“BEYOND THE PALE”

Ranked #9 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“BEYOND THE PALE”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is the worse ever dirty,smelly and falling apart place I've ever stayed in.The "recommended" breakfast was greasy and all bought from the local Lidl's or Iceland,extremely poor,basically inedible.
Parking was near non existant but there was a car park (pay and display) in walking distance.
The room was smelly with mould around the shower and dirty lavatory that didn't work properly.The duvets and mattress, which WE had to change, was all stained.Repeated reports to the Manager (Neil, who seemed to stay in the same dirty stained clothes our whole stay) and the staff achieved nothing.
It was full of "permanent" residents and was akin to a DSS hostel with people just moving rooms about, apparently, to fit in the "paying" guests.The bar was full of what certainly appeared to be underage school aged drinkers.They were loud until later hours as well as the "smoking patio(a dingy back yard) smelling of not legal substances.No other pub we went to in town seemed to have this age group.
This wasn't value for money, it was pure robbery. NEVER go there.Environmental health and the police should shut this place!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shane C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had the misfortune to stay at the Queens Head in Monmouth in July 2012. I was cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats using a variety of bed-and-breakfast establishments and youth hostels.
It was quite simply awful. The room itself was dirty, the decor 1970s, the toilet blocked. I told the manager about the toilet but no effort was made to unblock it. I found the breakfast to be inedible.
At 46 years of age this is certainly the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in, and I do not doubt that it may well be the worst bed-and-breakfast in the whole of the UK.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Philip K

Travelers are raving about these Monmouth hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stay here at your peril...We have just returned from a weekend in monmouth..Monmouth itself is quite nice but this hotel was the worst ive stayed in in my life. I would have rather slept on the street than stay here. The manager neil was ok but wore the same dirty red jumper the entire stay, our room was filthy smelled of damp and dont get me started on the bathroom,i went with my partner and another couple...we stayed out at night as late as we could as we cudnt face going into the hell hole..I agree with everything people have written about this place. The breakfast made us hurl....If anyone has left any positive remarks about this hotel then they must be relatives or the owner himself.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dudley19
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in from a cleanliness and comfort point of view. The building is historic and interesting which is why I choose it. bearing that in mind I'm not too fussed that the carpets were threadbare or that paint and the ceiling were peeling. What I objected to was the dirty room - floor not vacuumed, sheets looked suspiciously like they hadn't been changed. The plumbing is poor and the toilet wouldn't flush. It was full of paper when we arrived, and remained blocked with paper for the whole of the 3 days were unfortunately spent there - despite telling staff about it, it was not fixed. There was damp mould too and there was that nasty musty "old chruch" smell about the place. The breakfast was greasy, tepid and tasted horrible. Never head of decaf coffee and even though I asked for dry toast, it still came slathered with nasty looking spread - I didn't have the courage to eat the toast, so I have no idea if it was butter or margerine.

Probably the worst thing about my stay was that I decided to have a walk round town after breakfast before going out for the day. The owner/manager had said he would be open all day, but when I returned to the hotel a couple of hours later, to collect my coat and car keys, the door was locked and I couldn't get back in. I rang his mobile phone number, but alas, no answer. That day trip out into the countryside which we planned was therefore ruined and I had to hang around Monmouth all day, and keep going back to the hotel to check if it had opened yet. There isn't much to do in Monmouth and we had already walked around town for 2 hours. If you're staying at a pub to start with, it's quite ironic when you're obliged to pass the time having refreshments at a completely different pub nearby.

In hindsight I really wished I had booked the local Wetherspoons hotel to start with. The staff were far more friendly and helpful in Wetherspoons, plus it turned out to be cheaper there too, for both drinks AND accomodation!!

Don't make the same mistake too....

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is please stay at a different hotel instead
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Little A
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Stayed here for a few days this week. Great location, clean comfortable beds, hearty breakfast and the Manager was extemely welcoming and a very interesting character. The family thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - sorry we missed the music evenings which are reputed to be very good indeed. If you want the 'Ritz ' go there and pay the price...if you want great value for money, Queens Head fits the bill!! Thanks Neil - we will be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My stay at the Queens Head inn helped to make our trip something special. The inn is a rambling old building with lots of character and history- having harboured Oliver Cromwell in it's cellar. It's central location and easy parking makes it very convenient and its very good value for money. The cooked breakfasts are fresh and excellent, the bar is welcoming. So what if it's a bit frayed around the edges - the beds are comfortable and linen clean. However it's the great spirit and friendly, helpful manner of landlord Neil who really makes this place unique. I'd certainly stay again and look forward to checking out the jazz nights.

• Stayed August 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Just back from Monmouth, had a good time and a memorable stay at this inn. Ok the rooms are a bit dated, and its not the 'Ritz'-BUT- it is a friendly, comfortable and FUN place to stay. The breakfast was delicious and the atmosphere in general was laid back and unpretentious-great! Wish I could have been there for some Jazz...! Thank you to Neil for a welcoming and interesting stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
Riverside Hotel
#7 of 21 in Monmouth
Mayhill Hotel
Mayhill Hotel
#5 of 21 in Monmouth

Been to Queen's Head Monmouth? Share your experiences!