“magic wales!”

Ranked #4 of 34 Dolgellau B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“magic wales!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

This accommodation is amazing.

From the time you step in until you leave you only find an atmosphere of respect, courtesy and love for what Ffynnon can offer. The staff is really courteous and offer you a warm welcome embedded with knowledge about the history of the house. The House is decorated with seniority and elegance with unique pieces of art in some corners, and antique details in others that bring character and spirit to the place. The rooms are comfortable and the views of the town to die for. We travelled with a baby and -unlike what we are used to- there wasnt at any point any problem to accommodate his needs, from a tall chair to a cot, everything could be arranged. The house is walking distance from the town, so after unloading you can park the car and enjoy. I would say go for it, there is even a hot tub in the front of the house where you can have a glass of bubbles whilst overlooking the greenery around, a cup of tea in the garden is also recommended particularly after the long drive that probably brought you there.
All in all, it has been a pleasure to spend the money here, and would recommend it anytime.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed one night only, more's the shame as we had a terriffic welcome and were really pampered. The location for the town and the surrounding area is great. Private parking is provided.
The house is an imposing period property in well maintained order. The garden was a well set out and elegant place to relax.
We stayed in the room called Aimee, which had a lovely double aspect view of the town below and had all and more than the usual comforts including a DVD player with a huge library of films available for guests if required. Furnishings were unique to each room and spotlessly clean throughout.
The bathroom included a jacuzzi bath.
Breakfast was ample with quality local produce.
We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and would not hesitate to recommend anyone wanting to stay in the area and wanting to be well looked after properly to use the Ffynnon.

Room Tip: Aimee has a double aspect, is roomy with lovely furnishings and a sumptuous bathroom.
Mobridge, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was one of our highlights! The town is special, all grey stone with colorful painted doors that is easy to walk through dotted with delicious restaurants and specialty shops. The hosts were lovely and added wonderful sights to our days activities. The room was LARGE and the bathroom was LARGE, beautifully decorated. Their photos don't do the house justice. It is lovely and large. Movies are available, CD's are available, internet is fast. Super clean and refreshing! Thank you! My only thought, compared to our previous B&B in Wales, the breakfast portions are quite small, but satisfactory and tasty.

Room Tip: We loved Emily with the city and hill views, and the fantastic bathroom!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Mimo24
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in the Emily room and I'm missing it already!! The room itself is beautifully furnished in lovely neutral colours and even gave me some inspiration on how I want to decorate my own bedroom! Then the bathroom...... The photos don't do it justice. I'm not normally a 'bath person' (but my partner is hence booking Emily) but even I was using it every evening. Such a lovely room to relax in. As for the rest of the house, it is very well laid out and all the colours and soft furnishings are stunning. The breakfast was great with a buffet of cereals, fruits, yogurts and juices and this is followed by a lovely cooked breakfast. Debbie and Steve are perfect hosts, always taking the time to provide ideas on restaurants and days out. I would definitely love to return.

Room Tip: We loved Emily..... That bathroom is incredible!
Ffynnon, Owner at Ffynnon, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi,
Many thanks for your kind words. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us at Ffynnon and hope to return. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed in Ffynon as a base for mountain biking in Coed y Brenin. The location is lovely and walking distance from pubs and restaurants in Dolgellau but still feeling very peaceful. We stayed in the Sydney room and found it pure luxury. The breakfast was brilliant with lots of choice. Steve greeted us when we arrived and we couldnt have been happier with the hospitality that was shown to us. We ll definitely be back. Thank you so much for such a fantastic break.

Ffynnon, Owner at Ffynnon, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi Sara,
W're really pleased you enjoyed your break at Ffynnon and that everything met your requirements. Thanks for posting a review and we look ofrward to seeing you again soon.
Regards,
Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This has to be the best Hotel ever! I booked online after falling across Fffynnon on the Internet. I was looking for something a little different as a surprise for my husband's 50th birthday and as we were climbing 'Snowdon' me and our 'grown-up' children wanted somewhere 'homely' to come back to and Ffynnon surpassed expectations on all fronts. The owners Steve and Debra have lovingly restored the old Rectory and Hospital at one time in it's history, to an extremely high standard, with it's beautiful 'soft furnishings and 'decor' . As soon as my husband and I arrived, Steve immediately made us feel very welcome, he showed us around the house, giving us an insight into it's history. The Hotel only has 6 bedrooms, so you really feel 'at home'. Our rooms were immaculately clean with lots of lovely little touches, nothing had been overlooked. The rooms are individually themed and named after Steve and Debra's family. My husband and I were in the 'Emily' this room was beautiful, situated on the top floor with fantastic views of Dolgellau with the most fabulous bathroom, with a central bath you would die for. Our girls shared the 'Myfanwy' with it's beautiful furniture and brass bed and lovely bathroom and views over the town and hills, our son was in the Aimee, yet again fab bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and views of the town. The breakfasts were cooked freshly for you and nothing was too much trouble for Steve and Debra and their staff. Thank you both so much to you and your staff for making our stay so very special, we will definitely be back with loads more of our friends and family...(not at the same time!!) can't recommend you highly enough

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ffynnon, Owner at Ffynnon, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi Jane.
Many thanks for your lovely comments. We're all thrilled that you chose Ffynnon to celebrate Nigel's birthday and that you all had a wonderful time.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I arrived at 14:45 on a horrible windy rainy summer UK day !
The front door of the hotel was closed. I called the hotel number only to be told that we can only check in at 16:00 and go for a walk !
I was also told to check the small print of the hotel confirmation - quite true,it did say check in only between 16:00 and 21:00.
So much for the word HOSPITALITY.
I now had a 'nasty' taste in my mouth and decided to forfeit my deposit and find a friendlier place to stay,which I did.
I'm therefore unable to comment on the otherwise excellent reports other guests have made about this establishment.
All I know is I was advised to take a walk on a miserable,wet afternoon for 75 minutes until the front door opened.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tony W
Ffynnon, Owner at Ffynnon, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Tony.

Thank you for your comments and I'm sorry you decided not to stay with us.

As we are a small, family run, guesthouse and not a hotel, we do not have a 24 hour manned reception and the time between midday and 4pm is the only time we have to run errands. If we are made aware that guests will be arriving before 4pm we make every effort to accommodate an earlier check-in. When you originally made your reservation through Mr and Mrs Smith you were sent a confirmation of booking from them and another from ourselves, both of which state in bold text in the main section of the confirmation that check-in is from 4pm. When you telephoned the guesthouse at 3.15pm the call diverted to our mobile. We did offer to return as soon as we could to welcome you which would have been by 3.30pm. Unfortunately by that time you had decided to make alternative arrangements.

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you but hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Regards,