“Idyllic setting and wonderful hosts”

Mill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monmouth
Mill House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 23 Monmouth B&B and Inns
Oxfordshire
“Idyllic setting and wonderful hosts”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed at Mill House with my husband for Valentines Weekend. We were pleasantly surprised to find on arrival that the house looked even better in reality than in photos. The setting is absolutely gorgoeus with lovely gardens. The rooms are furnished to the highest spec. The proprietors, Denise and Chris, were very friendly and also run an art gallery from the premises. The weekend was more like a visit to friends, as Chris and Denise made us feel so welcome and at home. Its also a great base for exploring the Black mountains and Tintern Abbey or for picking up an original art work! We will certainly be visiting again!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicholasandnicola

Business
S of England
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My wife and I have just got back from a 2 night break away after a busy period in our lives. I could only book the place I wanted to for 1 night so ended up looking for another night and "gambled" on the Mill House. What a WINNER!

I could write loads, or simply you can read the other 2 reviews so far posted and I will echo everything they have said. However, in the interest of adding value;
We arrived late afternoon to Denise and her big smile on the doorstep an immediate offer of tea, coffee or wine. We went for tea and then a little later Denise gave us both a large glass of wine to start the evening off.

We eat in the Crown (expensive but worth every penny and we don't generally do expensive) and Denise was ready to drive down to collect us and bring us back to her place at around 11 at night. We didn't ask, she just insisted. In the end we borrowed a torch from the Crown, the Crown rang Denise to say we were walking and so we walked the 0.8 miles back. Denise thought we were mad as she would have come to get us. However, she also said in future, she too would walk back! For all who read this and follow us, remind her and Chris; no driving to and from the Crown, walking only!

I can only agree that the breakfast is fantastic. And after the Crown, hard work to do it full justice....but we did or at least we tried.

Denise and Chris only let 2 or 3 rooms. As a result, you are treated to their personal attention without intrusion. So whilst everything else about the Mill House is excellent, the service takes it to another level.

Denise, Chris, If you read your own reviews; a big thank you for a fantastic start to our weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyTim
DYCA, Owner at Mill House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Tim

we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you sincerely for your splendid review.

kind regards

Denise
Dundee
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I live in Hotels pretty much every week of my live, so the thought of another hotel over a weekend was not at all attractive. Searching the web I came up with Mill House and what a find!
The location was superb, down a quiet lane and about 4 miles from the town of Monmouth. The house is sitting in beautiful gardens and has a plethora of wildlife on the Mill pond which my bedroom overlooked including a resident Kingfisher.

On arrival Denise, the owner made me feel like an old friend offering me tea or something stronger! to suit me. The bedroom was fantastic, a massive Super King bed that you could get lost in with views over the ponds and the gardens.

What was uniquely amazing about the place was the Art, Mill House also serves as an Art Gallery and there we so many wonderful pieces to view I even bought a painting as a treat for myself.

I hadn't booked anywhere for dinner and Denise used her close ties with the Crown Michelin star restaurant about a mile a way and got me a table at the last minute.

Coming back from the Crown, after a fabulous meal, Denise and Chris even invited me to join them for a night cap and provided me with a list of things I could do as well as Golf at the Celtic Manor.

Breakfast was a feast, - real freshly squeezed juice and a full Welsh breakfast including home made muesli, and eggs from the Mill House flock.

The attention to detail was great and nothing seemed too much trouble.

I can't wait to get some time off to spend more time in Mill House, I just wish some of the Hotels I stay in were 10 percent as good as Mill House!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank marionmcdonald
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Denise Yapp, the host and owner of Mill House, is an art dealer and the front room of this large two storey house has been converted into a gallery for local artist’s works. Denise is a friendly, engaging host and she and husband Chris made us very welcome on arrival, with coffee in the beautiful chef’s kitchen and lots of assistance finding a place to have dinner that night (a Sunday). Denise even rang the George (the pub in St Briavels - recommended) to check that they were open for dinner. After a great meal, we returned to Mill House and had a pleasantly late night of drinks and conversation with our very likeable hosts, before retiring to our room.

The room was fabulous – very large and spacious with great views out the windows in 2 directions over the landscaped gardens. A luxury bathroom, huge king-size bed, lovely art on the walls and beautiful furnishings made it a very pleasant environment in which to relax. Located in the picturesque Wye Valley in Wales, there is plenty to do in the local area – we visited the nearby ruins of Tintern Abbey and Raglan Castle, both great English heritage properties if you are into history.

Breakfast was awe inspiring – delicious homemade bircher muesli followed by a massive cooked breakfast of anything we wanted. We didn’t need any lunch that day… All in all, a great romantic getaway and a shame we only had one night there. We would definitely stay again if ever in the area. One note: Mill House is not cheap as it is at the luxury end of the B&B market. Denise does take credit cards however.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple