“Friendly service and very good food in a good location.”
Review of The Stonemill

The Stonemill
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Monmouth
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Having done a lazy Google search for 'Monmouth restaurants' The Stonemill was the first one listed, it's not in Monmouth but is very close by in a really pleasant setting. Always keen to find good non-chain restaurants with interesting menus, ideally with fresh, locally sourced produce with a price tag that doesn't break the bank - this is a hard match but I'm happy to say The Stonemill ticked all the boxes. We arrived early and were served drinks outside in the garden and given time to look at the menu. My dinner companion and myself opted for their set 3 course menu and were both very impressed with each course. The service was friendly and attentive and I'd have no hesitation in going back the next time I'm in that area.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We recently went back to this Restaurant after being away from the area for 8 years and I have to say it was as impressive as ever. The standard of food was excellent and my son who was with us from London could not get over the value for money for Sunday lunch. All the food was very well presented and they have a good wine list. The staff are lovely and very helpful. The restaurant is in a lovely setting overlooking the Monmouthshire hills - if you are ever in this area this is one not to be missed. They also have some lovely self-catering cottages and there is plenty of parking. We will return.

1  Thank Yvonne W
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Wow what can I say, a group of 8 of us booked for this and felt it a tiny bit disappointing we couldn't have the Alacarte menu (late booking) but we didn't have to worry. After enjoying a drink and canapes in the garden on a beautiful sunny evening the set menu we were presented with was more than adequate, it had a fair range of choices and for 5 adults and 3 children presented more than one dish on each course that we would of all been happy with. The mussels for starters were excellent, even though they were cooked with chorizo this did not overpower the flavour of the mussels, kudos to the chef. Most of us had the steak for main and they were all cooked perfectly, I had mine M/R and it was just lovely, tender and rested perfectly but still hot. The jus was rich and was just enough. For desserts I had the chocolate pudding and pistachio ice cream and some of us had the white chocolate panacotta/poached pear and blackcurrant sorbet. They were all excellent, after the waitress informed us that all the ice creams were made on site this enhanced our enjoyment. All in all a wonderful experience, the staff were attentive and knowledgeable, the food was on par and above with the cost, well deserved two rosettes, a great little restaurant and they should all be proud.

2  Thank Phill M
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was my first visit. The setting for this restaurant is really beautiful. We were served appetizers and drinks in the garden with delightful views of the Welsh countryside and then called for our meal. This was a set menu but with the choice of 4 items on each course. As we were 13 in total we had pre-ordered. The food was delicious ,and presented very well, only one slight criticism was no mint sauce with the lamb, otherwise faultless. The service was excellent. Will certainly visit again

2  Thank Rae D
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Beautiful setting for that special day with lovely self catering cottages for family and friends to stay in. Ideal for that special day with marquee available for reception .