“Very friendly, but food could do a bit better!”

George III Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The George III Hotel is an historic Inn set on the banks of the magnificent Mawddach Estuary. Originally built in 1650 the hotel now offers comfortable rooms and home cooked food to locals and guests alike who all come to enjoy great home cooked classics in a relaxed atmosphere with stunning views. All of our food is cooked on site and so during busy times there can be a delay. We use a wide range of local produce from award winning local suppliers to provide tasty, comforting classic dishes. We are proud to be in the 2017 Good Beer Guide and so you can always be confident of a cracking pint or real ale here. We are always happy to help so if you have any questions or would like to make a booking please do not hesitate to contact us.
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly, but food could do a bit better!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I visited the hotel for Lunch in October - we had read mixed reviews but decided to give it a go, as we had had a drink there in the past and knew it was in a beautiful location. My husband had a pint of real ale, and I had a surprisingly nice glass of Merlot. The barman (Landlord?) was very pleasant and friendly and made us feel very welcome. The waitresses were also very pleasant and efficient. I did like the decor of the place - very much the traditional British pub, with lots of dark wood, horse brasses and a lovely open fire. I would have the tables a fraction cleaner personally, but they didn't worry me. My husband had a burger, which he said was very good (and he is fussy!) but I had the roast pork which was slightly disappointing. The vegetables were a bit overcooked and lacking in flavour, and the pork itself not the best. Overall the lunch ok, but not great, hence my mixed review! I may have been unlucky in my choice, as other diners seemed very happy with theirs.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Good food. Great views”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

A friend and I called in for lunch the other day. The man behind the bar could have tried to be happy. The location, when the tide is in, is glorious. The food was well presented and good.

Snowdonia National Park, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

As a local I had come to expect (and accept) fairly slow service without the smile, and average pub grub, but after our latest visit I will not return. Dirty tables, dirty glasses, place could do with a good spring clean. Some good staff, some incredibly incompetent and rude, but all rather stretched. Appalling management however, with a poor attitude to customer service - in fact I get the impression they don't 'do' customer service - I had to send my meal back, and just got the refund thrown on the table. Do yourselves a favour, stop for a photograph of the stunning surroundings (its only saving grace) en route to one of the other many fantastic restaurants Snowdonia has to offer (e.g. The Cross Foxes, Bwyty Mawddach, etc. to name but a couple). What a shame for the place, very disappointing, sack the management!!

3 Thank wex_30
derry
“Outstanding food and great range of ale”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Can't help but rave about this place - it was recommended by the owners of Coed Cae B&B, and we had a great late dinner there at the end of september. The menu is huge given the location, and the food was both tasty and filling - for vegetarians also. Also had a range of ales on tap, including from the local brewery.

• Visited September 2012
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
“Superb location but service needs improving”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Have visited many times, sometimes to eat and sometimes just for a drink. Superb location, but at times very slow, particularly the bar service.
Staff are friendly, but it would benefit from a few more, so that they are not trying to multi-task all the time

Visited February 2012