“first class standard of excellence”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“first class standard of excellence”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

i have just read some of the very negative reviews of the Meifod Hotel and am astounded that the comments could be the same place i visited last weekend.
i live in Australia and returned to Wales to attend my sister and now brother-in-law's wedding. The service, wedding dinner and evening party with BBQ were all conducted at the Meifod.
The venue was most elegantly decorated; the attention to detail was without fault. My understanding is that the decorations are planned with the staff and there are a few different themes to choose from.
The staff who served the wedding meal were all pleasant and helpful, and the manageress was absolutely excellent. All courses were served with efficiency.The quality of the wedding luncheon - vegetable soup, roast lamb and cheesecake - was excellent and the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. The evening BBQ food was also of great quality and abundance and very reasonably priced per head.

The ladies toilets were spotless and I thought really elegantly and classically decorated. The marquee was fine - we didn't use it much but it was set up to seat all guests. The grounds are tidy. We stayed overnight and yes, while the room was small, it is an old building and i would suggest the size of the room we stayed in reflects the era in which it was built - ie Victorian. If i had to make any criticism, it would simply be to query the use of carpet in a bathroom these days......Besides, the room that acted as a bridal suite was very substantial. not having lived in the UK for ten years, I assumed the price for one night there was standard for the level of accomodation received.
breakfast the next morning was excellent adn delivered with excellent service.
Overall, the building was spotless, tastefully and elegantly decorated, and the quality of the food served was excellent. In my opinion, the staff worked incredibly long and hard hours to provide this standard of service, and I applaud them for their commitment to providing such standards of excellence.I would recommend this venue for simply Sunday lunch or for any formal function. My understanding is that it is fully booked with two weddings a week for the next 12 months - so it can't be that bad! it would be my first choice of venue for a wedding/christening/family occassion, and I thank the staff for providing me with a day well worthy of the 24 hour trip from Down Under.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Caroline B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wales
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had Sunday lunch at Plas Maenan the previous week and there is no comparison. The Meifod's service is ordinary and without class. The main course was very good although they forgot to offer us mint, and apple sauces. The desserts were very poor: a Pavlova with a merengue bought from the local supermarket (not homemade) and an apple crumble which was not crumbly (not the right consistency) instead it tasted rather doughy.
My advice is: have the main course and avoid the desserts. The hotel needs to train their staff in how to treat customers in an elegant and professional manner. As for our future Sunday lunches, we will return to Plas Maenan.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FandangoEspanol
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Called here to sample Sunday lunch in a party of five so my review is of the restaurant, not the accommodation. Our table had been pre-booked, something I’d recommend because the place was very busy (always a good sign). On arrival we found our way to the dining room, a large conservatory at the back of the building. Our friends had been to the restaurant before and knew the way, but I did wonder how casual visitors would go about locating it, as this involves something of a trek through the building.

On arrival we were shown straight to our table and left with menus. Sunday lunch is a fixed-price deal with two and three course options. Unlike many similar offers, there’s a good choice of dishes, and not just roast meats. Our order was taken quickly and the food arrived promptly.

The soup was recommended to us, and proved delicious and wholesome – a far cry from the watery gruel I’ve sometimes suffered at other restaurants!

The first thing to strike us about the main course was the huge portion of meat – great for those with good appetites but a little daunting for an elderly member of the party. The roasts were served with a huge Yorkshire pudding and delicious gravy. Between us we sampled most of the meats and all were cooked to perfection, tender and flavoursome. The meats were accompanied by a good choice of fresh vegetables which were all well cooked and attractively presented.

There was a good range of desserts, of which our party sampled (and enjoyed) several. We rounded the meal off with some ‘real’ coffee.

Throughout the meal, the service was friendly and attentive but never obtrusive.

Overall, the meal was very, very good and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I honestly can’t fault the food at all, it’s the best Sunday lunch I’ve had in a long time. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank NeilT1960
Reviewed July 8, 2012

just come back from having our 20th anniversary sunday lunch at the meifod hotel. what a hidden gem, right on our door step.i dont normally bother to do reviews but this place is so nice i feel i have to.it was nice to see lamb on the carvery about 1" thick and very tender, rich dark gravy puffed up yorkshire pudding and really nice veg and couliflower cheese. jobs a goodun, all this in a massive purpose built conservatory. we then walked around the very nice gardens they have there.Back in for home made bread and butter pud and ice cream. lovely staff and surroundings
cant wait to go again when the suns shining

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank broncola
Reviewed May 13, 2012

When other local eateries go somewhere for Sunday lunch, you know you are on to a good thing. The food here is 'top notch'. Staff and Mangement are fantastic and the setting beautiful. I wish I was getting married again, I would choose this venue. Good value for money, excellent parking facilities. Hd lunch here today with friends today, bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank DanaKR7964
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Dinner at Meifod on Friday evening was so pleasant.
Nice start with drinks in the bar by an open log fire and, unlike some other places, the large glasses of wine really are "large".
Then candle-lit meals in the dining room, where my mixed grill was huge and delicious, and I can recommend the superb stilton sauce accompaniment.
Others in our party really enjoyed their duck in orange, & fish meals.
The desserts were also generous portions and arrived with classy service.
Excellent quality food and genuine value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Daf1
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Ive attended a couple of weddings at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been absolutely lovely. The staff are always friendly. The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow but other than that I would recommend the food 100%

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lolly2606
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
#8 of 8 in Caernarfon
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!