“Simply perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Simply perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Simply perfect

What can I say about Northop Hall other than how fantastic a place it is! My wife and I have just got married there (22nd March 2014) and I can honestly say that we couldn't have asked for a better place to have our wedding. The hotel and grounds are fantastic. The hotel itself sports an impressive staircase when you first enter as well as a great selection of rooms; from the wood panelled bar,with open fire, to the spacious restaurant.

Obviously, we stayed in the Bridal suite and loved the four-poster bed and old style feel. The bar has a great selection of beers, ales, and as one reviewer has noted, whiskeys.

The food is just as good and all our guests commented on how great both dinner and breakfast were.

Finally, I must say that the staff were nothing short of fantastic. They were friendly, helpful and nothing was too much hassle for them - they genuinely cared about making our day as happy as possible. A special mention should be made about Dot and Sam who worked tirelessly to ensure that everything went smoothly.

Overall my wife and I can't recommend it enough.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your great review and your kind comments which will be appreciated by everyone, especially Dot and Sam.

We do have a great team here who as you rightly say genuinely care about all ourr guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future visits, and hope I may be able to thank you personally for your kind comments.

Best wishes to you both for the future.

kind regards,

Tony Holland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

First of all, there is nothing wrong with this place, especially for the price i've paid.
However, the good points (and there are many) got spoiled by a few things which i don't expect in such a place.
Reception and staff are very friendly and helpful, they tried their very best to sort a non working door lock.
But when i went to the restaurant i waited quite a while to be seated, since no one turned up i went to the reception to get attention, but even then it took quite a while until someone turned up.
Similar situation at breakfast, quicker but still a bit on the slow side.
However, dinner & breakfast were excellent.
The bar has a huge selection of rare Malt Whiskies, that alone is worth a visit.
So far so good, but the guy behind the bar told me that he hasn't got a clue about Whisky,....
Room was clean, shower got plenty of hot water and windows do open,
together with ample parking and free WiFi it makes it a good place to stay, at least for me.
Reading other reviews, i am led to believe that it was just one of these days where things go wrong all day long, therefore i would certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mike989,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read the positive points you made.

I was diappointed to see there were service issues in our Chequers Restaurant, which I cannot explain as we always have at least one member of staff throughout the day to look after our guests for lounge and restaurant service - clearly there was a shortcoming at the time of your visit for which I apologise.

I was pleased to see you liked our extensive malt collection, which is a popular feature in our Lounge Bar and enjoyed by many of our guests. We are currently compiling a Malt Whisky List and further training of our bar staff. I would hazard a guess that you were served by a part time barman, who sadly may not have the knowledge of the malts but shuold at least attempt to help you make a choice.

We look forward to welcoming you on future visits and trust you will find some improvements.

once again, thank you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Returned to the hotel to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. A year ago we had a fabulous day here - and today I'm sat having breakfast after another wonderful visit. We were made to feel very special - attentive and caring staff, lovely food and a great environment to relax.
We were greeted with a card from the hotel and nothing we asked for was too much trouble.
The hotel is a little gem and we look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries at Northop Hall Country House hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smithies1710
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Smithies1710,

Thank you so much for your great review following your first anniversary visit.
Your kind comments will be appreciated by all the team here, who do go the extra mile to look after our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you on many visits in the future.

Best wishes,
Netley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a recent business trip to North Wales. The hotel was extremely quiet but I guess that is to be expected mid week in January!

The staff were extremely pleasant and the room rate was fair.

I had a good sized room but found it slightly cold and could have done with some care paid to the bathroom.

The food in the restaurant was of a good standard and overall I was very pleased with my stay.

I would come back again if I were in the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Warren O
Dear Warren O,
Thank you for your recent review following your overnight stay with us.
We were pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your visit, and in particular you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant.
Thank you also for a special mention about our team here who do work very hard to look after our guests - your kind comments will be much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you on future visits to North Wales.
Thank you for taking the time to give give feedback which is always welcome.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Attended the hotel for New Year Gala Dinner on arrival there was no-one to direct us. Function room and tables decorated nicely. Food was ok but nothing special. Whiskey that has was ordered with the haggis course never arrived none of the used cheese and biscuits plates and drinks glasses were cleared from our table following dinner. The disco didn't get going till 11pm but did liven up eventually. Overall not impressed and will not be going back as do not feel they have the staff and know how to run a good function.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 667Julie
Dear 667Julie,
We were sorry to read your review following your visit for New Years Eve.
In paticular I was concerned to read your comments about the service. I have investigated your comments and in particular the lack of clearing the tables, leaving the cheese course out was intentional, as some guests like to wait to take the cheese course, however the table should have been cleared of glasses etc. I was also sorry to see you did not receive your pre-ordered whisky- I am sure had you asked it would have been served immediately - though I appreciate that should not be necessary.
We asked the DJ to get guests on the dancing by 11pm - which I believe he achieved - music was playing throughout the meal service and the whole evening if anybody wanted to dance earlier - the DJ also asked guests to make requests in order to get the balance right for everyone.
Please accept my apologies for your disappointing evening, I hope you may reconsider visiting our hotel, I would be pleased to make ammends with you, and reassure you that we are keen that our guests enjoy their visit.
Thank you for your valued feedback.
Crosby,Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and i stayed at Northop Hall over the weekend of 7th & 8th December for a pre Christmas relaxing break. We have stayed at Northop Hall on at least 6 previous occasions, one of which was our full wedding service and reception 11 years ago and another occasion was our daughters wedding service and reception in August 2012.
The hotel had a real Christmassy feel about it, with many decorations and a real wood/coal fire burning in the bar area. We checked into our room at around 2.00pm on the saturday and were given room 101. My wife has watched the tv program, Room 101, where celebrities put various things they dislike to be banished forever. We should not have been concerened as the room was an absolute delight. It wasn't until we got into the room that we realised that this was the Bridal Suite that our daughter and son in law had stayed in last year. I had paid a supplement for a celebration package to be in our room upon arrival. This consisted of a bottle of chilled sparkling wine, a box of chocolates and a large bowl of raspberries and strawberries. Along with his and hers robes, it really gave a feel of luxury.
Inclusive with our weekend stay was a 3 course meal in the Chequers restaraunt. each course was cooked to perfection and very enjoyable. The service was top notch and we were well looked after. Breakfast in the morning was bufet style, but again the service was excellent. The staff had even put a reserved sign on a window seat, which gave us a great view of the beautiful grounds.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Northop Hall. I must give a special mention to Steve, who served our evening meal and also served us at breakfast, but an extra special mention to Laura, who dealt with my initial enquiry and could not have been more helpful. It's a pity i didn't get a chance to thank her personally, so thank you very much Laura.
We will definitely stay again at Northop Hall. 10 out of 10 for making our weekend extremely memorable.

Room Tip: Room 101 gives you a view out on to the grounds, but this may be difficult to reserve as it's th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Robster36
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Robster36

Thank you for your great review following your most recent visit and the photos you also posted.

We were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing visit - the hotel does look fabulous at Christmas.

Your special mention of Steve and Laura are appreciated, we do have a great 'Team' at Northop Hall who genuinely care about our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you on many future visits.

Seasons greetings and best wishes for 2014.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Attended the hotel for a Christmas party night with a large local society.
The function room and tables were nicely decorated, staff friendly and efficient.
Food was excellent - its always a worry at this type of event but despite the varied menu options we had chosen at our table the food arrived together and everyone enjoyed their meals.
The dinner was followed by a disco in the room which played a nice range of music that covered all tastes.
Overall - I would class it as an excellent experience.
I did not stay over so cannot comment on the bedrooms.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Gflintshire,

We were delighted to see you and your party enjoyed The Christmas Party Night, your kind comments have been passed onto everyone concerned, and will be much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future visits to Northop Hall, whatever the occasion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop Hall
Beaufort Park Hotel
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Mountain Park Hotel
Mountain Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flint

Been to Northop Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!