“Great Escape”
Review of Tyn-y-Groes Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ganllwyd
Tyn-y-Groes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganllwyd B&B and Inns
worcestershire
“Great Escape”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just came back from 2 night stay on KGB deal. Great value accommodation and food was really great. We ate both nights and were very satisfied with both our meals. Staff and owners were very helpful and friendly. The hotel was a great location for getting around and there is plenty to do. We went to the waterfall down the road which was beautiful and its recommended if you are an able walker to walk along the waterfall as its so serene. ( you almost feel like you may see some fairies about under the toadstools!!!).There is a path though to walk if you choose not too. Over the road is some lovely walks in the forest and are fit to walk for all ages with a picnic and bbq site. Barmouth is not far and the beach is great too. Good value.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the house and was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am originally from Harlech and know the area well and the Tyn y Groes location from having passed the hotel several times in the last 30 years.

My wife and I have seen many hotels, some good, some bad (we go to Tunisia every year.)

In a double room - when I asked for a double bed, I would not expect to find two singles pushed together - in Africa yes, not in the UK where we have trade description acts

The Tyn y Groes is tired, needs modernising and for the price, poor quality.

The food (evening meal and breakfast) was poor, instant coffee in a coffee jug was certainly not expected. We had to provide brown bread for toast as they didn;t have any and my wife has a white bread allergy.

We stayed in room three which at 8pm we realised was above the main bar, thank god we were not above the pool table room. As this is obviosuly an old building (coaching Inn) the floors are thin with gaps, we heard bar guest voices and laughter throughout the night until the bar shut at midnight, then blissfull quiet. Not a good night's sleep...................

The evening waiting staff comprised of two girls of what I describe as McDonalds / St Trinians School-girl type rejects - I don't expect laughing and giggling while we ate eminating from the kitchen and I certinly was horrified to hear guests being discussed in their local Welsh language - not complimentary at all!!! I wished them both a "noswaith dda" to very red faced and embarrased looks - I speak fluent welsh with a local accent.............

I end with two good points - free WiFi and excellent views (from the road), parking was adequate.

The best till last - Hot water for the shower, it will only work if you run the hot water tap in the sink. Having stood under a cold shower for 7 minutes, I finally went down (clothed) to seek assistance. The remedy was that as the building is so old, the hot water has to travel from the furthest point in the hotel until it reaches the showers in the rooms.

For a 2013 coaching hotel, the missing items were the horses and coaches, what I would exect from this antiquainted Inn - not a hotel in my book.

May I suggest that if you wish to have a hot shower before dinner, turn on the shower unti at 2pm, you may be lucky.

For a peaceful night - go elsewhere and return to the room at midnight.

For good food, McDonalds if they have ventured North or the seaside chip shop. Lunchtime snacks were adequate, but we chose cold cuts and fried frozen chips.

With my experience of staying in UK and foreign hotels, I regard this as a 2 star in need of considerable refurb and modernising - a filter coffee machine would help - but tht sounds pickie!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank dafudd
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I am sorry that you found your stay unaccommodating to this extent as the comments you left in our visitor book are in conflict with your statement above particularly when you said you would return.
Anyway, to address some of your gripes; its standard practice to adjoin single beds to make a king size double (the beds are designed for it) I’ve also been to Tunisia a most unpleasant experience a real rip off destination.
You omit to say in your comments above, and as you omitted to inform us, that your wife has dietary problems, and that she had her own bread and milk so it wasn’t a problem, i went through our menu and investigated on your behalf what the contents of the food was i.e. the sausages for breakfast to ensure your wife would not suffer any reactions.
I’m amazed that you went to bed at 8.00, I’ve since found out that you came down at 9.30 for some drinks, I’m happy to say that we are busy and other people are out to enjoy themselves, I still can believe that you didn’t join in as there was a predominance of welsh speakers in that night. I could have relocated you to another room but they would have been single beds!
We’ve had comments about the waiting on staff that they are sullen, we try to allow young people to gain work experience in this sort of environment and now you complain about them, not right is it? and at no time do they ever talk disparagingly about any customers, maybe your welsh isn’t son good as it used to be .
I do note that "I end with two good points" there’s 3 and then you continue argh!
Hot water; when i came up, I showed that you actually been running the cold tap in error and that you had switched the shower off, i do try to help and the showers are electric, so it’s instantaneous. The rest is garbage.
Then finally the food as I mentioned earlier about your wife’s dietary problems, so how did you have sandwiches and our chips are very good quality, that was your choice.
Why would we modernise a perfectly good rustic, Old World Inn with all its inherent charms, try finding one in Tunisia as there all probably blown up by now.
Indecently, while you were here, we had two other guests who are staying for 12 days and have done so for the last eight years, picky eh!

Travelers are raving about these Ganllwyd hotels

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

On the same MTB trip as listed below by 'Al'.

I concur with his commentary on the whole. Poor rooms and bathrooms for the price. Hotel in need of modernisation. Lovely location, good parking and reasonable food and drinks prices.

Experience was let down by the management who wanted to ensure we stayed in their bar for the night; stating that there were no taxi's to depart from the area and even charging a fee if we returned after midnight ! Unusual to say the least !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank boardridereast
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Firstly. I refer you to my previous retort to Al!
But to respond to yourself, the room you had is of excellent quality and as you only had the one room for all of your party your not in a position to comment on other rooms, unless you wandered into someone elses room (thus the complaint from other guests when you returned drunk)
When we try to offer advice we are damned and when we dont we are also damned, so its a no win situation with the likes of yourself, would you sit up all night for guests to return, I did and didnt charge you. and then you complain about family ethos.
Legally, I could have refused you entry as your were very drunk, but I didnt because I didnt want the hassle at 3.30am
Again, as previously stated, you dont mention the time you returned or the state you were in, especially as you couldnt get a taxi, enough said.
Im not quite sure of what you intend to achieve by making this double comment, dont you believe that your friend had said enough.
The staff say thanks for the tip
wakefield
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed Mon Tues,Christmas present from a relation.The location was really good,beer OK ,restaurant food was very disappointing both dinner and breakfast.One tea bag in a large pot of tea for two! We found a super place the next evening only half a mile away where food is superb" Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall "As previous reviewer not sure about the family ethos as the proprietors were elusive.Young girl who served us was very accommodating.The cook took our breakfast order,cooked it,served ,cleared up it then checked us out as there didn't appear to be anyone else about.Room was adequate if a little overpriced.will we come again,NO,will we stay at Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall YES !

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the road due to the noise of passing traffic and a clean shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonboyWakefield
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
This comment has been reported for contravening guidelines because they were overheard discusing such a comment over breakfast, anyway, I will reply just in case Trip Advisor ignores my comments.

The restaurant carries a good reputation (this is why I suspect a set up) and the breakfasts are always well recieved, I cant comment on the complaint about the tea as when i checked you out in the morning you made no comment regarding your stay, so Im certainly not "elusive", I think you may have chosen an incorrect description as at no time was I avoiding you, a more fitting word would be "busy".
Regarding breakfast, how do you know that the person wasnt my wife, so much for a lack of "family ethos" and as a family company everybody can and does multitask.
How was the room overpriced? when your favorite "the hall" would have cost £180.00 per night and you got this for free.
Finally, the road prximity is stated on our information and that you removed the double glazing and had the window open all night maybe contributes, the showers are spotless so stop making it up.
Oh by the way the girls said thank you for the tip
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for a Fri and Sat Night as a group of 4 MTB'ers. Superb location near Coed Y Brenin Forest and you can ride straight on to some trails, or 5 mins in a car to the trail centre.
We ate there both evenings for convenience. The restaurant food is pleasant and certainly edible (the burger was very good) but generally was a little over-priced. The cooked breakfast was a little dissapointing.

The room was average. Plumbing as whole needs attention! Single beds were adequately comfy.

Good facilities on offer overall, WiFi needs boosting to beyond standing at the bar.

I think attitude and professionalism towards customers was erratic. The 'family run' ethos perhaps a little too relaxed.

Overall - adequate, overpriced, great location, some freindly staff, probably won't return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Al B
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Here we go again! Clients who make disparaging comments without stating the full circumstances. Our food is some 10% cheaper than any equivalents in the area and is kept low because of the high customer base, but you ate in both nights. What a strange word "convenience" in this aspect, yours or ours?. Anyway theres not a lot you can do to improve scrambled egg on toast, your choice. You had a lovely room with quality beds which was spotless when you went in but left blood on the linen when you vacated it. with regards the plumbing, theres absolutely no problem on that side of the Hotel ( its not instant, but where is) plenty of hot water and mountain fresh cold water. WiFi, why would you want it in your room, we dont porvide it there for legal reasons, as we are totally responsible for the content viewed.
Now you omitted to mention your exploits of the Saturday night, when you were informed that there are no reliable taxis after midnight and we close the doors about that time (it states in our T&C that entry after mindnight may carry a charge) but you didnt return until after midnight ( in fact 3.30am). firstly by throwing stone at the windows, bring in evil smelling food, coming back very drunk (unable to walk in a straight line), dripping blood after your antics elsewhere, and finally disturbing other guests in the early hours. You also forgot to mention that I stayed up to await your return and that I administered first aid to the injury. You were that displeased that you left a £20.00 tip.
A servere contradiction in terms, how we run the Hotel with a "family ethos" has been very successful for the last 10 years, may I suggest that its the state your party got into between 10.00 and 3.00 in the morning that has clouded your perception and you certainly should not have driven home in the morning with your blood alchol levels, I presume your werent stopped or maybe your were, hence the comments
Llantrisant, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We enjoyed a very pleasant 2 night stay here and it was a great base from which to explore the beautiful landscape and attractions that Snowdonia and North Wales has to offer. Food and drink was very good. We had lovely cooked breakfasts both mornings and enjoyed good pub food for the one evening of our stay that we stayed in to eat at this coach house. The bar area was nicely warmed with an open fire and the vibe was pleasant in the afternoons and evenings when patrons were socialising. Some stayers were making the most of the local mountain bike tracks which no doubt are brilliant if that's your thing. We easily managed visits in the car to the Snowdon Mountain Railway, Caernarfon Castle, Port Meirion, Beddgelert and Bala Lake from here. Not many drawbacks of staying here but the plumbing is dated. Coach house is right on the roadside of the A470 but there is little or no traffic in the evenings and night so this is not a problem. Wifi is available on request in the bar area. Thanks for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Check the plumbing (hot water and shower)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review, it all sound quite positive until I saw the rating which belie the comments. We try to please everybody that stays.
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My partner & I stayed at TYN-Y-GROES HOTEL from friday till sunday. It is situated in the most beautiful part of wales with a breath taking view.The room we had is the one you have advertised above. The bed as you can see is kingsize & so comfortable. It has all the facilities we needed. Spotlessly clean. Our room was at the front of the hotel so the passing traffic was a bit noisy but that didnt bother us. We had a full fry up breakfast eat morning that was cooked to perfection. The staff in the dining room as well as the bar staff were very helpful & friendly. We've been to many parts of Wales over the year but this was the most beautiful part we've ever been to & we were very lucky with the weather, it was scorching. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen355
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank for youe response, its nice to hear from clients who appreciate the effort we put in
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ganllwyd
Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel
Heulwen Guest House
#1 of 1 in Llanfachreth
Afon Rhaiadr Bed and Breakfast
Pandy Isaf Country House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Tyn-y-Groes Hotel? Share your experiences!