“Great location”
Review of Marine Hotel

Marine Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed for three nights, hotel was very clean and comfortable. Booked superior double, which was spacious and had fantastic views of the castle and sea. Owners very friendly and helpful. Bar an added bonus, even a quiz on sunday evening.....we came a very close last! Only downside was lack of wifi, was available but I was unable to access (as were others)
Perfect location for exploring Snowden and the Llyn peninsula. Would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elsie55
There are newer reviews for Marine Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights owners very helpful and friendly, breakfast lovely also evening meals. Rooms a little tired but very clean and comfortable, all in all very nice place to stay, will definitely return .
View from sea view rooms brilliant also very near the Castle which is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The best hotel in Criccieth for people with dogs! Not the most modern hotel but friendly owners. Well behaved dogs are allowed in the pub/bar at the back of the hotel. Breakfast okay with some choice. The owners will try to put you in a seperate room for breakfast if they can so you can have your dog with you (dogs aren't allowed in the dining room, which is fair enough). Good views from rooms at the front.
I hate it when hotels charge extra for dogs, saying it's for the extra cleaning and the rooms still smell of dog, this one does not smell of dog.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank James W
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked for function for later on this year and these people then booked the wrong day completely but booked 2 rooms for the right date, and then to add insult to injury accused my husband of not telling them the right dates to start with but they had already booked 2 rooms for us for the correct dates.
When we challanged the owners over this obivious mistake they became defensive and very unhelpfull causing us to now find alternative venue all I would say if u book at this hotel get them to send u out a confirmation letter and please check the dates as they have left us with 40 wedding guests with no accomadation and no venue thanks marine hotel for all ur help

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank ghostmav12rick
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We decided to meet up with friends staying nearby and had to find a hotel fast. Hotels.com came up with this little gem and I have to say the breakfasts alone would bring me back!

If you're looking for state of the art, high spec, boutique minimalism then this isn't for you. If however you want a warm welcome in a traditional, family run seaside hotel this is the place. Situated directed beneath Criccieth Castle, with ample parking across the road, the Marine Hotel offers an old world charm that took me back to my childhood holidays.

We were badly delayed on the A55 due to an accident so I telephoned the hotel to let them know we'd be very late arriving. No problem - we'll wait up for you. We've just had a similar call from another guest en route. The portents were good.

On arrival you could sense the warmth immediately from Gaynor and Martin, the owners, who clearly love what they do and offer not so much customer service as total customer satisfaction. We had booked a family room and it was very spacious indeed - bunk beds, which delighted my daughters, plus a single bed and a double bed and you weren't treading on heads to move around - a proper family room. We had a view to the side of the hotel but you could still see out to sea. There was a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, a flat screen TV and loads of storage space. You often find in older hotels the ensuite has been crammed in as an afterthought and is actually the size of a cupboard. Not here - good size, plentiful supply of complimentary shower gels, soap and shampoo and loads of hot water. The beds were really comfortable with crisp white cotton sheets and we all had a fabulous night's sleep after a long journey.

Having spent years in business class hotels being served with lukewarm bacon and congealed scrambled eggs from a buffet, breakfast was a revelation. Gaynor and Martin offer a comprehensive breakfast menu to suit all tastes, piping hot, well-cooked and I'm betting high quality, locally sourced produce. We all made sure we got up for the second morning's breakfast! I'm only sorry that due to meeting up with our friends we missed a chance to try the dinner menu which looked very appetizing too. We were starving and asked if there was anywhere to eat locally. We were pointed in the direction of a splendid local fish and chip shop and not only that - when we brought the food back Gaynor and Martin offered us plates and cutlery to eat in our room watching TV. It was just like a Saturday night at home, relaxing, comfortable and easy.

We departed with some regret on Sunday that we couldn't have made more of this hotel and lovely Criccieth because of the purpose of our visit.

The day after our return I received an email from Gaynor that one of my daughters had left quite her watch in the room by accident. It was quite an expensive Ice Watch and she, dizzy madam that she is, hadn't even noticed it was missing. It was returned to us in the post within two days - all carefully packaged.

I was left with an overwhelming sense of how much these two hard working hoteliers care about people and go the extra mile to ensure guests have an unforgettable stay for all the right reasons. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet break in one of the most beautiful parts of Wales from where you can visit Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Beddgelert or even go to see your friends at Hafan y Mor Holiday Park.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the front for a view of Criccieth Castle or facing west to see the sea when you draw...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jill G
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is not a luxury 5 star country retreat this is an honest seaside hotel with everything you would expect to find on a traditional break in a Victorian seaside resort. The charm of Criccieth is its yesteryear feel, and this lovely B&B fits right in.

My room had traditional fittings, not a high class power shower but a relaxing bath with lashings of piping hot water both morning and evening, the towels are excellent quality and pristine white, the loo roll is not cheap and the complimentary shower gel, shampoo, soap, body lotion, extra nice. The hairdryer is babyliss, not your bog standard hotel issue. (There was a shower over the bath but I was on a relaxing break and a long soak was a priority)

The bed, a decent size double, firm and comfortable with crisp white hotel quality sheets.

The tv, flat screen with freeview, internet access in the room and top quality tea, coffee and plenty of it, with the offer of extra on request free of charge.

The breakfast room overlooks the sea, a very nice breakfast from a varied well thought out menu.

On the whole this place made me feel that guests mattered, Gaynor and Martin are not going through the motions here providing the necessary on a budget, they have gone the extra mile. I very much appreciated it, will recommend it to everyone and return as soon as I can.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank debholmes23
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel has had some bad reviews on TripAdvisor but I was proved right in my suspicion that these were from people expecting luxury on the cheap. The single room was small but well laid out so it felt cosy not cramped and scrupulously clean - as evidenced by pure white bathroom mats. It's true the decor is old fashioned and there are bits of grouting that could be refreshed but that didn't detract from the comfort. Wall-mounted TV is brand new with all Freeview stations available. Prime location - lovely view of the castle and the sea. The proprietors gave a truly personal service, friendly, flexible and with attention to detail (like making sure my breakfast toast wasn't served before I'd finished my first course so that it would be hot; Fairtrade coffee and tea, locally sourced; towels, toiletries and leaflets laid out with flair in the bedroom, hairdryer in the dresser; relaxed and ready to vary times of registration, check out and breakfast.) I really couldn't ask for more for £40 a night and have experienced much less at more expensive hotels than this.

Room Tip: Several have sea and castle views - at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank HJW187064
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog

Been to Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!