All reviews fire pit pizza oven beautiful location pizza place bank holiday camping trip toilet block busy site electric hook ups pitch your tent no mobile phone signal lovely lake ice packs pen y pass clean toilets breakfast bar great site
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I struggled to find a site that would take a larger family &friends group and accommodate tents / roof tents/ camper vans all together so was really pleased when Llyn Gwynant accepted our booking back in spring for a 50th birthday trip. We came from all over UK so arrived at differing times on Friday day and quite late fri night but the reception staff had the booking and directed everyone ( pitching in the dark with kids is hard) to the designated group area reserved for us.
It's obviously been a challenging summer weather wise and the wardens work hard to manage the pitches but it's gotten quite muddy in places and the closest parking field was closed ( valley in Wales- yes it's wet) We did struggle to accommodate all the vans as edges were mashed but after a bit of advice and negotiation with wardens we all settled in ( massive thank you to site as we had little kids to keep safe and nearby ). Staff were really friendly at all times ( Rachel and Simon thru the booking process and site/ night wardens too) We loved the site- lake and river for swimming and kayaking, pizza, shop, toilets and showers, washing up area ( with boiling water urn and microwave-godsend) the lake views , the mountains. Amazing. We had a stern "be quiet" on first night ( well deserved as we were a bit excited to be there) and a friendly time check on second - its a quiet site. Really safe site - busy but spread out and friendly. A big range of people too. We had a fox trying to make off with the birthday cake which I think was hilarious and crows doing their thing but no other wildlife issues ( keep clean and tidy campers! ) overall a great experience. Will return but ditching the group as its like herding cats....

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank RWAStoke
LlynGwynantCampsite, Owner at Llyn Gwynant Campsite, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your appreciation, it's always lovely to get good reviews from people who have been "sternly" asked to be quiet! Groups camping here can be a challenge, for the "group leader" making the arrangements as well as for our staff. We are always especially anxious about birthday celebrations as it's never fun being the one to close down a party. But your review shows how worthwhile this can be when there is goodwill and good nature, and so thank you! We did get an unprecedented amount of rain in the 2 weeks before August bank holiday, which certainly did leave edges to the fields in a difficult state. But as you discovered, our staff are excellent and understand the difficulties for us and for campers, and will always do what it takes to solve problems if they are asked and respected. Thanks for the appreciation too of our facilities, we do everything we can to make camping here enjoyable, without spoiling the very things that campers come for, so it is good to hear that our water urn and microwaves are appreciated as well as our Cegin facilities. I'm glad your group enjoyed it here, congratulations on what was clearly your superior achievement of organisation, and I'm very glad we helped.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

Arrived at this campsite Thursday 5/9/2019. First impressions, lovely looking site. Pitched our tent right next to the lake and what a stunning view we had each morning. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Loved the fact that you can have campfires BUT a little disappointed that their wood is £5 a bag yet 6 miles to a town and its £3.75 or 3 for a tenner (hmmmm). You have to use their wood and can't use anything else on or off site. Showers are just awful I'm sorry to say. Not very warm and saturday evening there were non available until 9.30pm. Also they were pretty filthy. Mens WC block had no hand Dryer at all. Actually one that didn't work.
Would I return? Of course. The views and price was great BUT they need to sort out the showers and hand Dryer for sure. Sorry for the 3 stars but the showers were pretty crap.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thanks for your many positive comments, and yes our site is lovely and our staff terrific. I think you've missed the point about the price of wood here: our logs are kiln dried so it burns well with minimal smoke, are packaged in larger bags than you get elsewhere, and includes some that have kindling so you can start a fire easily. I don't believe many campers realise the significant costs of allowing fires: our wood price covers the cost of our steel fire pits (which are not cheap! and are provided free as well as the labour of cleaning up all the ash and burnt bits left in the pits afterwards. By requiring all wood is bought from us we also make sure it is sustainably sourced and we avoid campers bringing builders offcuts with nails and other hazards, or toxic treated timber. Sorry you didn't like our showers, they are hot and free and well maintained - but we are intending to upgrade them this winter, and finally have planning permission for additional facilities.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

We arrived at the site on Thursday night and I was a bit wary considering the most recent reviews. We had an EHU tent pitch pre-booked.

PROS:
• The drive up to the campsite is beautiful and the location is perfect
• Shower/washing up facilities were clean
• Amazing crystal-clear lake – even though it was raining we went swimming in it – freezing cold but so refreshing!!
• Cegin – On-site Pizza place – As per other reviews the pizzas were incredible and so were the nachos. I think very reasonably priced so I’m not sure why so many reviews on here say it is extortionate? Also local beer available which went down a treat
• Absolutely no mobile signal at all – a welcome escape for a few days

CONS:
• Very small pitches - We were directed to our pitch however on inspection the two tents either side of us had no pitched their tent in the middle so there was not enough room to pitch our tent. I went back to reception and they were happy enough to sort this out. Either asking the people in the pitches already to move their tents or moving us to another spot. We chose another pitch and set up camp

OVERALL:

Lovely site, friendly staff and clean facilities. Small pitches but if you are ok with this then you should really enjoy your stay. I would definitely recommend – Thank you for a nice stay!

Date of stay: September 2019

Thank you for so many positive comments, and yes we too think the prices of our Cegin are very reasonable! Our bays with EHU that can be booked for tents can take a maximum tent size of 7m x 5m, as stated on our bookings screen, although unbooked tents that do not require EHU can be larger. We have noticed in the last few years how much larger some tents are these days, and I'm afraid our bays simply cannot accommodate these. But I'm glad you talked to staff about the lack of room when you arrived because of how other tents had pitched, we will always sort out these difficulties when asked. Thanks for your appreciation and we look forward to having you here again.

Reviewed September 8, 2019

I had really difficult time at the campsite. The views there were absolutely amazing and I enjoyed walking out of my tent in the morning looking over the mountains. On the other had I had more of a negative experience than a positive. The weather was terrible, the rain didn't bother me to much but the wind was so strong it not only broke my tent, it broke a few other visitors tents to. There is not protection in the field if the winds get to 41mph. I'm glad we left when we did because the wind reached 61mph. The campsite was also infested with rats and there were no signs of any traps being laid out. These poor teenagers had rat running around there tents during the night. There food bar only opens two nights a week which is inconvient for some people, we would have to go to the next village to find something nice to eat besides our own food.

Room tip: Best views
1  Thank Emmaharper15
LlynGwynantCampsite, Manager at Llyn Gwynant Campsite, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2019

Unfortunately we are unable to control the weather, as much as we would like to... We are sorry to hear that your tent was damaged, however we point out that there has been forty years of investment in developing areas of significant tree planting around the site to address this very problem. Campers sometimes do pitch in places to take advantage of the lovely open views of the lake but don't always consider what might happen if the weather changes. We display the weather at reception daily and our staff are extremely knowledgeable about the local conditions. During times of bad weather it is always recommended to pitch behind a tree planting or in one of the fields away from the lake front where most of the prevailing wind comes from. We are in a mountainous area which means that conditions may change extremely quickly. Most of our campers appreciate this and prepare for it by pitching suitably.

Regarding the rats we do have humane traps in place, however these are not on public view for obvious reasons. We work with a consultant to control pests but it is not as simple as putting a few traps down: we have to consider other factors, such as camping children and dogs as well as impacts on other species such as water voles and otters. The heavy rain in late August exacerbated the problem and we are addressing it. Campers can help by ensuring food is properly stored in their tents and that rubbish is placed in our bins daily.

At this time of year we do open our Bar and pizza place on Friday and Saturday nights only. This is publicised clearly on our website. During the week there are not enough campers to warrant having it open, however we do still have a well stocked campsite shop.

Reviewed September 4, 2019

I am finding it very difficult to understand a lot of the recent negative comments posted on TA as I have camped at this site on numerous occasions over a lot of years and have always found the staff to be helpful and courteous.
I was there over the August bank holiday weekend and, as usual, had a great time. Our stay there was excellent and problem free. The food and drink outlets on the site are an excellent addition and I would defy anyone to find an 'attraction' in the UK that doesn't charge a bit more at peak times than you would normally expect to pay for their services. (Don't airlines charge more in the school holidays for instance). Toilets and showers are, in general, kept clean and tidy.
It was a very busy weekend on the site but we never came across any drunken gangs or people racing about in cars as mentioned on here by some.
And as for the reports of wildlife around the site, well I would be worried if there wasn't some sort of nocturnal wildlife activity, it shows the area to be healthy.
(Tip) Keep your immediate area clean and rubbish free, if there's nothing for them to eat the won't come. At the end of the day it is a field at the side of a lake which they are trying to keep as rural as possible. I can't imagine there's a camp site anywhere that doesn't have 'wildlife'.
In my opinion the folks who claim to have been at the site over the bank holiday (and I'm not sure they were) and have posted derogortary remarks about the site and the staff would have perhaps been better off 'glamping' or booking into some 5 star hotel somewhere as they are clearly not suited to 'camping'. Genuine campers do sometimes have cause for complaint but in my experience they sort it out ammicabley with the site manager/owner.

REMEMBER FOLKS, BEWARE FAKE NEWS.

Keep up the good work Llyn Gwynant you're doing a great job and my wife and I look forward to camping with you for years to come.

Date of stay: August 2019
2  Thank john w
LlynGwynantCampsite, Owner at Llyn Gwynant Campsite, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2019

We welcome your thoughtful review, thank you! Like you, we too believe the recent spate of poor reviews come in part from people who have never been here. Two annoyed customers have emailed promising bad reviews if we don't offer them a free camp here and have threatened to involve their friends. We never agree to such threats. Thank you for putting these complaints in context, especially as you're obviously one of our regulars. We are glad you approve of our small bar and pizzeria, and for noting that many complaints seem oddly to ignore that this is a campsite and not a built up luxury hotel. We do take heart from your encouragement so thank you once again.