“Terrible Xmas Party Money Making Owners”

Meifod Country House
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Bontnewydd
Cuisines: Welsh
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had exactly the same experience as the review below. Owners cram people in till you can hardly move from your table. Food was plonked on your plate by teenagers.
Avoid at all cost. Will not be returning.

2  Thank Gwyn0601

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Christmas party: Nice venue -everything else was extremely disappointing! We were a party of 20 packed into a room with around 180 others. Seated on narrow tables, chairs butted together like sardines in a tin. Music blasting so that it was impossible to have a conversation with anyone without shouting. Where do I begin describing to meal?! We were more or less 'frog marched' from the dinning hall through to an area where a parade of teenage school children were 'serving' the so called "carvery" which comprised of already sliced beef, ham & turkey. When I asked for a slice of each meat, I was told that I could only have two slices and, if I was still hungry after eating them, I could go back for the third slice! The plates were cold. The vegetables were tepid and had been over-cooked. Rubbery sliced carrots, pale green-yellow sprouts, bland
cauliflower with topped red cheddar cheese grated which looked plastic! We were only allowed 2 tiny chipolata sausages in bacon, the yorkshire was soggy in the middle and, of course, one gravy fits all, made with what tasted like gravy granules mixed with water.
The sweet was brought to the table by the teenage children. A choice of chocolate mouse, lemon tart, Christmas pudding or fruit salad served with what was described as "chantilly cream", which it was not!

There was a choice of 4 red wines on the wine list, but only 1 available.
The selection of soft drinks was pathetic. No bottled coke, tonic, Appletizer (or similar) & neither sparkling nor still water. Those who were driving or chose not to drink alcohol were limited to tap water or warm bottled orange J2O (jugs of water had to be requested for the tables). All in all a shambles!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My Husband and I where invited to come for Sunday lunch to Meifod by our son and his partner, we where bit abrehensive thinking that it was goin to be expensive to our suprise it was not, we went for the three cours Sunday lunch, which was very tasteful we did not have to wait long betwene each course, I will definately call again and I will recomend Meifod too our friends

1  Thank Katie J
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I loved the location, the gardens, dining room and staff where lovely. food good and value for money.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked this restaurant for a birthday celebration meal during a recent holiday to North Wales. Enjoyed a lovely meal with excellent service. They even had my mother in law's favourite tipple - Dubonnet which I don't think I've ever seen available in a pub / restaurant before! Well worth trying for a special occasion.