“Great specials”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I don't normally write on trip advisor but I do look on it all the time. Being a chef I'm usually hard to please when it comes to food but my meal here was amazing. The main menu was a little lack luster but the specials board was as it states very special. The scallops with belly pork and the duck were out standing. After reading the last 2 reviews on here I had to leave a review.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I recently decided to pop out for a meal one Friday evening. We tend to prefer eating early so she phoned the Tavern late afternoon so ensure availability. Table for 2 free as long as we could vacate by 19:30 which was perfect. I'd recalled our previous visit a couple of months ago where I'd ordered the faggots and mash so my mouth was watering at the thought of a repeat performance!! On arrival we were shown to out table and drink were ordered. A superb local bitter for myself and a glass of pinot for my wife. After scanning the menu and chalk board for the specials I realised my beloved faggots were sadly not an option!! Plan B was adopted and the gammon, egg and chips attracted my attention as the waitress approached. As I ordered our meals I thought I'd enquire about the faggots but was politely informed that the meal was not available. No problem, gammon will be fine and my wife ordered the chicken speciality off the chalk board. Two minutes later the waitress returned! Chef says, if you want the faggots he would only be too happy to cook them for me. Job done, bring it on!!
Succulent, sweet and full of flavour is the only way to describe the faggots, the accompanying creamy mash was also a delight with some delicious al dente green veggies. The staff were excellent, attentive without being overbearing. Looking forward to our next visit!!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have always had an excellent meal at the Tavern until yesterday 09/10/13.
I had the braised beef it was so salty I found it difficult to eat.
I did tell the waitress and she said she would tell them in the kitchen I did expect an apology but none came.
I was going to book for the New Years Eve meal but don't think I will now.

1  Thank Carol E
peter w, Owner at The Tavern Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

I will refer to previous response in saying why did you not write a review all the times you enjoyed your visit.
you make no mention of the scallops, pate or duck you ate that day.
the braised beef is cooked for six hours in red wine, guinness and veal stock.
we do not season the braise as it reduces and becomes very strong in flavour
WE DO NOT ADD SALT SO IMPOSSIBLE TO BE SALTY!!
the manageress mentioned that you had said it was a little salty.
I and all the chefs tasted the very small amount left and agreed it was not salty.
shame you will miss new year as we have a fantastic gourmet evening planned with four course gourmet dinner and live top singer for £50
All in all this sums up what is wrong with trip advisor people don't write reviews when they enjoy their visit only when they don't.
People should think about the negative effect this can have on a business and the staff that work very hard in it
regards peter

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have been here twice in the last month, and am generally very pleased with everything. The decor is lovely and the atmosphere relaxed and friendly with pleasant, obliging staff. On my second visit, however, I chose a fish dish off the Specials board(Flounder), and after starting to eat one side of the fish, noticed blood where the head had been and on further investigation saw that the other side was raw flesh! The waitress took it away and asked me to choose something else off the menu, which I did. Of course, as a result, the rest of my party had finished their meals long before I had.
I must point out that the staff were very apologetic about the whole incident, but really this sort of experience should not happen in a reputable establishment like The Tavern. No compensation was offered.
I'm not sure whether I would eat here again, but if I do I would never have fresh fish! A shame, as there aren't many good restaurants in and around Mold town!

3  Thank Julieteilyr
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went with friends who had been there before, and we were very pleasantly surprised as I'd driven past this pub hundreds of times and never given it a second thought.
It's not huge, but it is comfortable - intimate I suppose, and the friendly greeting and the happy, smiling staff make you feel at home, and very welcome.
The food is largely locally-sourced, and each dish seems to have a twist to make it stand out from the crowd.
It really is just the job for a meal with friends.

1  Thank Mike_from_Wirral