“Ladies lunch, lovely!”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Popped in for a light lunch on our day out, so glad we did. The Meifod is lovely place for any sort of function, evening out or lunch. We had our meal in the lounge in very comfy armchairs in front of the stunning fireplace, was quite reluctant to move. Our lunch was very quickly prepared, beautifully fresh ingredients and plenty of it. The lunch and dinner menus were both extensive and mouthwatering. Overall the food was excellant, great value for money and very good service. Will be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank cardgirl

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I’ve attended a couple of functions at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been nice, but as usual over prices.
The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow. The staffs are friendly but there is one large gentleman which I haven’t seen before, he could do with, getting his clothing shorted looks like that he has worn the same clothes all week (shirt out of his trousers, trousers falling off all he was doing was pulling his trousers up, get him some braces otherwise they will fall off, that will definatly put me off my food~~)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris J
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The place could do with a make over and a good scrub to be honest. The food was lovely but what really made our night was the gentleman who served us. He said he had only been there two weeks but to talk to him and see him work you would have thought it was his own business. He was so attentive to our needs without being 'in your face'. He was happy and courteous and always smiling. He seemed to really enjoy his work and then he told us it was only a part time job as he had another full time job! What a trooper! I can't believe that someone could work full time and then go to another job after working all day and still be so enthusiastic and welcoming! I would definitely eat here again knowing that he would be there. I just wish we could have got his name. Well, whoever he his, the business is better for him being there. Well done to our wonderful waiter!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed August 16, 2013

An unplanned stop found me in Caernarfon and, in turn, the Meifod. 1st room I was put in was a claustrophobic twin room with urine on back of the loo pan & torn curtains. I asked to be moved and was put in a good sized room with fresh linen but the carpets weren't clean and the walls were dirty with splashes and stains on them. There were 4 energy saving light bulbs in the 7 armed chandelier of which 2 worked. The WiFi 'doesn't work any more, sorry' was a fair summation of the whole experience - it must have been a lovely place 10 years ago but someone has seriously taken their eye of the ball. The staff, however, were extremely helpful & polite. If I'd been staying in Caernarfon a second night I would have found somewhere else without hesitation. To give some credence to this review; I've never written a negative review before nor asked to change a room in my 52 years on this enchanting rock we all share

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jabiru_EGHD
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Starting from a terrible meal with Cheap wine we retired to our room which was disappointing only to be woken in the late hours by drunken guests and loud music.
Around 5 am we where woken again by the staff in the cellars moving the bottles. We checked out as soon as we could deciding not to stay a second night only to receive an extra bill 3 days later saying unauthorised payment cardholder not present! We called and were always told the manager not available and nothing we could do , only £40 but been on a pension it is a lot to us. Wanted to warm others.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank lt872
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband booked a table at the Meifod for us to celebrate our anniversary. We have eaten here in the past, allbeit on a Sunday, but not for a while. Previous times we have eaten here it has been very nice but what a contrast this time. The service was diabolical. When we arrived there were a few other customers in the lounge area. Our table was ready on time. We ordered our main meal, it arrived and it was ok. After that it went downhill. We couldn't find any members of staff to clear the table or order a sweet. We waited and waited and waited!!! In the end I decided to look for a member of staff so that we could order a sweet. I ended up in the kitchen area asking a kitchen assistant if he could find someone for us to place the order. I returned to my seat, still no one arrived, in the end we gave up. We returned to the bar area. Eventually after some time, a lady appeared and apologised. What on earth are they doing there? We were the only two customers eating that night but I am actually not surprised given the service. We were so fed up of waiting we decided not to have the sweet and to just settle the bill and go home. NEVER AGAIN!!! We cannot make any review on the hotel itself as we didn't stay there. They obviously need to get better staff before they can even think of getting the customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susan G
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Just lacks attention to detail in most respects. My room was lovely, but hadn't been cleaned properly. Last occupiers rubbish in the waste bin, dusty, used bar of soap on the sink, dried toothpaste in the sink, lots of small things, that tell you nobody has given it too much thought.

Hotel was almost empty of guests which was great for a peaceful stay, yetthe bar area still had dirty glasses left out on the tables, and tables that had been left unwired. Small detail that should be managed in the general scheme of things.

Good food in the restaurant. Plenty of choice on the menu, and plenty of food on the plate when it arrived.

With a bit more thought and customer focus, this hotel could easily be turned into a luxury weekend bolthole. Everything they need is there, it just has to be managed correctly.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank superDJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
#1 of 1 in Llanddeiniolen
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!