“Well presented, good food”

Venetia Italian Restaurant & Boutique
Ranked #7 of 45 Restaurants in Abersoch
Cuisines: Italian, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have eaten at Venetia a number of times and it has always been good. The (short) menu has something for everyone and all the food appears fresh and is well prepared. The fish is especially good. Portion sizes are good and the food is complimented by a good wine list, with the staff happy to make recommendations to accompany your choice of food. I don't eat them but apparently the deserts are fantastic! Service has always been good and the restaurant, even when half empty out of season, has a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I'd never been here before. I'm not in the catering business nor I have any other reason to "tell it as it was". We'd actually managed to get a table here, umpteenth time of trying...hooray. A couple of days before I walked past the front gates and carefully read the menu, it looked promising.

Pros:

The service was attentive and the waiting staff were on the ball.

The wine list was different, Italian wines. I chose one of the house wines, that I'd never had before, a Falanghina. It was inexpensive. Good value for money, and a good match for fish.

The chocolate fondant with pistachio ice cream and caramelised nuts was superb.

Cons:

The place is like a barn, especially the reception area, for pre dinner drinks. Bare floors, uncomfortable chairs/stools of varying sizes, most of which were barely big enough for a 10 year old. The only comfortable place to sit was in the window. The bar area had a few high, white bar stools but the rest was empty. The art on the wall of the reception area was basically photos of the beach, fine.

The restaurant: bare floors, noisy, bizarre art on the walls. A few modern expressionist type painting BUT OMG - 4 plain black canvasses. The first time I came across plain black canvasses was at the Guggenheim in Bilbao. I stood there listening to the audiotape telling me how one could stand there and stare into ones soul. Hmmm, only if I were contemplating suicide! The saying.."one eats with ones eyes", not only applies to what is on the plate but also to the ambience of the room. I hated the art on the wall. The ceiling was broken up by a series of white canvasses on a white ceiling. Quite a good idea but would have been more artistic if the ceiling had been pale blue with square white canvass clouds. My appetite wasn't enhanced by the decor.

Oh well, perhaps the food was going to be the star.

The food:

My scallops were perfectly cooked and presented beautifully. But...the proscutio, Parmesan shavings and rocket were far too salty. The balsamic was non existent. Pity because more balsamic would have helped. The dish was too salty and very dry, the scallops were perfect. Shame.
My partners calamari, she told me, were fine.

I had turbot for main. Three small fillets were delivered on kale with a thin rather tasteless jus with shrimps. Balanced on top was a pyramid of cheese crisp (OMG) and a square crab parcel, which didn't taste of crab! Well presented for the eye but tasteless, cheese with turbot? Then...Oh deary me... A bowl of vegetables. Roast potatoes, mashed carrots, peas and red cabbage was plonked down by the side. I have never experienced the like before. A beautifully presented plate of food which the chef had undeniably given a "fine dinning" look (even though it failed the taste test), with a bowl of"pub/cafe vegetables.
My partner had the bream with tomato and red pepper, basil, basil oil and Parmesan crisp, with......a bowl of pub veg! She rated it 5/10

The fondant tempted us both and we have had worse fondants than that in Michelin starred restaurants, excellent.

The Service:

Excellent.

The cost ..... £45 per head.

I was really disappointed with Venetia. The chef has clear aspirations to present food that looked fine dinning but two of my dishes were unbalanced, and failed the taste test. The restaurant was only half full when we arrived but the noise echoed around and made me feel as though I was eating in a barn. I tried to keep my eyes off the walls!

Would I recommend this place? Well I'll let you guess that one. If I'm tempted to try again, I hope that they won't have a table. Unless, of course, I can nip in just for the fondant and a glass of wine.
Abersoch has very few really good eateries and this isn't one of them.

A huge disappointment.

5  Thank John F
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was the second time we've eaten at Venetia and yet again it was superb. I ate one of the tastiest mushroom risottos I ever had and my partner had a delicious spaghetti with tiger prawns. However it was the chocolate orange fondant with pistachio ice cream that was the knock out. It jumps into our all time top 3 desserts we've ever eaten. Easily the best food in the area. Our only disspointment was that it was only open for 1 of the nights we were staying. Thank you Venetia.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Once the miserable welsh couple in the window seat had gone.

Yep....we've found a real gem here in Abersoch, the winners for me were the Turkey Roast followed by the Creme Brûlée, but everyone appeared to get a result with what they ordered which made JCC's day. The tasteful decor and spotless rest rooms are also worth a mention too as some establishments in this country find these simple things so hard to provide.
18 x Many Thanks.

1  Thank Liam C
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

18 of us descended on this little gem for Sunday dinner! The staff could not have been more accommodating with a special nod to our waiter. My 18 month son was served first with the most delicious children's sausage and mash, made with real potatoes! The house wines were very palatable and the coffee was strong and fresh. The beef roast was to die for but the real winner was the cheese board, plenty of it, strong flavours and beautiful crackers and chutneys. On request the staff sung happy birthday to my Aunty and the smile never slipped from their faces! The bill was not astronomical and I would definitely recommend a visit. At the end of the meal we asked to look around the rooms which we found spotless and modern, very charming.

2  Thank Laurajay83