“a pizza evening” 4 of 5 bubbles

Pizza Express
Ranked #22 of 57 Restaurants in Monmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“a pizza evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Light and airy - plenty of space. Excellent service - very friendly and helpful. Not hurried. Enjoyed a shared starter, our pizzas and a salad.

Visited May 2014

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Takeaway....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I went in yesterday afternoon to get a Takeaway. I was greeted nicely & told that someone would be along to take my order shortly.
Im only reviewing from the takeaway side as i havent eaten in for a few yrs.
Pizzas are the usual good standard you expect from this Chain. However my Waitress seemed a bit clueless as to what ingredients I wanted. She didnt realise Proscutto Cotto is Ham & I wanted Anchovies... Perhaps recap orders would help. She found it hard to work out my change in Change... Bad Day perhaps?
I only go there if Im in Monmouth as I dont live in the area. yes i'd go back as it is what it is, Restaurant is Clean & atmosphere is good. Staff training is needed on the Food served though.

Forest of Dean Gloucestershire
“The meal was delightful but the staff were awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We often visit Pizza Express Monmouth when we are in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. It is only 6 miles away, a beautiful pleasant drive to an equally pleasant town.
The restaurant serves a good variety of fabulous meals including those who need Gluten Free and nothing, and I mean nothing, is too much trouble.
Everything is done to make your visit as enjoyable as possible, including keeping children entertained with crayons and drawing book or paper. The staff are swift, yet still able to exchange a few words of senior conversation. Teenagers are not overlooked either, as many of the staff are able to relate to this age of 'customer' and get them talking about things relevant to many youngsters, thus relaxing them and everyone else for the mealtime.
As a bonus they also do takeaways as well, which is great for an on the spur meal in the great outdoors during the sunshine, especially if camping at the campsite up the road.
Give it a try and enjoy!! :)

• Visited May 2014
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
“Pizza Express really excels... Queen & Morgan fans please read on.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have to say that when we normally visit Pizza Express or any of the well known Restaurant chains we invariably always know what you're going to eat before you look at the menu as things rarely change that much and certain dishes become favourites.

Tonight was different at Pizza Express Monmouth. There is a new spring menu on offer which has the old favourites but some really scrummy new dishes. I had the Risotto Fresco for starter whilst my wife chose the Bruschetta Con Fungi. For mains she chose the Risotto Fresco and I had the Leggera Salmon salad. Only the bruschetta was an older menu dish all of the others are new offerings.

The Risotto was really tasty with a nice creamy consistency and just enough bite of pepper to add to the salmon and rocket. Initially I was disappointed by the started portion but realised that it was just enough. My wife’s bruschetta was also really creamy with the taste of the chestnut mushrooms matched against the béchamel sauce. My leggera Salmon salad was an explosion of colour on a plate that just had to be devoured. The nice touch was the addition of pipe nuts as additional flavour and a dressing of just plain lemon juice which I always find adds to any salad.

There are a couple of reasons I like Pizza Express, there's always offers available, tonight we ate on a two course for £10 per head. Secondly the kitchen forms part of the restaurant so you know who’s cooking your meal and how clean it is etc. It’s always fresh and everything is made fresh even the pizza ovens are in the corner of the restaurant. Many times we have eaten in Pizza Express in Monmouth and maybe there's some item in a salad that we don't like or want and we are always offered any alternative or offered a bit more of something we do like. You can’t do that where everything comes out of packets and boxes!

Staff are always very friendly and always acknowledge us on return visits which do make this a better class of restaurant rather than the run of the mill chains.

Other points to note at this restaurant:-

There is a large mirror on the wall containing the lyrics of the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody" which was recorded about 3 miles away in the legendary Rockfield Studios.

In its past life the building was once a garage/showroom for the famous Morgan hand built sports cars so the other side is adorned by drawings and memorabilia of the famous three wheeler Morgans.

They have been part of the Pizza Express jazz concerts with local musicians providing live music which have all been fantastic although to my knowledge these have not been run for a few years

If you like Pizza Express and want to experience a proper restaurant call in a sample the Monmouth branch you will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2014
Yatton, United Kingdom
“I know it's Pizza Express, but it's brill!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

This feels a bit like trying to review a MacDonald's - Pizza Express is mainstream, you know what you're getting etc. etc.

But the restaurant in Monmouth is a cut above. Always a lovely atmosphere, always helpful staff, and somehow the food just tastes better.

Last time we went there was a spur-of-the-moment thing, and the whole experience was absolutely fantastic. Loved it.

• Visited April 2014