“Excellent food!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Ive attended a couple of weddings at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been absolutely lovely. The staff are always friendly. The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow but other than that I would recommend the food 100%

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lolly2606

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Berks
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I went for dinner at Meifod just after Christmas. The staff were lovely and welcoming, the resturant beautifully decorated and the food was excellent. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank BerksTravellerXYZ
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My sister got married at the Meifod on Friday and it was absolutely fabulous. The venue was amazing. The Orangery, where the ceremony and the evening meal were held was just magical. Hundreds of twinkley lights and huge candles made it so beautiful. The food was devine, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful, and were always polite and friendly.

We had booked all the rooms in the hotel for the Bridal party and they were all lovely. Clean, and charming. Only one of the rooms 'seinot' which I stayed in was a little bit tired, and the bathroom could do with replacing, but all of the others were really lovely.

Aside from the wedding breakfast and evening buffet - which were both so scrummy - we also ate breakfast twice at the hotel, which was plentiful and delicious.

I had read a couple of the other reviews and have to admit was a little nervous, but there was totally no need. The Meifod is a rustic and charming hotel that I will definately be looking to go back to for a nice romantic break.... never know I might be next!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
12 Thank londonchicky
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I stayed here for one night on business I arrived late due to a accident on the motorway so I didn't pre book I was led into the lounge area where I checked in and was informed I had booked the last ensuite room and was duly charged £45.00 how lucky was i to get the last room I thought this a bit odd as there was only 5 cars parked on the drive I ordered my food and went to take my bags to the room the whole place creaked stairs floor boards wardrobe doors still it was late and I needed a bed I went down for my evening meal beer battered fish chips and mushy peas I sat on a table laid out for 4 people as there was only 2 other people in the restaurant and the both had tables for 4 or more people I was then moved by the person serving to table laid out for 1 billy no mates I wasn't offered a bread roll or a jug of water as the others had but of course I come late the meal arrived and looked resonable apart from the 3 shades of brown chips obviously some warm ups and some fresh cooked
I left about a third of the meal as I just couldn't eat I went to bed as the lounge was being painted and wasn't offered anywhere else to sit the room was old and needed re decorating the ceiling light fitting was not fitted correctly and was hanging down the sink taps pointed in different directions and the bath had black stains all around the edge where the sealant was missing and my pet the toilet seat was like a roller coaster it moved that much having recently had a hip replacement I cant have sudden movements to my joint the kettle was half full of water which again is a pet hate I got into bed that also creaked and I could feel every spring again not good when youv'e had a hip replacement so a very disturbed night especially as when people moved around the floorboards noise was awful at first light I packed my bags and went to breakfast originally I had ordered a full breakfast but changed this to bacon and eggs when this arrived it was floating in grease and I just couldn't eat so I checked out and left would I return I don't think so it's not good value for money and is desperate for a refurbishment all around

Room Tip: I dont think there is one
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bigmart
Virginia
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This is a good location in the country, close to Caernarfon. Free parking in the grounds. The staff are friendly and helpful. Dinner was hearty, well cooked good quality produce.

The room was gracious if a little cramped. Our room faced the main road, but we were not disturbed by road noise at night.

No bedside lamp on one side of the bed. Curtains were detached from some of the curtain rings. The pump in the bathroom to provide water pressure was noisy, discouraging use of the toilet or bathroom when others are asleep.

A layer of dust on the top of the bedhead left a grey mark on my finger when run across it. There is no excuse for poor maintenance and cleanliness, hence the average rating.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jdcpml
cardiff
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I travel to Caernarfon often due to work commitments having stayed in several hotels in the area I can honestly say meifod is the most comfortable and welcomming. Having booked another hotel for my business trip on arrival they had mad an error with my booking they booked me into meifod I can honestly say I was annoyed as I had travelled 160 miles and was very tired however the receptionist assured me that the meifod was excellent. On my arrival to the meifod I was pleasantly checked in by a welsh lady who asked me what kind of accommodation I would prefer a room with a bath or shower or a twin room or large queen size bedroom I instantly requested the queen size bedroom she then asked if I required to dine as I had already eaten a sandwich on my journey I didn't have much of an appetite however having looked at the lounge menu I couldn't resist and booked a table for 8pm . My room was very comfortable and decorated to a very high standard I even enjoyed homemade biscuits with my cup of tea!! The restaurant was ver comfortable,warm and cost with excellent background music and plenty of candles I only wish my wife was present ! My meal was delicious I had a fillet steak with vegetables, chips, tomato, mushrooms , onion rings to. My surprise all this was in the price no extra cost the service was very friendly and thorough after finishing my meal I was offered to have a coffee in the lounge bar I couldn't refuse as the log fire was roaring and the large comfy chair was very inviting I almost fell asleep ! Breakfast was also fantastic lenty to choose from and once again a friendly face and excellent service on my departure I booked a further 3 visits . I can honestly say I will always return to meifod for every visit to Caernarfon I highly recommend the meifod to all. Thank you to the staff for a wonderful stay I look forward to my next visit

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank luke b
Caernarfon
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We went for Sunday lunch today at the Meifod Hotel. It was absolutely lovely. Plentiful and freshly made. Home made Yorkshire puddings, home made stuffing, tasty gravy and freshly made cauliflower cheese were just the highlight. The staff were friendly and attentive. We will definately go back there again. It was also very reasonable. The kids Sunday lunch was £4.99. We also had desserts which were divine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank shoned123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
#8 of 8 in Caernarfon
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!