“Well done Stonemill!”

The Stonemill
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Monmouth
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Wow what can I say, a group of 8 of us booked for this and felt it a tiny bit disappointing we couldn't have the Alacarte menu (late booking) but we didn't have to worry. After enjoying a drink and canapes in the garden on a beautiful sunny evening the set menu we were presented with was more than adequate, it had a fair range of choices and for 5 adults and 3 children presented more than one dish on each course that we would of all been happy with. The mussels for starters were excellent, even though they were cooked with chorizo this did not overpower the flavour of the mussels, kudos to the chef. Most of us had the steak for main and they were all cooked perfectly, I had mine M/R and it was just lovely, tender and rested perfectly but still hot. The jus was rich and was just enough. For desserts I had the chocolate pudding and pistachio ice cream and some of us had the white chocolate panacotta/poached pear and blackcurrant sorbet. They were all excellent, after the waitress informed us that all the ice creams were made on site this enhanced our enjoyment. All in all a wonderful experience, the staff were attentive and knowledgeable, the food was on par and above with the cost, well deserved two rosettes, a great little restaurant and they should all be proud.

2  Thank Phill M

Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was my first visit. The setting for this restaurant is really beautiful. We were served appetizers and drinks in the garden with delightful views of the Welsh countryside and then called for our meal. This was a set menu but with the choice of 4 items on each course. As we were 13 in total we had pre-ordered. The food was delicious ,and presented very well, only one slight criticism was no mint sauce with the lamb, otherwise faultless. The service was excellent. Will certainly visit again

2  Thank Rae D
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Beautiful setting for that special day with lovely self catering cottages for family and friends to stay in. Ideal for that special day with marquee available for reception .

Reviewed July 15, 2014

After reading the reviews I was expecting something fantastic and it really was all that.

Living in London, i'm used to high standards when it comes to a meal and being served, but honestly the service was so fantastic here. The young man who served us was great from start to finish, giving us free appetizers, recommending dishes, mixing up desserts to form a perfect combination (vanilla cheesecake with chocolate sauce and home made ice cream) & then putting a birthday candle on my dessert, which hadn't even been asked for! 11/10 service.

The food was delcious, fantastically locally sourced produce - big thumbs up.
Fresh and tender, steak was cooked perfectly. Only criticism was that there could have been slightly more flavours, however it was beautifully cooked and perfectly presented, that it honestly wasn't a big deal and it was all eaten.

I would advise everyone and anyone to try this restaurant if given the opportunity, myself and my family will certainly be back again!!

FANTASTIC!!!

P.S GREAT WINE LIST - NOT OVERPRICED LIKE MANY PLACES!

2  Thank crazykaya
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went here for my birthday after researching the best place to go. I was looking for somewhere really good that use quality, well thought out, ingredients without being overly creative. I like a plate filled with the main ingredients complimented by the restrained addition of other favors, not the other way around. Everything was wonderful, stretching my simple tastes to try new things without challenging them too much. The soup was wonderful and went beautifully with the goat cheese bruschetta. My teen boys ate every lags bite of their generously sized steaks. One son actually closed his eyes to just focus on the taste of his perfectly cooked steak. The deserts were sublime! The service was great. The atmosphere was lovely. The only catch is it's a little out of the way. But it's only 15 minutes from Raglan Castle and not much further than that to Tintern Abbey.

2  Thank RamblingRose42