“We will return”
Review of Tyn-y-Groes Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ganllwyd
Tyn-y-Groes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganllwyd B&B and Inns
Cheshire
“We will return”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just returned from 2 great nights. The place is clean and tidy the staff friendly and helpful.
The food was excellent, awell cooked breakfast to start the day, absolutely no complaints. Superb value!
There is plenty to do and plenty to see.

2 Thank CoggiCheshire
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I wish to thank you for your consideration, especially compared with the previous report and I believe that you stayed in room 3.
Its nice to recieve fair and honest comments

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
cheshire
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Sorry to say but we had booked a weekend at the Tyn y Groes. We stopped in room 3 which was awful! Too many negatives to list I am afaid. On a plus side, we found the staff friendly but thats as far as it went. We were so very disappointed and booked out after only one night. We were not even asked why we were leaving early? I think they probably knew and did not want any complaints? Sorry - wish I could give a better review but unless you just want a 'bunk house' don't go there. Room was NOTHING like the one shown on their web site!!!

3 Thank mbeanie
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
What a horrible report I believe that your stay was interupted by an argument between you and your partner and so you are blaming the hotel. When did you ever go to a bunkhouse with a double bed and a private ensuite. You have downgraded everything which is in contradiction to the Tourist Board Grading standards, which we maintain. I wish I could attach copies of the comment cards we ask each and every guest to complete, especially the ones relative to Room 3, where the customers rated everything as a high standard. When we were aware of your argument, we had the curtesy to stand back as it would have been intrusive into your personal life. I reiterarate that we maintain a high standard to help clients have an enjoyable stay in the stunning Snowdonia National Park, but even then you down graded that. You say nothing about the evening meal and the free bottle of wine (maybe you had more than you could handle) and the highly rated breakfast. We pride our selves on our family run service. What do you want to do with reporting like this, close us down?. Ihave read your other reports and in a way glad that you left, because even when you have a favoured place, you have no understanding or tolerance. So over all, I believe your comments say more about you than the world outside. There Ive vented my frustration about the false reports that crop up by vindictive people

Travelers are raving about these Ganllwyd hotels

Warwickshire
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just arrived back from two nights in the Tyn-y-Groes and we really have to say it was absolutely brilliant. The room was superb, the bed comfortable and the bedding sparkling white. The staff were all very friendly including Derek who treated us with courtesy and humour. The food was really lovely, I can certainly endorse previous reviews who recommended the steak and ale pie, delicious. We too were unable to have the wine with our KGB deal as it wasn't available but had a drink each instead which was fine. Let's face it £69 for two nights is a brilliant deal with or without a free bottle of wine. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: We were in room 4 which was great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your report, I can see from your number of previous reports that you are seasoned travellers and know how to review properties. Thank you once again
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Nice hotel/pub and lovely location. The food is OK and plentiful (steak and stout pie really good). Staff were very friendly and helpful but sadly not the owner. We were on a two night KGB deal which included a bottle of wine with two courses. There was some uncertainty about which wine should be provided on the first night and we were given the house wine, no problem. On the second night, we were told that there had been a mistake the previous evening and we should have been given a 'special purchase' bottle which we then had .. definitely not as nice as the house wine but drinkable. On checking out next day, the owner wanted to charge us £13.95 for the house wine we had on the first night. He was quite rude and first said that he would charge his staff if I didn't pay and did I want that on my conscience? I still declined to pay this extra charge at which point he threatened that he would get the police to stop me before I was 10 miles from the hotel for refusing the bill. I reiterated that I was happy to pay all but the additional charge and eventually he took that payment. It is a shame that his rude and aggressive attitude tainted what could have been an excellent weekend break .. his staff and hotel are fine .. maybe he needs to stay in the background.

3 Thank Chris W
Oh dear, you walk away without paying for the goods that you had (you were informed at the time by my staff) and then you have the audacity to write this depricating report.
At the outset you requested a premium wine that was not on the offer deal ( some £15.00 more) and then accused us of penny pinching. The wine offer and the options was clarified before you came to dine, so you were fully aware of the gratuity.
With regards to the police, this was when you stated that you would not pay any of the bill, any seasoned traveller would be fully aware of these implications. The difference between the wines on either night was not the flavour but the type, one was white and the other was red!.
Also, your rating was strange, as the average of the particular sections was 3.5 but youve rated it at 2, somewhat a conflictions of terms.
What can I say, you say that I was rude and aggressive, my staff were so intimidated by you that I was called to deal with your query and attitude towards them. I totally refute that I would take the cost from my staff, it wasnt their fault
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have just returned from a short break at the Tyn-y-Groes and had a very enjoyable stay.
Derek and his family made us feel welcome throughout. The staff were attentive and polite.
The accommodation was was lovely and comfortable and the food was excellent. We will definately be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thanks for your comments, its nice to hear your opinions
uk
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Beautiful historic inn with gorgeous views. Food very good and plentiful. Good location for travelling Mid Wales. Staff pleasant and attentive especially the waiter who seemed to be working every shift. Lovely walk along the river just across the road. Only downside, my husband kept banging his head on the low doorway. But he is over 6ft tall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Sorry for the low door hieght ( It is over five hundred years old and built for shorter people),
But we do try to help people to enjoy their stay here and in North Wales. Thank you for your comments
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I booked a KGB deal and have had so many problems with this obnoxious manager from the outset trying to book dates. Months in advance, availability was very poor. He argued the toss... he could accommodate us in a bunkbed room (errr no!), or a double for one night only, then a twin the second night, but wanted to charge us extra for the inconvenience of being moved. OK, I accept he would have had to service the room, but surely 8 months in advance of the deal end date, he could have done something! There has been no weekend availability for months, but that was OK as we were happy with midweek. Eventually I was given dates by a lady at the hotel that were available. When I rang back the following day, I had the misfortune of getting him on the phone. He very curtly told me the deal had no availability left. No apology, nothing.
I wasted £69 on a non-existent deal. The only consolation I have is that he will have not got a penny extra from me on drinks, meals, etc.
A totally arrogant and objectionable character. Steer well clear!

Room Tip: choose somewhere else if you value customer service!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank RamblingRosie14
I am sorry you have this opinion, but you have never stayed here os met me plus I dont recall ever speaking to you. But to post such comments without any sort of validation is hurtful as its completely untrue ( see other comments)
I cannot understand what you expect to achieve by such obscene remarks. One day someone will make these sort of comments about you and then you maybe will feel some remorse and guilt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ganllwyd
Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfachreth
The Royal Ship Hotel
The Royal Ship Hotel
#7 of 33 in Dolgellau

Been to Tyn-y-Groes Hotel? Share your experiences!