“Excellent Ice Cream and a Great View”
Review of Cadwaladers

Cadwaladers
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Criccieth
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Cadwaladers was established in 1927 in the little village of Criccieth by David and Hannah Cadwalader. Over the years, we have expanded our popular ice cream and coffee cafes all over Wales and England, bringing the best quality service and products to our customers. We are proud to still serve our traditional recipe ice cream developed by Hannah Cadwalader (which still includes the famously secret ingredient!) and now our specially developed exclusive blend of espresso, hot chocolate and loose leaf tea which have been designed to redefine the standards of excellence in hot beverages. With our competitive prices, special products and caring team, we can assure you that we can provide options for all the family, including gluten free ice cream and cakes.So bring your friends, children, partner and dogs! To our lovely cosy cafés and relax in comfort whilst our friendly team treat you to the very best Wales can bring, served with a great deal of love and care.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent Ice Cream and a Great View”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We always head to Cadwaladers in Criccieth for an ice cream when visiting a friend in Pwllheli. The ice cream is great, varied choice of sundaes, flavours, toppings and fruit, the coffee is good too. The staff are friendly and the view from the conservatory out the back is superb, especially on a clear sunny day. Highly reccomended for an afternoon snack!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank matthewace

Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Good ice cream!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

There was a good selection of ice cream flavours. It had a good reputation and lived up to it, but I have tasted better.

Visited June 2013
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Ice cream”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Half way up the hill to the castle in a good position with windows opening out to the bay. Drinks were OK but thought the famed ice cream was somewhat grainy,i.e. not very smooth.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alan S
“Ice cream that's not quite cream of the crop.”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Cadwaladers has been in Criccieth for years but has been expanded and now offers a good-sized café. On a hot summer's day though, most visitors only want an ice cream from here. The flavours are good but you can get nicer and cheaper ice creams elsewhere, and our young female server was indifferent. My wife had a vanilla ice cream and I enjoyed the classic rum n' raisin - both went down very well indeed. I doubt we'll be back anytime soon though.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank DrREvans
Preston, United Kingdom
“The end of an era”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been visiting Criccieth two or three times a year for as long as I can remember and top of the list every day was a Cadwaladers ice cream. It really was the best ice cream you could buy. They used to make it on the premises on Castle Hill, when it was just an ice cream shop and the only flavour was vanilla. It was fantastic. Then the production went large scale and moved to an industrial premises on the Pwhelli road. At the same time the premises on Castle Hill became more of a cafe that sold ice cream than an ice cream shop. Whilst the ice cream had definitely lost something in my opinion, it was still good enough to warrant the trek up the hill. So, when we arrived in Criccieth last week, for our second visit of the year, we headed off for the traditional cornet. What a disappointment! It was oversweet, had a powdery consistency and was a world away from the Cadwaladers that I had grown up with. On the off chance that it was simply a bad batch we returned the day after only to find that, if anything, it was even worse. For the remaining five days of the holiday I went without. We were told by a local that, allegedly, the business has been sold, the manufacturing premises has been closed down and the ice cream was now being imported. What ever has happened it is definitely not the ice cream of old! With regard to the staff, there isn't really a lot to say apart from the fact that the four who were lurking behind the counter on my last visit, actively trying to avoid having to serve anyone, must have been having a day off when they ran the customer care course! When the ice cream was still really good, suffering the indifference of the staff was just about worth it but that is sadly no longer the case. Whilst I will always return to Criccieth, I'm afraid that I have eaten my last Cadwaladers. It really is the end of an era!

• Visited May 2013