“Fishless fish & chips, a new one on me”
Review of Running Hare

Running Hare
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Ewloe
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Running Hare is ideally situated at St David's Retail Park Ewloe just off the busy A494 from Chester to North Wales. We serve great pub food all day and our carvery is available 7 days a week 12pm until 9pm.There's no need to book, just turn up when you fancy trying one of our delicious dishes, cask ales or wines. We welcome all the family and have an indoor and outdoor children's play area, somewhere to keep the children entertained whilst you sit back and relax. Come along and see for yourself, you won't be disappointed. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Fishless fish & chips, a new one on me”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Had a lunchtime menu Light Bites Fish and Chips (basically the kids menu). The peas and Tartare sauce were passable (bag and jar respectively), but the chips had no centre (more like crisps filled with custard) and the batter, whilst crispy, had no flavour, and no fish within!

Literally no fish? Well the tinniest, merest hint of a fish-like, hard, gritty substance (bone and fin if I am not mistaken). If pushed on the type of fish I would guess Cuttle - I'm not exaggerating this was literally the worst effort at Fish & Chips I have eaten in 52 years.

I didn't make a fuss as I was with work colleagues, but I won't be wasting my money again. The hoots of laughter as my "fish" shattered into a thousand shards and shot across the table was entertaining however and for that I thank you.

The staff are perfectly pleasant and friendly - hence one point - otherwise zero stars for the "food".

• Visited June 2014

“The Running HAIR”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I was hoping that the Running Hare had improved since my last visit in October 2013 - it hasn't.

When last visiting with work colleagues, one of the group discovered a pubic hair embedded in their pot of chips half way through the meal (no refund offered, just a complementary desert). This had hugely put me off visiting for a while although tonight I decided to return just for a desert and drink in the evening.
As I had just begun to eat my carrot cake, I discovered a long, white, pet-like hair inside the frosting. I instantly reported this to a member of staff and asked for a refund - I did receive this and was asked if I'd like another desert (answer being no). Their response in both instances appeared as though this was a regular occurrence as no shock or concern was shown.

I will definitely not be returning to the Running Hare ever again.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Jamielee T
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful food!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Took the family to eat here yesterday and so wish that I hadn't wasted my time and money!! Kids had sausage and it looked like it had been sat on a counter in the sun as it was that shrivelled!! I had pie with "new"potatoes that were sprouting, they were that old. Carrots tasted of water. Absoloutely disgusting!! Staff awful too, particularly one waitress who walked round thinking she was a princess!! Never, ever in a million years will I go back. The hare needs to keep running...

“Gone downhill”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Used to be great place for a quick, cheap, catch up with friends. Have had to send food back a couple of times recently...overcooked, not what was ordered etc. The local feeling is that it's not what it was and should be avoided. Will not be returning until the problems have been sorted out. Such a shame because used to visit regularly but there are much better places to eat in the area now.

RunningHare, Manager at Running Hare, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Let me apologise for the disappointing last couple of visits that you have had with us. Please make us aware whilst in the restaurant and we will happily resolve any complaint that you may have. We feel saddened to of let you down so again please except our apologies again. As a team we are working very hard to ensure all our customers have great visits and food when they dine with us.
Chester, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise for just a fiver!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

When friends invited us to this restaurant and said it was 2 eat for £10 my heart sank! I almost considered taking a sandwich in my handbag! When we arrived and so how big it was we wondered how we would ever find our friends but no need to worry as a very pleasant young girl took us to them immediately. The rest of the party said they'd have the carvery so we tried it too and were very impressed. There was a choice of 3 different meats put onto very hot plates and at least 5-6 different vegetables plus roast and new potatoes, and the the normal gravy, mustard etc to help yourself to. The restaurant was very busy but the staff were all very polite and helpful. The turkey was moist and tasted of turkey and the beef, though well cooked, was still pleasant. We didn't have starter or desserts so I can't comment but for a cheap rough and ready meal when you don't want to cook or as a place to meet with a group of friends we thought it was very acceptable. Not gourmet or high quality but a lot better than restaurant chains where we've paid £8+ each. And fine for an occasional meal.

• Visited May 2014
RunningHare, Manager at Running Hare, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We take all feedback as a learning tool; it is great to hear god feedback. Thank you from all the team at the Running Hare