“Worth the trip”

The Stonemill
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Monmouth
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Beautiful restaurant with wonderful atmosphere and good food. We actually got to sit outside in the garden; it was a beautiful day ( surprise, surprise!). Starter was a lovely mushroom soup for me. We were there on Sunday and we all had the beef. It was a little tough; the gravy was good but not great and the potatoes could have been cooked a bit longer; nice veg. The dessert of chocolate fondant with mascarpone was fabulous. Reasonably priced. Overall I loved the place. Very nice staff. A very pleasant day. Btw they have b&b there; very nice looking cottages; I would try on next visit to the area.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We visited the Stonemill as we were staying near & the menu looked nice. When we arrived we didn't realise they offer accommodation of bed & breakfast but also letting cottages too. From the outside we were not too sure what to expect as it looked rather like a cottage.
When we went in we were amazed at how lovely it is. Its an old cider mill with the mill parts still inside. You walk in onto a higher level with really lovely seating & glass walls. We sat for a drink before dinner & were brought some lovely canapes. Mini Quail's egg scotch eggs, Crayfish tail tartlets & Welsh rarebit quiche pieces. We could have eaten them all again as they were that scrumy.
There were two menus to choose from, the Market menu which is set two or three course dinner for £17.95 & £19.95 respectively. There were four of each course to choose from on this menu & there was something to suit all.
On the mail menu the choices were well thought out, very well balanced & looked lovely. Also on the main menu is a list of suppliers & sources of food. It is nice to know they use as much local produce as they can as well as growing their own where they can. We chose items off the Market menu.
Just before our starters were ready we were shown to our table & greeted with lovely warm rolls & oils for dipping. Our drinks were also brought over for us which was an added bonus.
The starters were lovely, well presented & tasted just as nice. The mains & puddings were equally as delicious and were tender, juicy & full of flavor.
We were never rushed, more encouraged to take our time. It was very relaxed, rather romantic & one of the best meals I've had.
It cost less than £50 for three courses for two people including drinks which i think is a bargain.
Have to mention the staff were police, friendly & very knowledgeable about the food on offer, which made the experience even better.

1  Thank midgetgembw
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We came here for a special family birthday and had the traditional Sunday lunch which was absolutely delicious. All the food is locally sourced and some of the veg is grown on site. There was enough choice on the menu to cater for everyone in our party and childrens meals were the same as the adult menu but are half price. All the portions were of a good size. This restaurant is a real gem and we will definitely come back here again. All the staff were very friendly and polite.

The only negative:- chairs don't fit under the tables and this made it a bit awkward. I was seated on the end of a table and everyone who walked past knocked it which was rather annoying.

1  Thank loobylou2007
Reviewed May 4, 2013

It's been a while since our last visit so we expected a few changes.
However, the staff were as friendly as previously and the food was still very good.
My only negative comment being, the tables are far to close and the noise was deafening. Unfortunately we 4 were seated below the upper section near to the toilet exit, surrounded by much larger tables. At times it became impossible to hear each other across the table, when we go again I will request a table near to the bar/lounge area as they seem to have far more head/air space.

1  Thank ladylee23
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, the setting is just stunning, an old converted mill over looking the Monmouth country side.

When we arrived, the waiter greeted us warmly and sat us at the bar with a nice cold drink and some delicious canapes whilst he prepared the table.

My wife and I ate off the market menu, a set menu with a good selection. The dishes were very well thought out and I found it difficult to choose as it all looked fantastic. I ordered the terrine, steak and then the Welsh cakes. It was all cooked beautifully and made from top quality ingredients. I'm a big guy and three courses was enough, but I'd probably have needed a side if I went for 2 courses, which the waiter had advised.

To top it off, the bill for myself and my wife was only £45 including 2 beers - an absolute bargain. Definitely will be coming back!

1  Thank Tommy102