“Could be a lot better”

Dining options: Reservations
flintshire
“Could be a lot better”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

myself,my wife and our son visited the black lion on the 4th Dec to have a meal on Tuesdays they do half price so we thought we would give it a try our first visit since re-opening,it got of to a bad start when I ordered drinks the Becks went off after filling one half of a pint glass no problem I'll have a green king sorry" that's of" was the reply so I went for the Stella. We ordered food,steak and ale pie for myself salmon in dill sauce for my wife and a burger for my so, meals duly arrived in a reasonable time the steak pie was ok buts that's about it my wife's salmon with dill sauce had mushroom sauce they had run out of dill apparently, the burger was fine chips a bit overcooked.Having said all that ,the staff where great and it is a lovely pub
the food was reasonable for what we paid but I would not be happy had I not been on a half price night.
I feel they really need to up their game if they want to compete with some of the very good pubs who do food really well

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank cwk2000
Black Lion N, Owner at The Black Lion, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hi I am one of the owners, the reason why the Becks run out because we are getting new beer pumps in which are grolsh Coors light and cafferys, the ipa is not a big seller so the barrel had past it's sell by date. Could you please explain what was wrong with your meals. We have put together a new menu which will be starting next week! Thanks

Mold, United Kingdom
“Very, very reasonably priced”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ate here for first time since new management last week.
Layout shows the emphasis is on the food. Lots of deals/ themes for each night of the week. Day we ate it was 50% off items form main menu.
Got the impression that a lot comes out of packets.
Will be very appealing to feed large families cheaply.
I probably will go again as it is local and cheap but not really for foodies. I do not think that I am their target market.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Largesarge1961
Mold, United Kingdom
“Slipped quickly downhill and now under temporary management”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

After giving this the thumbs up we were let down with a poor meal and poor service. Manager has now moved on so this review is to warn people that pub is in state of flux and hopefully there will be new managers soon.

• Visited April 2012
England
“poor”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

cold room, very slow service, uninspiring food and a very young bar man who was disinterested and calculated bill incorrectly - to his advantage

• Visited November 2011
“Did not live up to expectations”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The bottom monkey has been a favourite place for us to go for a drink for some time and we were pleased to see it open again and looked forward to having a meal. We visited on the day that there had been a very favourable review in our local paper. After ordering our meals the pub started to fill up with a junior football team, and this is probably when things started to go a bit wrong. Our starters were excellent and we looked forward to the mains. There was quite a wait till they came but, unfortunately they did not equal the quality of the first course. My wife had scampi which was overcooked and she felt it was the worst scampi she had ever had. I had curry which was tasty but sadly lacking in chicken, also the popadom and chutney did not arrive.
On a very possitive note the chips we both had were excellent, which will see us trying again, although not on a Friday.
Please see this review as an observation on what was a busy and possibly trying time for all the staff, and as a pointer on what can go wrong when the eye is taken off the ball.
We have spoken to many people who have had very good things to say, so hopefully our experience was a "one off" and the monkey will continue to be a popular place to visit.