“Highlight of my visit to Dolgellau”

The Gatehouse Steakhouse
Ranked #7 of 29 Restaurants in Dolgellau
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At The Gatehouse Steakhouse we offer a unique and none pretentious Steakhouse Experience, bringing out the very best in Local Welsh Produce. All of our Meats/Poultry and Fish dishes are cooked over our state-of-the-art Chargrill for that fantastic smokey flavour. Set in a Grade 2 listed building in the Beautiful Historic Town of Dolgellau, you can experience a 'big-city restaurant' with an exceptional drinks menu, with over 15 Beers, a Great Wine Selection, Bourbons, Whisky and Cognacs dating back 25 years...and more.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I visited Dolgellau for several days, visiting local villages and towns, trying out many different cafe's and restraints. But The Gatehouse was by far the best restraint I visited, and also the best place a went to whilst I was in the area. The Gatehouse was the highlight of my stay, therefor I am glad a I ate here. The atmosphere was great, the staff were great, a very warm welcome from the staff at the bar (Paul and Lucy if I remember correctly) making me feel very welcome. I have never met such great staff at a restraint. The food was also great! I had the tuna dish, which was cooked perfectly and served with brilliant side foods. Everything was clean, tables, glasses, a fly not to be seen, nothing! The only negative point I have is that it was not very busy, leaving the place to be quite quiet but that was hardly noticed as there was lovely acoustic music playing in the background. I highly recommend this place! I would also like to thank the staff for making my visit worth-while!

2  Thank Victoria W

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in Dollegau for three nights and this restaurant was by far the worst.
Firstly the pub decor was very poor and dated, but as we all know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so we didn't look to much into this, however the evening got progressively worse.
My partner ordered a tuna steak which came out cold, this was returned to be heated up. It also should of come with green beans which were missing. I opted for the steak, which came with chicken wings, spare ribs and salad. The steak was actually very good and perfectly cooked if not on the small side, however the one chicken wing and three spare ribs were very small and had very little meat on. This was certainly not worth £22.95.
Our total bill came to just under £50 which was for two mains and a bottle of rosé wine. In comparison to other places we have eaten this was very expensive for what we received.
We would normally have starters and a dessert or coffees but this place did not have a great atmosphere where you could sit and enjoy a nice meal and a few drinks. We often go out to eat both on holidays and at home and can honestly say that we have not eaten anywhere this bad in a very long time. We chose this restaurant through trip advisor but do feel that the reviews are outdated and were very disappointed with out first night in Wales.

2  Thank SomersetSam_13
Helzinky, management team at The Gatehouse Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for leaving your review, our grade two listed building has the design and style of a classic welsh country cottage, however change is always happening and we value your opinion.
Your comments have been taken into consideration. We have had a steady stream of good reviews over the last 12 months, we are disappointed that your experience at the GateHouse was not to the usual high standard as shown in our other reviews.
Regards,
Management team.

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were trying to get out of the rain and snow and couldn't believe our luck in finding this gem in the little village of Dolgellau. It was very quiet but the weather was horrendous so hardly anyone in the town at all. Food and service were very good. Highly recommended.

1  Thank L147
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We camped at Barmouth for three days last week so we could cycle the Mawddach trail and do some walking as well. The bike ride was excellent and when we arrrived at Dolgellau,. food was next on our minds. We went into the Gatehouse. Paul the Manager was friendly and helpful, the food and drink excellent. Nice place to eat and friendly staff. What more can you want? Thanks again Paul, We'll be back, Nigel.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The food is very good, but portion sizes are variable. I had the lamb kofta kebabs to start - £5 and only 3 small koftas, a tiny bit of lettuce and a single ring of red onion. However, very tasty. For mains, I went for the Welsh chilli sausages - £11 but only 2 sausages. Again very tasty but another sausage and a little bit more mash and gravy would have been great. My partner however, went for the gammon, which was large with plenty of chips.

Not inspired by the desserts, so didn't try those.

Poor selection of beers, with only Worthington, Carling and Guinness as options, and I suspect that the Guinness came out of a can.

Table service very good. Food service was a quite slow and it wasn't busy.

A few slight improvements and this place would be very good.