“EXCELLENT HOME COOKED FOOD”
Review of The Tavern Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

The Tavern Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went for sunday lunch and we were greeted by very friendly helpful staff, who informed us of what were the specials and the day to day menu.

We had a quite drink in the seated area before lunch, and we taken to our table, then left to peruse through the menu without being rushed .

Meals arrived excellently presented, and tasted like food, not done quickly in the microwave.
It was our first time but definetly not our last.

The bar area was decorated well,with a warm friendly atmosphere.

All staff serving, in the bar and waiting on were very professional and helpful at all times.

WELL DONE!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited the Tavern for my Husbands birthday along with our two children 19 & 16. As you know kids are very difficult to please but they both thoroughly enjoyed their meal and are looking forward to the next time. Well done and thanks for the enjoyable afternoon. We will definitely be back

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Visited the Tavern with friends at lunchtime and was very impressed. All the food was beautifully presented. I had the prawns with mayo and wonderful warm bread. The prawns were very tasty. Every one loved their starters, mushrooms with a poached egg, pâté, soup and smoked salmon. For mains we had the salmon, my husband had the pork taster plate and I tried some of it and it melted in the mouth. The gammon and very large chips was pronounced excellent by an expert on gammon! I loved my 12 hour roasted lamb, it was surrounded by a pea purée (heaven) peas, broad beans, a large tomato and spinach. It was a garnish and not the main veg those arrived as well. I love my veggies and just loved the whole dish. We were too stuffed to have a dessert but those delivered to the four diners next to us looked lovely. I also liked the look of the fish and chips that wre delivered to their table, two biggish pieces of fish and a cone of chips. May be next time! I loved the board on the wall announcing the names of their food suppliers. We share the butcher! I will be back. Ps Ignore those reviews they look suspicious to me.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Mold is a sad little market town. Diluted of it's essential function as a centre by the burghers decision to site the Council offices, a facsimile of the American embassy, on the outskirts of the town; and the decision by the same burghers to site all the supermarkets, the theatre and the law courts out of town. This has left the town centre preparing to die just like the animals brought into the town centre cattle market where a good range of shops should exist.
The Tavern is a bit of an oasis. We tried it on a stressful Sunday lunchtime where the range of food has to meet all tastes....young and old. We were impressed with the list of local producers and chose the predictable Sunday lunch and it was excellent.. It all started well with the prawns in their shells with proper mayonnaise, and the scallops were also excellent. The duck, lamb and beef were good in that order. The vegetables were seasonal, plentiful and well cooked. The wines were well priced and the unoaked Rioja going well with the roasts. The puds were a brilliant finale...tarte citron, panacotta and a waffle.
The restaurant was airy and the tables well spaced but close enough to over hear the blond mother who wanted ketchup for the kids who did not eat vegetables! A restaurant like this has to cater for all types!
The service was excellent even for those hooked on ketchup.
I hope this restaurant is still there when I next visit Mold.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our first visit to the Tavern and it will be our last. The portions were far too small for the price. My wife had a Welsh Black Beef pie. When the waitress came over to see if everything was okay we mentioned that the pie crust was so hard and burnt that she could not cut into it! The waitress went into the kitchen to mention it to the chef. When she returned, she said that the chef had told her that the pie was supposed to be like that. If pies were supposed to be like that how come we have never experienced such a hard pastry case in top restaurants before? To me it looked as if the pie had been cooked once when it was made and and a second time just before serving. The pie crust was inedible! When my wife eventually gained entry into it - there was an awful lot of gravy but hardly any meat!!! But the staff were not concerned at all!!! I had a nice piece of gammon, with 2 eggs - but 9 chips!! Also, I think the staff must be on a bonus to sell more drinks as we were asked about six times if we wanted another drink - very annoying!!!. When paying the bill we were again asked if everything was okay? We mentioned again about the pie crust, the reply was sorry to hear that - but no discount was given. I am not even sure if the manager or manageress was made aware of our comments. It is the first time for a long time that we have come out of a restaurant feeling hungry and robbed!!!

7  Thank Ste G
peter w, Owner at The Tavern Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

ok I see your review and firstly I notice you have reviewed two restaurants and gave them both one star!! do you realise how damaging this can be to a business.
I notice you did not review all the top restaurants you had pie in.
firstly the pie is made with a traditional hot water crust pastry which is harder than puff pastry or shortcrust.yes it is reheated for service but it takes an hour and a half to cook first time most people don't want to wait that long. we sell over a hundred a week, and on a recent Michelin inspection the inspector had the pie and said it was superb, I will take his word for it!!
nine chips we cut them from 40 count estima potatoes, nine equates to about one and a half baking size potatoes,enough for most.
our staff are told to attend to our guests and make sure they do not want for anything if they see an empty glass they will ask if you want another drink.
I do not see the need to discount anything off the bill as your wife ate the pie as did about twenty other people on Saturday night with no complaints only compliments.
next time you come ask and I can put some stew in a bowl and a bit of puff pastry on top for you ,im sure that will be more like what you expected and are used to.
kind regards peter