“You can do better locally...”
Review of The Moelwyn

The Moelwyn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Tatty looking room. Ominous sign when I checked in and was advised to let them know if anything was wrong...Yes there was, the heating wasn't working, but I waited and waited after reporting this and eventually gave up and went out to eat elsewhere. When I came back I was told they had checked the heating and offered me the opportunity to change rooms or take up a fan heater. I accepted the latter. Not a very good night's sleep as the mattress was worn out.
When I woke up in the morning the velux window was leaking onto the double socket that the TV and my laptop were plugged into.
The breakfast was good (freshly cooked - I was the only guest). But they told me they could not supply a VAT receipt and referred me back to the booking agent who replied after a week or so that they could not either...
You can find better in Criccieth for less money, but alas my favourite was fully booked on this occasion.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor double
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PAJMcK
MoelwynRest, Owner at The Moelwyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

We do apologise we did not meet the standard you were seeking. However, we did explain on your arrival that our boiler had stopped working which is why you were offered a heater to take up to your room. But we have now updated our rooms and hopefully they will be more to your taste

Kind Regards
Tom & Ollie Booth

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were walking up Snowdon the next day so we stayed here overnight. The hotel advertises itself as a restaurant with rooms and there were plenty of people eating when we arrived. We booked last minute and there was a choice of rooms, so we were able to choose between three. They were all about the same size, all had sea views, and all were perfectly clean, well decorated and had lots of natural light. We chose room 6. We had a good sleep on a comfortable bed, then a wonderful cooked to order breakfast, not at all greasy. We didn't go out, but if you wanted to, you had a key to the front door as well as your room. Everything felt really clean and modern, and the location was perfect, on a corner right across from the beach - every view was a sea view ! Overall an excellent find.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shaunsouthern
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My friend and I shared a comfortable twin room with the most wonderful views of sea and mountains from windows on two sides.
The hotel is perfectly situated, right near the beach and a couple of minutes from the High Street, park, castle, etc.
There is ample parking right in front of the hotel.
The food was the best we had had in any restaurant we have visited. We sat and ate our evening meal while watching the changing colours of the sea as the sun went down.
A wonderful two-night break.
Thanks.

Room Tip: We had Room 3. It was a twin but I expect it could be converted to a double. Ensuite had shower but...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Avis G G
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked to stay at the Moelwyn online and pitched up there about 5 hours later to find rooms being advertised outside at £20 less than I had paid online! Rather hoped the owner would offer me the 'best price' but she obviously wasn't feeling generous. Anyway, the room we had (room 5) was small but perfectly adequate. The 'view' of the sea could be obtained by standing on a small wooden box and looking out of the Velux. Being 5 ft tall, I looked a bit like Kilroy. The place is immaculately clean and tidy, everyone is friendly. But our bed was the lumpiest, most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. A good nights sleep was NOT had at all. My suggestion would be not to book online and to ask to see the rooms before purchase, and test the bed. Other reviewers havent suffered like we did so maybe Room 5 is the room they let last! Breakfast was good. If you get a comfy bed, this is a great location, clean and friendly. Didnt eat i the restaurant so I can't comment, but it was certainly busy.

Room Tip: Look before you book. And try the bed out!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
MoelwynRest, Owner at The Moelwyn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that you found us immaculately clean and tidy with a good breakfast and friendly staff . There is a small step by the velux window in this room so that people who are less tall can fully enjoy what I am sure you will agree is an absolutely panoramic view of sea and mountains rarely rivalled in Britain. It certainly is not a room we let last!
Your problem, and the reason for a disappointing rating, seems to be the 1) bed itself and 2) the rate you were charged so:
1)I am so sorry you found the bed uncomfortable. Others have found it very comfortable and have commented on this to us.It is a good quality bed and there have been no negative comments to date but we will check this out. Pity you did not think to mention it to us at the time as we may have been able to offer an alternative. Should you visit again, perhaps we can offer you a free upgrade to a first floor room with larger windows and hopefully, a bed more suited to you.
2)Presumably on booking you considered us reasonable value and wanted to be sure of a room. Of course, at the end of the day, if there are empty rooms, it is acceptable to offer a limited late availability rate for those who take a chance on there being a room left and this is, I believe, common practice.
I hope we will see you again,

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Small & quaint hotel that sits in the shadow of Criccieth Castle and right on the beach front. Great location - although in the middle of nowhere - that has small but very nice rooms. Food is good too, although I couldn't tell you the difference between a Welsh & English breakfast!

Room Tip: Go for the room with the 4-poster bed... very nice!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review of your stay.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit and found us quaint and I trust that being 'in the middle of nowhere' is not a bad thing-- we rather like it!!!
Hope to see you again sometime,

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Just got back from here last night after staying in The Moelwyn for two nights. The location's perfect, overlooking the sea and mountains in the distance, beautiful. The room we had was room 2, the four poster bed room, spacious room and comfortable bed, plenty of tea and coffee and a T.V. If needed. The en-suite has a bath in it, towels changed regularly and plenty of hot water. The restaurant has some tables overlooking the sea, the food is absolutely delicious - plenty of choice and a reasonable priced wines. We ate in on the 2 nights and then had a stroll along the prom before turning in. The staff were very nice and we had an early breakfast the 2nd.morning, which was no trouble for them - again plenty of choice and sets you up for the day. The bus services from here are excellent and I went to Porthmadog, Pwllheli and Caernarfon on my 3day visit. Excellent break!

1  Thank mezw

thank you for your lovely review.
this is what we aim to achieve and work so hard for!!
It makes all the hard work worthwhile when we get it right.
Hope to see you again,

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We (4 adults and 3 children) visited on Wednesday last week after arriving late in Criccieth for our evening meal. we had a quick drive through the town and decided very quickly to see if the Moelwyn had any tables free (8.30pm for 7 isnt always easy!). They only had outside and we we're a little reluctant as the sun had gone down and starting to get that Wales chill in the air. The manager told us about 2.5k worth of patio heaters and we jumped at the chance! Perfect view over looking the full bay of Criccieth. Would the food match up.

Drinks order taken and Welsh Lamb ordered..... wine list was limited but high quality, settled for a lovely bottle of Rose Prosseco which was fab. GREAT meal, GREAT service from ALL staff and all round GREAT GREAT GREAT.

Started off our holiday in style. Got here, you wont regret it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#1 of 2 in Portmeirion
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog

Been to The Moelwyn? Share your experiences!