“Rather difficult to vote it right ...”

Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Northop Hall
Reviewed March 13, 2014

First of all, there is nothing wrong with this place, especially for the price i've paid.
However, the good points (and there are many) got spoiled by a few things which i don't expect in such a place.
Reception and staff are very friendly and helpful, they tried their very best to sort a non working door lock.
But when i went to the restaurant i waited quite a while to be seated, since no one turned up i went to the reception to get attention, but even then it took quite a while until someone turned up.
Similar situation at breakfast, quicker but still a bit on the slow side.
However, dinner & breakfast were excellent.
The bar has a huge selection of rare Malt Whiskies, that alone is worth a visit.
So far so good, but the guy behind the bar told me that he hasn't got a clue about Whisky,....
Room was clean, shower got plenty of hot water and windows do open,
together with ample parking and free WiFi it makes it a good place to stay, at least for me.
Reading other reviews, i am led to believe that it was just one of these days where things go wrong all day long, therefore i would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Mike989,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read the positive points you made.

I was diappointed to see there were service issues in our Chequers Restaurant, which I cannot explain as we always have at least one member of staff throughout the day to look after our guests for lounge and restaurant service - clearly there was a shortcoming at the time of your visit for which I apologise.

I was pleased to see you liked our extensive malt collection, which is a popular feature in our Lounge Bar and enjoyed by many of our guests. We are currently compiling a Malt Whisky List and further training of our bar staff. I would hazard a guess that you were served by a part time barman, who sadly may not have the knowledge of the malts but shuold at least attempt to help you make a choice.

We look forward to welcoming you on future visits and trust you will find some improvements.

once again, thank you.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Returned to the hotel to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. A year ago we had a fabulous day here - and today I'm sat having breakfast after another wonderful visit. We were made to feel very special - attentive and caring staff, lovely food and a great environment to relax.
We were greeted with a card from the hotel and nothing we asked for was too much trouble.
The hotel is a little gem and we look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries at Northop Hall Country House hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smithies1710
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Smithies1710,

Thank you so much for your great review following your first anniversary visit.
Your kind comments will be appreciated by all the team here, who do go the extra mile to look after our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you on many visits in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed here on a recent business trip to North Wales. The hotel was extremely quiet but I guess that is to be expected mid week in January!

The staff were extremely pleasant and the room rate was fair.

I had a good sized room but found it slightly cold and could have done with some care paid to the bathroom.

The food in the restaurant was of a good standard and overall I was very pleased with my stay.

I would come back again if I were in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Warren O

Dear Warren O,
Thank you for your recent review following your overnight stay with us.
We were pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your visit, and in particular you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant.
Thank you also for a special mention about our team here who do work very hard to look after our guests - your kind comments will be much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you on future visits to North Wales.
Thank you for taking the time to give give feedback which is always welcome.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Attended the hotel for New Year Gala Dinner on arrival there was no-one to direct us. Function room and tables decorated nicely. Food was ok but nothing special. Whiskey that has was ordered with the haggis course never arrived none of the used cheese and biscuits plates and drinks glasses were cleared from our table following dinner. The disco didn't get going till 11pm but did liven up eventually. Overall not impressed and will not be going back as do not feel they have the staff and know how to run a good function.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 667Julie

Dear 667Julie,
We were sorry to read your review following your visit for New Years Eve.
In paticular I was concerned to read your comments about the service. I have investigated your comments and in particular the lack of clearing the tables, leaving the cheese course out was intentional, as some guests like to wait to take the cheese course, however the table should have been cleared of glasses etc. I was also sorry to see you did not receive your pre-ordered whisky- I am sure had you asked it would have been served immediately - though I appreciate that should not be necessary.
We asked the DJ to get guests on the dancing by 11pm - which I believe he achieved - music was playing throughout the meal service and the whole evening if anybody wanted to dance earlier - the DJ also asked guests to make requests in order to get the balance right for everyone.
Please accept my apologies for your disappointing evening, I hope you may reconsider visiting our hotel, I would be pleased to make ammends with you, and reassure you that we are keen that our guests enjoy their visit.
Thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and i stayed at Northop Hall over the weekend of 7th & 8th December for a pre Christmas relaxing break. We have stayed at Northop Hall on at least 6 previous occasions, one of which was our full wedding service and reception 11 years ago and another occasion was our daughters wedding service and reception in August 2012.
The hotel had a real Christmassy feel about it, with many decorations and a real wood/coal fire burning in the bar area. We checked into our room at around 2.00pm on the saturday and were given room 101. My wife has watched the tv program, Room 101, where celebrities put various things they dislike to be banished forever. We should not have been concerened as the room was an absolute delight. It wasn't until we got into the room that we realised that this was the Bridal Suite that our daughter and son in law had stayed in last year. I had paid a supplement for a celebration package to be in our room upon arrival. This consisted of a bottle of chilled sparkling wine, a box of chocolates and a large bowl of raspberries and strawberries. Along with his and hers robes, it really gave a feel of luxury.
Inclusive with our weekend stay was a 3 course meal in the Chequers restaraunt. each course was cooked to perfection and very enjoyable. The service was top notch and we were well looked after. Breakfast in the morning was bufet style, but again the service was excellent. The staff had even put a reserved sign on a window seat, which gave us a great view of the beautiful grounds.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Northop Hall. I must give a special mention to Steve, who served our evening meal and also served us at breakfast, but an extra special mention to Laura, who dealt with my initial enquiry and could not have been more helpful. It's a pity i didn't get a chance to thank her personally, so thank you very much Laura.
We will definitely stay again at Northop Hall. 10 out of 10 for making our weekend extremely memorable.

Room Tip: Room 101 gives you a view out on to the grounds, but this may be difficult to reserve as it's th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robster36
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Robster36

Thank you for your great review following your most recent visit and the photos you also posted.

We were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing visit - the hotel does look fabulous at Christmas.

Your special mention of Steve and Laura are appreciated, we do have a great 'Team' at Northop Hall who genuinely care about our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you on many future visits.

Seasons greetings and best wishes for 2014.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Attended the hotel for a Christmas party night with a large local society.
The function room and tables were nicely decorated, staff friendly and efficient.
Food was excellent - its always a worry at this type of event but despite the varied menu options we had chosen at our table the food arrived together and everyone enjoyed their meals.
The dinner was followed by a disco in the room which played a nice range of music that covered all tastes.
Overall - I would class it as an excellent experience.
I did not stay over so cannot comment on the bedrooms.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Gflintshire,

We were delighted to see you and your party enjoyed The Christmas Party Night, your kind comments have been passed onto everyone concerned, and will be much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future visits to Northop Hall, whatever the occasion.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

From first meeting with wedding co-ordinator, convinced this was to be the venue for our wedding. Nothing was too much trouble during preparations & wedding weekend. Plenty of helpful advice available on request. The wedding weekend, just over a week ago, was fantastic. Our accommodation was stylish, clean & comfortable. The Garden Suite was beautifully dressed for our ceremony, reception & evening celebration. The staff were fantastic, efficient, courteous & pleasant at all times. Food & wine excellent. Lovely, welcoming atmosphere. The perfect venue for our perfect wedding. Highly recommended. Thank you to everyone at Northop Hall Country House Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear LSinc2013

Thank you for your wonderful review, all your complimentary comments were really appreciated by everyone at Northop Hall.

As you know a lot of time is spent planning such a special occasion, and it is good to hear everything went according to plan.

We look forward to welcoming you on many fuure visits.

Thank you again and best wishes for the future from 'The Team' at Northop Hall.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop Hall
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Beaufort Park Hotel
Travelodge Chester Northop Hall
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Mountain Park Hotel
Mountain Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flint

Been to Northop Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!