“not impressed at all”

The Egryn, Abersoch
Ranked #4 of 12 Abersoch B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2014

i was travelling around wales and this was the most expensive place i stayed in. when mike showed me to my room i asked where the bathroom was, he open what i thought was the wardrobe to show me bathroom smaller than wardrobe at home. I couldn't stand up to use the toilet without bending backwards (I'm only 5'8") and the shower curtain had pieces removed so they could fit it on. I asked for the wifi password to be told they don't currently have any and the television remote was broken so if i wanted to change channel i could do it on the top of the telly but no channels were working. The built in DVD player was working but non off the local shops that were open sold dvds so i txt Mike to ask if he had any so i had something to do in the room. He didn't reply explaining in the morning he had his phone on charge so it was switched off. Even though the room was tiny and the radiator was hot to the touch the room never seemed to get warm. I told Mike i was asleep by 8.30 through boredom and he said "at least you should be rested" i said i was expecting an apology not a wisecrack and it wasn't that restful because i had been woken up at 6.30 by what i thought was drilling but was probably the pipes He said "next time" and i stopped him to say there will not be a next time.

Room Tip: stay away from room 8
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank robbie m

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Wow, Thank You Mike, for letting us have the run of your hotel for the New Year celebrations. We came with family and friends, mixed ages, and it was fabulous. Mike, the host, gave us free reign for the hotel's lounge and bar area, and also provided us with music. He also offered us the option of bringing our own drinks. If we were going to use the bar, to put it on a tab, and sort it the next day. It was really appreciated. Each morning (we stayed 3 nights) we were served with a delicious full cooked breakfast. We stayed last Easter, this was our second time, but first for all our guests. Everybody is already asking me, when are we booking again? Soon, soon I hope. A big Thank You to Mike for being a fab host.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, obviously some bigger than others to accommodate families.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at The Egryn. Be warned that Abersoch is quite a way out of Pwllheli - even though The Egryn is listed as a Pwllheli hotel in Expedia. But Abersoch is a delightful place and this hotel looks over the sea from a commanding position. It takes about 15 minutes to drive to Pwllheli.

We arrived late at night (our hosts had already gone to bed) but we informed the hotel that we might be late ... and they made sensible arrangements for us. It meant that although they couldn’t welcome us in personally, we that they had gone out of their way to make us feel ‘wanted’ ... it was nice to go straight to our warm room.

The bedroom was tidy and clean with a dresser and good storage space. There was an issue with a key getting stuck in the door - but it was all resolved without any drama. Room windows looked out (across some buildings) towards the sea. There was a nice TV (the channels didn’t work on our second night though) and lots of tea/coffee. My wife prefers chocolate - and after she told them at Breakfast, the hotel added extra chocolate sachets to our basket- which was a thoughtful touch.

Our bathroom had a ‘pumped’ water system - so we got occasional burps of sound - some of these are quite loud. The shower worked fine - but my wife said she felt a bit “confined” inside the “cocoon.”

My only criticism was that our double bed was a little too short for my liking - if I stay here again I might choose a room with a longer bed.

There was quite a bit of noise from revellers in the road outside during the night (there are a few pubs and bars further down the road ... we were woken up twice) - light sleepers might prefer a room at the rear of the house.

Breakfast was amazing! Freshly cooked - lovely local produce. Really tasty and it kept us going all day.

We would thoroughly recommend The Egryn and we have already booked some more dates next year!

Room Tip: Front of house have sea views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have just returned from my annual stay at Egryn in Abersoch. Love the place and Mike and Lynn who own this very special establishment make you feel so much at home. This year I invited friends to come and stay throughout the Abersoch Jazz Festival weekend. I also invited others who were not staying at Egryn ( due to it being a full house) to join us for evening dining. The food was deliciously fresh and piping hot . 27 of us all dined together and the service was excellent. Egryn is quite special in its relaxed friendly manner and yet the standard of accommodation is far from relaxed as everything is ship shape and of a very high standard. This year. as always, I came away wanting to stay longer which reflects the special qualities for which Egryn is renowned.

Room Tip: Request front rooms with sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed at the Egryn several times in recent years and have always been made most welcome. Our last stay in June 2013 was no exception, when we were joined by several members of our family who were equally delighted. The rooms are clean, well presented and comfortable. Some of the rooms are up two flights of stairs, however there are also rooms on the ground floor so be sure to ask if you have difficulty with stairs. The room my elderly mother-in-law stayed in was lovely and even had access to a garden sitting area.
The check in arrangements are straight forward and typical of every establishment we have ever stayed in in Abersoch.
Last weekend (August bank holiday) we left it too late and could not get in here to stay, but we have learnt our lesson...we are getting our weekends booked now for next year! (We still sampled some Egryn hospitality as we managed to get into the restaurant for a lovely meal).

Room Tip: The first floor rooms tend to be bigger, the rooms at the top at the front have fantatic views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have just read other reviews and can't believe we stayed at the same place.We arrived at 2.15 pm.On entering reception we rang the bell as instructed,to no effect.Then we noticed a blackboard on the wall with my name on it and our room number and instructions to go upstairs(at this point I did look around for candid camera)We went to our room where we found the keys,unpacked and went out for a wander.On returning we went into the bar ,had a drink and booked an evening meal in the restaurant.We went to our room around 9.30after a long day travelling etc.but were unable to go to sleep untill the restaurant closed at around 10.45 as our room which by the way was £120.per night was over the restaurant.We resumed the owner was the man who served us breakfast the next morning but he never once introduced himself or asked about our stay during the 4 nights we were there.We are both well travelled people and have never had an experiance akin to this.On the plus side the room was lovely,very clean ,good quality linen and towels and a very comfortable bed(once you could get to sleep) We do think it was over priced as it was city centre prices but very central and good parking once the restaurant patrons had left.We won't be returning .

Room Tip: Apparently rooms without a sea view are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had a great stay at The Egryn. Our welcome was very warm & friendly. We had a room in the attic with a lovely sea view. The room was clean, with bold modern decor. Our bathroom was small but had all the facilities. The proximity to the beach is perfect with good parking facilities. Although the beach and centre are only 5 minutes walk away. The cooked breakfast was lovely and was service great.

Room Tip: The stairs to the top rooms are steep so if you have problem with stairs be sure to ask for a room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abersoch
Caerwylan Hotel
Craig Y Glyn
Craig Y Glyn
#1 of 4 in Llanbedrog
Somerdale Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Egryn, Abersoch? Share your experiences!