“Birthday dinner”
Review of The Stonemill

The Stonemill
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Monmouth
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

All looking forward to a gastro experience which resulted in mixed views and an average overall rating. The menu offered good choice and quality food which was very well presented and enjoyed by us all apart from over cooked vegetables. However the let down was the service. Not an overly busy restaurant with a good complement of staff and yet little engagement with customers as the waitresses were seen chatting together at the bar, so no one came and asked how the food was and whether any more drinks were required. The price was fair for the quality of the food and wine but not for the poor service.

Reviewed October 6, 2017

I have to say the food was of a very high standard and beautifully put together. However the service was shocking this will be perhaps the first time in many years I haven't left a tip. After waiting 20 minutes for a drink I approached the bar where 3 members of staff were leaning and chatting and were frankly indeferrent to me . We waited a long time between courses and for a meal of over £200 for five people I would expect more .

Reviewed October 2, 2017

Visited in early September on a Saturday evening with friends. The food was excellent and the service friendly but unfortunately the was a large group of good natured but very noisy chaps spread over two tables and we were sandwiched in between. It would have been nice to have been warned or sat somewhere a little quieter as it became very difficult to hold a conversation. Wouldn't put us off visiting again though.

Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I went here at the weekend and could not fault it. I had the Welsh Beef and my wife had the Lamb, both were amazing. The staff were attentive and the atmosphere was lovely. I would definitely recommend and look forward to returning in the future.

Reviewed September 27, 2017

I am not one to post about my meals or rave about meals I have eaten but tonight my wife and I had an exquisite experience at The Stone Mill. Kingstone Gold ale from the keg was a welcome accompaniment to a starter of rarebit on a bed of tomato varietals. For the main we both had the Lamb but before this course we were treated to a sample of Autumn vegetable soup (which was outstanding) and some packed scones which left our taste buds fully exercised! The lamb was a highlight also, with delicious vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes. The final highlight for me was the panna cotta desert, with caramel and pieces of honeycomb. Absolutely superb! With delightful surroundings that utilise the mill setting perfectly with the right balance of sophistication melded with rustic charm, we cannot recommend The Stone Mill highly enough.