“Thank you for making our first visit to Wales so memorable”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Milan (Italy)
“Thank you for making our first visit to Wales so memorable”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We've just returned home after our Easter holidays in Wales. We've spent two wonderful days at The Lion Hotel in Criccieth and everything was fantastic : location, food, room, staff, hospitality ... and Ambrose !!!!
I can't describe in few words the magic atmosphere we found there ... just one thing ... : we really hope to come back !!!!
Thank you once again !!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
aberystwyth
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I booked this 4 day holiday for myself, husband and 18 year old daughter. I phoned and asked what was available and if I would save anything using my travel offer discount card. I was offered by the man who answered the phone (now known as the owners son) that i could have free family room (two bedrooms and shared bathroom) all I had to pay for was our dinner in the evenings using my travel offer discount costing £36.00 per person per night. (The only extra's been drinks, newspapers etc). how wrong I was to beleive that. The first night we were made to eat our so called dinner in a corner in the public bar as they did not want to open up the restaurant saying it was cold. The menu was very limited and when it arrived the vegtables were cold served in cold stainless steel bowels and very over cooked. The second night we made them open the diningroom along withother guest wishing to eat in there. Again the menu had not changed and the the veg arrived cold. The waitresses serving seemed to have very little english, although the waiter was a little more helpful. My husbands duck was so over cooked he couold not eat it, and the salmon my daughter had eating the night before was now served in a very different way than stated on the menu and was again over cooked and dry, my steak was well done not midium-rare as requested, again cold veg. By night three we became a little worried that the soup of the day was still vegtable, my husand and daughter ordered streak which were both very well done not medium and the onion rings and mushroom were impossible to eat. Our final night, still veg soup ! so tonight we ordered from the same menu with a little more care, I asked for duck and asked if it could be cooked a little less as I liked it slightly pink, hoping that things might improve I told the waiter I was in the catering business myself and was a little disppointed with the food so far, he returned from the kitchen to tell me they had run out of duck !! so back on the steak, again well and truly cooked and the onion rings if used as frisbies could have killed someone ! Breakfast on all four days was ok but limited. Our room was ok, the window would not open and no fan in the bathroom, mattress had seen better days but bedding and towels clean and fresh. Checking out, dispite using my discount travel offer card I was given a bill for just under £500, this did include one bottle of wine and a round of drinks (all other drinks paid for in cash at bar). when i asked why this was so expensive I was told that the £36 per person per day went towards breakfast and dinner not just dinner which I was told on the phone, I explained my conversation when booking and was told the man who took my booking was her son and never lied to customers and that I had got it totally wrong, that I was the first person ever in all the years of running the hotel as a family business had never received any other complaints regarding the cost or the standard of food served. Please check very carefully before booking at this hotel what you are getting for your money, but do not be put of and not go to Cricceith it is a lovely little seaside town and well worth a visit, just don't let the lion get you !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank annieAberystwyth
Lancashire
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Bedroom, bedding, pillows, curtains were all smelling of cigarette smoke! Carpet not cleaned, very dated (approx. crirc 1960) decoration and furnishings! Bathroom 1/2 inch in dust. Old p[ink sink and toilet but they didnt even match the toilet seat up (as they couldnt because it was so old) and that was white! Asked that the bathroom be cleaned properly but was still dirty when I got back that night. The bath mat was disgusting with black mould marks on it. Also there was black mold on the windows. My breakfast on my last day was cold so I took it back to the waitress. She brought another one but that was cold as well! This hotel is well dated and seems to cater more for very old people, and of course this age group dont complain. The meals were only big enough for someone with very little appetite as there were only minute portions of meat! There were a number of people complaining about the datedness of it and the uncleanliness of this hotel so how they have got any good comments I dont know!! It needs to be dragged into the 21st Century and everything in it needs to be replaced with more modern furnishings, re-decorated and cleaned thoroughly! Cant say that all the staff were nice either!! Went into the bar for a drink and there were quite a few very drunken young men swearing terribly!! I and my friend would certainly never go there again!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank DREAMBABY
Serenstar22, owner at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
We are very sorry that you found it necessary to write such a poor review, we realise how disgruntled you must have been after being politely asked not to drink your own bottle of wine in the restaurant. The rest of your party were full of complimentary remarks about the hotel, food and service (they completed questionnaires too).
The hotel has had a new fire safety system installed which is so sensitive that cigarette smoke would trigger it. We are delighted that smoking in the bedrooms is definitely not an option.
The hotel has a lovely sociable atmosphere and we agree it is not a modern building - it actually dates back to 1721. There are a great many antiques in the building and we have tried to preserve the welcoming, homely atmosphere for which we are famous by retaining as many comfortable, traditional furnishings as possible.
After 30 years at the Lion we have implemented vast and varied changes and upgrades and continue to do so for the comfort and pleasure of all our guests. The lounge bar refurbishment was completed at the end of January. We will continue to invest in the Lion – a genuine family business.
N Wales
Reviewed October 4, 2009

This hotel is full of character and but is a little dated. Have recently returned from a very enjoyable trip there.
When we checked in we were greeted by a very pretty white cat sitting on the reception desk !!!!
That was one of the quirky parts of our stay.
Our room was lovely and had a sea view. The breafast was delicious with a good choice, and served in a pink dining room.
We enjoyed a few drinks in the bar and we were served by a grey haired gentleman we nicked named "smiler" because of the miserable expression on his face.
My hubby and I would definatly return to this pleasant hotel and we love the Criccieth area.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RossiNWales
Scotland
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We had travelled quite a long distance from Scotland and when we arrived the friendly receptionist gave us a welcoming smile. All hotel staff efficient and friendly at all times. Food was great, quick service, super portions and staff were also catering at that time for two coaches. Hotel is ideally located to sightsee various popular tourist attractions. Rooms were clean, we had a great view of the sea and castle. Would recommend this hotel to all with no hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank HMCScotland
wales
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Stayed for only one night of the three we booked during our honeymoon. Was given one of the "cottages" in the courtyard, i.e a pokey en-suite room with a strong smell of damp. Food was decent and the bar looked well used by locals, Which is good or bad depending how you look at it.

Decor in the main hotel is dated, the carpet is the same 1970's Axminster carpet I grew up with at my parent's home, Which says it all really. This was a quality hotel 30 years ago, but now gives the impression that you're in a dying seaside town.

Beware the contrived cancellation policy, We ended paying the equivalent of £238 for one night. We were told that they were full and had been turning people away, however a sneaky look at the computer screen in reception later proved otherwise, in fact the hotel was 2/3rds full at most.

We left with the empty promise that they would refund us if they re-let the room. Strangely enough it never happened.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miwalker
Derbyshire
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Very enjoyable weeks holiday

All the staff were very pleasant, helpfull and well organised. I was particulary impressed with the meal I had on Monday evening, it was excellent very much so considering the kitchen was also dealing with two coach parties at the same time.

Room had a nice view of the bay, was well located in the town and was in easy walking distance of the station. Room was comfortable and clean, with everything we needed, lounge was a pleasant place to enjoy a drink from the bar.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to friends, and will certainly consider going again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ticket99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!