“Birthday Dinner - First time here!”
Review of The Stonemill

The Stonemill
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Monmouth
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Reviewed July 15, 2014

After reading the reviews I was expecting something fantastic and it really was all that.

Living in London, i'm used to high standards when it comes to a meal and being served, but honestly the service was so fantastic here. The young man who served us was great from start to finish, giving us free appetizers, recommending dishes, mixing up desserts to form a perfect combination (vanilla cheesecake with chocolate sauce and home made ice cream) & then putting a birthday candle on my dessert, which hadn't even been asked for! 11/10 service.

The food was delcious, fantastically locally sourced produce - big thumbs up.
Fresh and tender, steak was cooked perfectly. Only criticism was that there could have been slightly more flavours, however it was beautifully cooked and perfectly presented, that it honestly wasn't a big deal and it was all eaten.

I would advise everyone and anyone to try this restaurant if given the opportunity, myself and my family will certainly be back again!!

FANTASTIC!!!

P.S GREAT WINE LIST - NOT OVERPRICED LIKE MANY PLACES!

2  Thank crazykaya

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went here for my birthday after researching the best place to go. I was looking for somewhere really good that use quality, well thought out, ingredients without being overly creative. I like a plate filled with the main ingredients complimented by the restrained addition of other favors, not the other way around. Everything was wonderful, stretching my simple tastes to try new things without challenging them too much. The soup was wonderful and went beautifully with the goat cheese bruschetta. My teen boys ate every lags bite of their generously sized steaks. One son actually closed his eyes to just focus on the taste of his perfectly cooked steak. The deserts were sublime! The service was great. The atmosphere was lovely. The only catch is it's a little out of the way. But it's only 15 minutes from Raglan Castle and not much further than that to Tintern Abbey.

2  Thank RamblingRose42
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Had a wonderful sunday lunch here a week ago. This restaurant is set in a lovely location and is a very charming setting. The menu was extensive offering a selection of starters and a choice of 3 meats for lunch. The mushroom soup was sublime and the beef was cooked to perfection and I was told the pork was v tasty also. Last (but not least) the staff were very attentive indeed. A lovely Sunday lunch out. Thank you

1  Thank Welshsteve_11
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We wanted to take a client of 93 to lunch, near Monmouth, found Stonemill on Tripadviser, and we had a wonderful lunch, The mushroom soup with truffle oil was superb, and the fillet of trout, and raglan lamb could not befaulted. Could not eat a pudding as we were too full. The wine list was good and not too expensive.

1  Thank SouthWalesMattie
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We have visited the Stonemill regularly over the last 11 years, probably averaging about 3 or 4 times a year. We visit as a couple, with our family, and with our friends. We have, without exception, only ever had between very good and excellent service. The food is very very good, although it doesn't quite hit the Michelin star standard, it is always delicious.

Menu
The Stonemill is a very nice restaurant, it is not a gastropub and so their menu reflects that. If you are going to go to the Stonemill, make a lovely foodie evening/ lunchtime of it. Spend time, and relish the food and wine... savour every bite and you will love it. Conversely, if you go wanting a quick mile high pile of chips and a burger, you won't find what you're looking for (although their chips are yum!). I often find new things on the menu (which always has all sorts of lovely local produce) that encourage me to try something new and a bit different. That said, they always maintain nods to the long term favourites - such as their scallops which my husband maintains that you can not get nicer anywhere, including the Caribbean!! The nice thing is that, at the Stonemill, even if you try something out of your comfort zone, you can trust that it will be delicious. The canapés (you usually get three or four lovely morsels to tempt you whilst having an aperitif) are always something to particularly look forward to at the start of the meal, along with the homemade breads, and desserts are always just fantastic, not that the main course isn't! I often have steaks at the Stonemill, either sirloin or fillet (I don't elsewhere) because they are always beautifully done just as you order and their accompaniments compliment perfectly, my stomach is starting to grumble just thinking of it! The wine list is also very good and extensive and the bar is always very well stocked with all the good stuff!

Ambience/ Staff
The ambience that the staff create in the beautiful environment of the Stonemill easily beats a number of restaurants boasting Michelin star chefs that we have tried in various locations between south Wales and central London; our favourite description of the stonemill is "formally informal" - the staff are very good at responding individually to whatever group of people they have, applying just the right level of attention, whether they need to be courteous and discreet, or engage in a lovely long laughy catch-up of happenings of Monmouthshire over the last few months! We are always impressed at how we never spot any time wasting. All the staff, led by Michelle and Jared, are constantly on the move, doing, and if not, patiently waiting to serve the next requirement. We have never felt any kind of loitering or lingering whilst we have been enjoying conversations that you wouldn't want overheard!! There was once a member of staff who fell below par, about 5 years ago, but it was their second day so we allowed them some leeway although they weren't there the next time we went back.

££'s
Costs wise, I would say you get very good value for the menu and level of service. You can see an example menu on line and I think costs. And if you just want to go and sample and have a bit of time on your hands, their market (set) menu (evening only I think) and lunchtime set menu's are really outstanding value... particularly the lunchtime menu. And that is just as a restaurant. I have scored it as £££ because we usually spoil ourselves and enjoy the a la carte, but eating on a slightly more sensible budget is very much doable.

Events...
So, as an event venue: we have just had our wedding reception for 100 people in the marquee there and that was a good call. The reason we booked was what we called "The Michelle factor" - the fact that we knew that whatever chaos had just ensued at the church, once we arrived at the stonemill, it would all be ok. And it was. Clean plates and compliments to the chef all round (see above re food - makes no difference if it's for 2 or 100covers) and the rest of the day just ran beautifully. Other benefits included the fact that we got access to decorate the marquee for the whole of the preceding week (unlike most wedding venues) and the team there were all so helpful in any possible way they could be (we borrowed super glue for a nail emergency, garden ties for tea light emergencies, tractors for transport emergencies!!) and the location is beautiful.... the views are gorgeous. - assuming the weather plays fair! We used all of the cottages on site, which are very nicely restored. I was a little sceptical at first as online they do look quite oldy worldy and I was a bit worried about some of my guests, but they really are done to a lovely standard, befitting the Stonemill.... go and have a look!...and the beds... oh so comfy.

Trying to think of a downside or some advice in order to make this a "useful" review, but honestly can't think of one. Would thoroughly recommend altogether.
Reason for this long ramble is not because I want to be on the payroll (honestly, I have a day job!) it's because so often those with a small issue to gripe about will find the time to write all about it on trip advisor, yet those who have a good experience don't. We are one of those people who have had great experiences for 11 years, so it's about time we said so.

3  Thank airportgirl1