“Enjoyable weekends” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ewloe
Enfield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend break whilst visiting Chester. It's a short drive from Chester but worth a visit. Good standard of accommodation, friendly staff and choice of dining experiences. I was given a voucher booklet on arrival with money off incentives and this was useful. The only negative was that my room was on the ground floor and window wouldn't close fully so felt a little apprehensive but apart from that I would happily return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a hard review to write because a lot of the hotel is fine, but my stay was marred by a few annoying details. I booked an 'upper deck' (i.e. executive) room and it was really nice. It was comfortable, spacious with nice toiletries, lovely big telly and one of the nicest hotel beds I've stayed in in a long time. I stayed in this hotel in around 2007 and I would say it has improved since then - been refurbished and looks more modern. Also I used the gym and can't agree that it was either dirty or in need of a service. Actually I thought the equipment was really good. That's the good stuff.

My main problem was the noise in the room. The bed was next to a radiator which made a constant noise...all night. I gave up at 4.30am and just got up. This was in addition to the intrusive road noise from the dual carriageway just across the car park. My room was also next to a service room, and in fact had an adjoining door, which allowed me the pleasure of listening to a noisy conversation on a mobile. This morning I was treated to the smell of cigarette smoke wafting under the door. Not the end of the world I know, but also no need, especially when the hotel is all non-smoking

I would also agree that a bit of training for the housekeepers wouldn't go amiss. I had a dirty towel from the last occupant left in the bathroom, virtually no toilet roll and overall it wasn't the cleanest room I've seen.

So overall I'm a bit torn as lots of things were great, but the devil's in the detail, and this is what let them down a bit.

Room Tip: Try to get an internal-facing room, rather than one overlooking the car park or road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alun75
Anglesey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband & I had a weekend away on the 11th of October without our children.
The hotel was very nice, free parking & friendly staff.
We had a upper deck room and it was really nice. Toiletries in the bathroom to take home, Starbucks coffe in the room and iPod docking station. The bed was very comfy.

The swimming pool was a bit small and full of children having swimming lessons on the Friday night so it was not possible to swim.

We ate in the resteraunt and I was a little disappointed, the service was very slow and the food was average.

The hotel was nice but the resteraunt & swimming pool were disappointing.

I would probably try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
UK Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stayed here at the last minute on our way back from Scotland and wish we hadn't. The hotel was old, dated, the room was OK but as an upper deck room I was expecting a bit more. The staff were good - no issues there but we were kept awake all night by the noise from other guests. Not that they were shouting - just the walls were that thin. Lesson learnt - wont be back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ewloe hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Use the gym every week, staff are great, facilities are good. Not the best for a Village hotel; possibly a little tied and could do with some spend and TLC, but the staff make up for it. Typical Village otherwise, standard bar standard restaurant. It's a chain, they are all similar, layout, menu and facilities.

Ewloe is a nice, quiet village, about 20 minutes outsid of Chester, in St. Davids business park.

Recommend it. If you ant cheaper, move further out and use Holiday Inn or Travelodge.

Room Tip: Mobile phone reception here is very poor, all networks, outdoors you get a little, but don't exp...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Prenton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here Friday 18th Oct to Sunday 20th Oct. Lovely hotel. Easy and friendly check in. Lovely room. The restaurant at this hotel served great food. The bar area was a littke chaotic, maybe a bit small for when the hotel is fully booked? But it was the weekend and other parties were going on. We just felt a little bit disapointed that we couldn't find seats anywhere with it being so busy. But we took drinks up to our room and chilled.

The swimming pool and jacuzzi was also lovely. Very relaxing stay. The gym was also good and luckily not too busy when we went on Sunday afternoon.

We paid extra for late check out and a 5 coursr carvery on the Sunday and I must say it was worth the money.

Overall we had a lovely stay at this hotel. Hopefully next time we'll get some seats in or near the bar.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night weekend break without the children!! We have stayed here previously with our kids and on both accounts we had a really enjoyable stay. The rooms are nicely decorated, the beds are comfortable and they have a reasonable sized bathroom. We ate in the verve restaurant the first night as there was a special offer on the food was lovely and the service was great. The breakfast is self service which is ok and the staff are constantly topping up the food. There is a large conservatory which has big comfy chairs and a TV which is a great area for kids.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewloe
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Beaufort Park Hotel
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Village Hotel Wirral
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,377 reviews
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Chester St David's? Share your experiences!