All reviews wedding venue breakfast room lovely hotel comfortable bed beautiful room cooked breakfast would stay again bank holiday weekend warm welcome country house bedroom babs caernarfon bangor
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2019 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive. Our room was amazing - the decor, the comfortable bed and the spacious bathroom. I really felt spoilt. To top it all, the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. Warm croissants, homemade hash browns, really tasty bacon, fresh blueberries and strawberries, all served in a beautifully decorated bright room. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed December 30, 2018

We booked the hotel 10pm the previous day, and at no point were we informed that there was no restaurant service. However upon arrival the first thing we were informed was that there was no restaurant. This spoiled our possible experience as the only hope of an evening meal was to drive or to walk down a very busy road which was not what we expected and we should have been informed this when we booked. We were also not informed that there was a large funeral wake who arrived just after we did and took over the small hotel. We didnt end up staying, i stayed in the room while my husband walked to the so called nearest place of food and for that we have been charged £120!! I dont feel we have been treated right and would certainly NEVER ever go back. We are genuine nice people just wanting a nice couple of days away following on from a busy christmas.

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed November 30, 2018

Having stayed at The Meifod Hotel six years ago for a family wedding, we recently returned last weekend for a four-day long weekend stay.

I am glad to report that The Meifod Country House Hotel has not changed.

The staff are extremely friendly and will go out of their way to assist you in any way they can. The bar is cosy, the breakfast room spacious and well laid out, and the Library is a lovely place to hide away if you just want to chill. The extensive function rooms and gardens are spacious and excellent, but not part of our trip this time around.

We stayed in the Suite and for the money it represents good value. I see others have commented on the cleanliness of the hotel. Having travelled the entire planet staying at everything from the best five-star hotels in the world, to the smallest shacks which are literally a bed of sorts, you can always find things wrong with any hotel or room, if you spend long enough looking.

What the Meifod does offer is a unique charm of a Country House. There are only five rooms and it literally feels as if you are visiting someone’s home. There are very few places left like this these days, where the charm of a relatively small Country House is well combined with extremely friendly and accommodating staff, and superb and well thought out furniture and decor. The mix is eclectic and excellent. Despite having a main road nearby, but not close to the hotel itself, the windows completely block any noise – you can hear a pin drop indoors.

The bar has a very warm and friendly relaxing atmosphere, as if you are in someone’s very spacious front room. The drinks range is extensive and well-priced. Service is available pretty much anytime at the press of a ‘call-button’ – fantastic.

The breakfast choice is extensive and very well presented. The staff will prepare pretty much anything that you want. The only thing to remember is the Meifod doesn’t (currently) have a restaurant operating (except for functions and breakfast), despite TripAdvisor stating that it does – that would be my only criticism and could easily be updated. However, there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance (the staff will help you with ideas) or go further afield in a taxi, and you can benefit from a huge choice from Anglesey, Bangor or Caernafon.

All in all, if you like the charm of a Country House, that has a warm, friendly atmosphere, with very helpful staff and a good night’s sleep, you could do a lot worse than try the Meifod Hotel.

Thoroughly recommended!

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

We had a one night stay here...on arrival a lady greeted us, she was very friendly and showed us to our room, the room had everything we needed was very clean and well presented...the bed was very comfy and we barely heard any noise until the morning when I was awoken by what I presume was other guests going for breakfast, breakfast was very nice and there was plenty of choice while waiting for cooked breakfast, which arrived promptly. Overall a lovely hotel, yes there are a few areas for improvement as mentioned in some of the other review for this hotel... such a cord being broken on the blind, carpet had some small stains and yes the hall and landing carpet is tired but none of which affected our stay at all...would definitely visit again!

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed November 10, 2018 via mobile

I was very excited about staying at this hotel as the pictures looked amazing but very let down by the overall experience. We paid £300 for two nights and I’ve stayed in spotlessly clean and more luxurious hotels for half the price of this.

The staff were friendly, breakfast was nice and at least the towels and sheets were clean but that was about it. I really hate giving bad reviews but this is just my personal experience.

Bedroom -
1. The carpets were pretty grubby and need a good shampoo- or actually replacing . Makeup stains, mud stains......you could see dust and dirt engrained in the carpet around the skirting boards. The rugs just looked old and grubby and the fringing which was quite possibly beige at one time was stinking and grey. I didn’t want to walk around bare foot at all which poses a little inconvenient when you’ve just had a bath. My Partner also found an apple or pear stalk on the floor and some dead flies and I also got stabbed in the foot by a hair pin on the floor from someone who had stayed in the room previously.
2. dust on the lamps and also I ran my finger along this mirrored pot purri bowl on the dressing table and a layer of dust came off - the scatter pillows on the bed also looked like thy hadn’t been cleaned since the room was decorated
3 the refreshment tray where the coffees were - this was a wooden shabby chic style tray - the items were placed on top of a large napkin which was fair enough but underneath it the tray was stinking (see photo) - there were old Stains from spilllages and instant Coffee granules , bits of sugar ...... rice??? However the cups were clean.

Bathroom - better than the bedroom but still a few problems
- there were two of us staying in the room and we were only given one of those tiny bottles of shampoo and one small body wash between us.
- the rolltop bath was nice if you wanted a bath, but surely being in one of the more expensive rooms you would think to have a fixture on the wall to be able to put the shower head on so you could shower.
- The cotton bud container, the cotton buds just looked old and the inside of the container there were black specs of dirt.

Back to the main hotel though, the website we booked through said there was a restaurant, which after hours of travelling and just wanting to relax in the hotel in the evening ,when we arrived we were told it was not open, so we had to get back in the car and go find somewhere. The second night we got back to the hotel after a long day and would have liked to have relaxed in the bar or sat in what looked like a Lovley library but there was a function on, we felt we could not use the facilities downstairs without feeling like we were gate crashing - it would have been nice to have been notIfied or told we could still use the facilities.

Date of stay: September 2018