“George IV Hotel”
Review of George IV Hotel

George IV Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Reviewed December 21, 2012

You can now disregard most of the negative reviews here as the renovation work has been completed to a high standard. We stayed in August and the Hotel was busy but the service was good. The staff coped very well at all times with a full hotel.The cuisine could not be faulted well above the 3 star rating and we intend to return for a further week next summer. True there may be more exciting hotels in the town some with better views but the first room we had was excellent and was not a premium added room we don't think though we only had it for 5 minutes. Heres the bad news after being about to settle in to our double roomwith a lovely view we were asked by the reception lady to move as there had been a mistake and an elderly couple (we're mid sixties) who had booked a twin room needed the room. As we may need the same favour in our latter years we agreed to move though it turned out to be to our detriment. The room we were moved to was facing a blank wall 10 feet away with views of crumbling gutters and fall pipes. As it happened our allocated dinner partners on our table were the very same couple whom we had bequeathed our room to and with whom we became very friendly with over the week.
There was evening entertainment provided in a newly createdand humid but otherwise comfortable room. I'm not a bingo fan but the bar/restaurant manger doubles as the caller at least for duration of our stay and to say he was hilarious is an understatement. The most entertaining bingo you are ever likely to witness.
From the reviews I was not expecting great things but all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I think the room placement was a genuine error which overall did not spoil our stay. I suspect that we were possibly put in a premium view room although it was side sea facing and premium rooms are advertised as 'Castle View'. Who knows?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Keith3895

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My friend and I had a very nice week end at the George Hotel . We found the staff, particularly the Reception Staff to be very helpful and friendly and the dining/bedroom/kitchen staff were also most accommodating. Our bedroom was very comfortable and well appointed and we only had breakfast but it was excellent with a good variety to choose from. On my return I gave details of the hotel to my local coach operator as I am sure that they would find it to be a very suitable place to take folk to in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank chadwick_12
Reviewed November 21, 2012

just been to the above The hotel was very good the new part was great the staff very friendly and helpfull the food good and hot will go back My only problem was Alfa prizes I won a GB Team mug great but the umberella I won first time in the rain and a little wind it just buckeled in on me and I had to put it in the nearest bin told Alfa they said ring hotel but it is alfa that supply the goods but they do not seem to care about how good the umberellas are they look good but are very cheap

Room Tip: if you can choose the new part very good rooms and on noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pamela m
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in one of the new rooms, very clean, and had everything we needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Very good value for what you receive Would stay definitely here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neil_J77
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have just returned from a turkey and tinsel stay, which was very enjoyable over all. My only complaint was being charged a £7 per night single supplement for a single room! I have paid supplements before but only because of under occupying a double room. When I enquired about the charge at reception I was told it was "hotel policy" to charge all single travellers but could give no justification for the charge! Anyway my over charged room was in the newly built wing and was clean and comfortable. The furnishings were new and modern and the corner shower was amazing! Complimentary tea and coffee facilities were in the room. Hot choc and biscuits had to be bought in the bar. The food was varied, hot and promptly served. A good vegetarian choice was also offered. A good hotel for couples or families.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank chris171063
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at the George IV for three nights and found the hotel to be more than adequate. The staff were very obliging and the room was spotlessly clean.
Good atmosphere in the hotel, entertainment was on every night although aimed at a slightly older demographic.
Beach and Criccieth castle only 10 minutes walk away.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank D R
Reviewed October 22, 2012

i went on a three night tour stopping at the hotel three night
all the staff were very friendly and helpful danny the waitress in the dinning was excellent the food was very good the manager was very helpful
the hotel is having lost of refershment undertaken
at night there was musice and entirement the singers were very good well done
the hotel was easy to walk to the beach
a number3 bus pass hotel to portmaorg were ther is a railway with steam
to all staff well done tony mbe

Room Tip: room 318 had a very good view of the bay and high street the room as been decorated and look good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tony726
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
The Moelwyn
The Moelwyn
#6 of 6 in Criccieth

Been to George IV Hotel? Share your experiences!