“Fantastic place to stay”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Just read a negative review on this hotel and can't stress how much I disagree. The hotel is lovely and the staff are very friendly and made our stay an absolute pleasure. The room was charming and very good value. Pay no attention to the other reviewers comments about the room being dated, some people have no taste! Great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Lion Hotel

Reviewed November 19, 2008

My partner and I recently stayed at the Lion Hotel, if I had read the reviews beforehand I might not have gone, so I wanted to give my honest opinion. The hotel was very smart, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly the staff were so friendly and very helpful. The food was good value for money both in the bar and the restaurant, we had 3 courses and coffee for i think it was £15, I think the restaurant was a bit pink for me though! Our room was in the Castle cottages the view was fantastic(of the castle), only downside is you have to go outside to get to the room, but the weather was fine, so no problem.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Our party enjoyed a four night stay at this hotel. The rooms were of a typical UK seaside resort standard: a place that has had its former glory. We were out on coach tours every day so we did not spend our days around the small town. The rooms were clean, and the staff were hardworking (not in the main British) The food was good, the evening meal choice was made at breakfast time. The evening entertainment was a harpist, singer, and keyboard player. This hotel has very creaky floors!

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed May 20, 2008

The food and service at the hotel were very good. The waiters were well organised so you weren't asked about something twice which was a pleasant change. The food was of a very good standard and quickly served by friendly staff.
We had a room on the first floor with a sea view which was clean and comfortable even if the decor was a little dated and the chairs a bit springy. My only negative comment is that the room was above the bar and so was noisy until about 1:30am which would have been OK if I hadn't had a long week at work and a long drive.
The room was also above the front door where smokers and taxi dawdlers made lots of noise that comes straight through the ill fitting single sash windows. I took earplugs so this wasn't much of a problem and we could probably have had a different room if we had asked.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2007

i loved staying at this hotel.. however i was 8 months pregnant and my fiance was getting chatted up by 2 nutters... the dining room is really cramped and the foods awful if your a vegetarian all meat products.. staff were very friendly and they have a lovely cat called ambrose

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peggyperm
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I recently had a one night stopover in the Lion Hotel In Criccieth. We were given the 'family room' which consisted of a bedroom with double bed and another room with single bed. When we arrived we were taken out of the main building which itself is need of a makeover and taken to what I would describe as what used to be an OAP ground floor flat! When you walked in it was if you was visiting a very elderly relative. Our impression was it had been used for this and when they had departed, the owners just changed the sitting room into the single bedroom. The decor was so dated, the carpet was the brown floral 70's pattern. I could go on but I've got to try and get over the experience! So if you do go, hope the other rooms are not the same and don't go for that one.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank BROCKWELL
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Water leaked through ceiling of room 21 from room above. Wet plaster and cracks showed this had happened before. Since this was above the TV and light switches, it should not have been allowed to happen.
Had to clean filthy bath before using it.
Bin not emptied. No coffee or sat TV as advertised.
Loud music party in bar after midnight for non residents.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank T0lerantTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!