We had two nights at Y Meirionnydd through the Queen's Jubilee weekend, and had an absolutely fantastic stay. The property, the hosts, the food are all wonderful. It is an absolute gem - go there and enjoy!
Dolgellau is a lovely understated little town, often overlooked by travellers heading to the coast. But it s the perfect location for lower Snowdonia, walking Cadair Idris etc and cycling in the Coed Y Brenin Forest just up the road. Y Meirionnydd is in a great location in the centre of the small town and is a fine old solid building of real character.
We had the Mawddach suite - which was a lovely spacious. light room. The bed and pillows were so comfortable - we had perfect nights' sleep. Its quiet even in the central location. The room is was well-equipped with chaise-long, TV, Roberts radio, bathrobes, in-room coffee/tea, free bottled water - although the Welsh tap water is fine too. The building is old, so the floors are bit wonky - but this adds to the character. Nice bathroom - deep bath, sink a bit small though. There is good free wifi throughout the property.
We ate in the restaurant both nights - and were blown away by the hospitality, service, food etc. The furnishings are so refined, tasteful and homely at the same time. At this stage I have to say that the owners/hosts Nick and Marc are absolutely brilliant, nothing is too much trouble. They are the perfect hosts and they know how to make you feel welcome and at home, and nothing is too much trouble. We were there on a particularly busy weekend - and they never seemed to get flustered in any way, accommodating all kinds of requests and last minute requests etc. And service in the restaurant was perfect and friendly always.
As for the food - the dinner menu was superb, and so reasonably priced for the high quality. The evening three course menu is priced at around £25 - such good value. The chef is producing real quality meals - we tried mains of fish/cod, lamb, beef, all of which were wonderful, beautifully resented, perfectly sized and really tasty. Starters were good - we had a great sweet potato and ginger soup. Desserts were superb, an amazing rhubarb crumble in particular - and the local cheese plate really nice. In fact, one of the great things about the food and drink is that there is so much which is locally sourced. The owners make a point of sourcing locally where possible. This is great for Wales and great for the guests as when we go away we want local produce. To name farms and places where produce comes from is a real bonus.
The bar upstairs has a lovely aspect and a great feel. Nice to have a drink in here before going to dinner. There is local real ale - bottled - I would recommend the Tipsy Tup. There is Welsh whisky and Brecon gin too!
Breakfast is served opposite the bar and was perfect both mornings - really good cereals, local fresh, free range eggs, bacon perfectly trimmed, tiny bit of nice crispy fat, great coffee - and a big choice of everything.
We would highly recommend Y Meirionnydd as a base if you are staying in this part of Wales. It is the perfect place to stay and there is so much to do in the area. Many thanks to Marc and Nick and the rest of the staff for making our stay so wonderful. We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five star Y Meirionnydd Townhouse is a beautiful place to stay with the bonus of its own restaurant and bar in the centre of this beautiful Snowdonia town. Our three bedrooms and two suites are all en suite of course and feature White Company toiletries, bathrobes and slippers, free Wi Fi as well as many other little touches to make your stay as comfortable as possible.Add in superb, personal service, a lovely full breakfast and of course our superb restaurant for dinner and you have the makings of a perfect getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and LateRooms so you can book your Y Meirionnydd reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Y Meirionnydd Dolgellau, Wales
- y Meirionnydd Hotel Dolgellau