“No children's events - boring”

Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park
Liverpool
“No children's events - boring”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I took a bit of a risk booking this without reading any reviews in advance. We found the chalet to be ok (it could have been a bit cleaner). The main central areas were very tired and need updating , and they didn't really have anything laid on for young kids as it was out of season. We seemed to be the only people who didn't have some issue with the room. If you do go, common issues seem to be wrong number of beds, missing bedding and people not realising that you have to pay for your bedding set when you book. (You buy the bedding from them and keep it). We took our own bedding so it wasn't a problem.

Everyone seemed to be having a nightmare with the electricity - we got a Club room which was £10 per night extra and the electricity is included rather than being pay as you go.

I think we were lucky with the chalet, I have read lots of horror stories on here. Our only issue was that even with the heating on full the room was cold. (Outside was damp and about 5 degrees)

The breakfast was ok and plentiful but didn't fancy having other buffet style meals there.

We only stayed for 1 of the planned 2 nights because we were short of activities in the wet weather. (There's a great playground for all ages if the weather is good but that would only pass a couple of hours) Probably wouldn't go back in the future.

Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Literally the worst place ive been to, its like its a concentration camp. I really cant believe somewhere like this exsists in this day and age, i dont know how it hasnt been shut down. Our chalet was outdated, filthy, had no hot water, it was cold. It was £50 per night for us to stay in this vile hell hole, plus you have to pay for your electic?! We are a couple but had to have 2 single beds in what looked like a dirty prison cell, marks all over the walls, dirt everywhere, we had a tiny black and white tv that couldnt get an5 signal. Just ridiculous, such a joke it really is, avoid this at all costs, its just not worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xhanalou09x

Travelers are raving about these Prestatyn hotels

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

DO NOT GO I took my 4 children my friend and her little boy it took us 6 hours to get into our apartment that was filthy damp window was broke THICK BLACK MOULD wee stained quilts the list is endless my complaints were endless and POINTLESS as the only 2 girls I could find were too busy applying makeup to care or listen to what I had to say , every inch of the place inside and out is revolting out side my door to chalet dirty nappies litter bedding rubbish scattered the paths and grass my daughter fell ill with d and v almost straight away followed by 2 other of the children then my baby son fell ill and could barely breath after taking him to hospital he was diagnosed with whooping cough chest infection and inflamed lung this most likely caused by the mould in the apartment and the cold through the broken window he is now on steroids a spacer with inhalers and anti biotics im truly upset and so are my children my complaints along with photos and medical evidence will go further !!!!! most things to do were closed broken or to dirty to do staff are ignorant childish and very unapproachable and unhelpful DISGUSTED !!

5 Thank jackie n
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

we went to pontins the 28/10/2013 and stayed there until 1/11/2013 but wish we didnt felt like it was a concentration camp only one blue coat where i thought would of been hanging around receptionist was very rude saying we were from the £9.50 sun holidays when we paid £484.00 for 5 days with national our poor coach driver also got handed the keys for the people on the coach which wasnt his job i was so glad we had the chance to get off the site and go to llandudno and rhyl and just didnt want to go back to the site the bath was tiny its disgusting how youve got to pay for your own electric there plus i spent more money in the arcade as my 5year old was constantly bored plus the enertainment wasnt good and my son was always getting bullied he got punched to the head and punched in the groin which wasnt nice at all and there should of been more blue coats hanging around. so i will never ever come back here again..

3 Thank natasha013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Please don't be fooled into thinking this budget holiday will be anything but miserable. The accommodation is very dated and dirty, the limited staff on duty are pushed to their very limits so cannot possibly help the guests in any way.

We checked into a classic chalet booked for 7 people, on arrival we only had 6 beds. When trying to explain to staff on reception about the situation - there reply was we are very busy this weekend and there must have been a mix up - they went on to say that bunk beds should have been put in one of our rooms but there were none available.

We then asked for additional duvets and pillows to try to accommodate the extra person - they replied by we have nothing left to give you. There as still a very long queue checking in at reception so i am not sure how their bedding requirements were met.

All the facilities on site were dirty and not maintained at all, the arcades would have food and rubbish all over the machines in the morning when opening, so have clearly not been even swept from the night before.

The grassed area outside the chalets was covered with rubbish, bedding, pillows, kettles and plates - it was an absolute disgrace!

After being there a day we went back to the chalet mid day to find an extra bed had been placed in the already cramped living space - assuming this was an attempt to provide a bed for our extra person - we do not feel they should be letting themselves in and out of the chalets without informing us first. The additional bed in the living area left n room for moving around the living space.

Many of the facilities on site were closed or broken and the shop on site had minimal goods for sale - excuse for this being end of season - sorry not good enough when you have paid for the facilities.
They seem to have no pride what so ever in the site which is a shame, do not go here if you require decent facilities and a clean environment.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan C
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

What a dump... We didn't book this for ourselves, but for our 2 young children. We also paid very little for a 4 night break, and wasn't expecting anything special. However, the accommodation was dirty, very dated and smelt of smoke. For a non smoker this was awful, and I'm surprised they allow smoking in the chalets (they even supply ashtrays!!!). I'm sure Mr 'Health and Safety' would take issue with this in a two floor apartment block. I had to wash every item we took with us due to the stench. The surrounding areas were also full of litter and dirty.

My daughter had spent the week prior to our visit, looking at the website getting excited about the various characters who were part of the entertainment team. On our only night, we arrived for the children's entertainment at 6.40pm, had to queue 30 minutes for a drink and watched one blue coats attempt to entertain 60-80 children. 'Florence the flamingo' made a token appearance at 8.45pm which was too late. I'm not a drinker, but been unable to get a drink and listening to some amateur entertainment for 2 hours was no fun.

Trying to sleep on the leather sofa was also a mission, but fine. The noise from other peoples children running around at 1am outside was not pleasant. The children woke at 6am, and really appreciated been able to watch the BBC news on a fuzzy analogue TV......

Having been for a swim, visited the amusements, shared a cup of tea (only one cup), we decided it is nicer at home so packed up and left. Will never return again, and question the management and the business plan of the organisation. Does anyone ever re-book? Who inspects the rooms for cleanliness? The list of questions goes on and on.

If you need any advice we stayed in Room 581, week beginning 28th feel free to contact us.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having just returned from this place I cannot tell you how many things I could go on about. I have pictures and video clips and I will be writing to all the relevant resources with regards to what can only be described as a complete and utter disgrace and I can see being shut down if it continues in its current state for much longer.

The chalets with 1970's bath's and decor, the doors hanging off hinges, the dirt in the place. I actually watched the cleaners on the day we were leaving visit a room that was vacated, three cleaners, and all came out within 3 minutes and no mop was taken in.

The disgusting condition of the carpets in the main entertainment rooms that look worse than the grubbiest pub you've ever been in. The smell of this area, the lack of cleaning, the decor....

You then have the pool tables, 4 of them, some missing their corners, others missing cushions so are unusable. The carpets here, flip me, there are a mish mash of different carpets all years old and in disgusting condition.

The swimming pool with the male life guards who burst in on ladies getting changed. They close the pool earlier than on the itinerary so that the public can use the pool. They have no problem sweeping dirt in the pool, playing football on the side, using poles to pull kids out that are in danger, and this in itself could be lethal. I also witnessed an incident where a young child nearly fell in the pool because the guards were too busy, so called cleaning up (and bursting in on women) before waiting for the area to be clear and that could have been fatal. The hygiene in the changing areas is disgusting and some of the cubicles, of which there isn't enough - especially for people with younger children, have no curtains.

Events are generally aimed at younger children, most costing; some are no longer available despite being advertised. The climbing wall has been condemned. The Quad Bikes are for Under 8's but weren't about.

Looked at going to the Sun Centre, one of the attractions recommended, and this is shut until May 2014!!!!

Seriously I could go on and on and I will to the appropriate channels, be warned and avoid the place.

Oh yeah one more thing, as you enter the road leading up to the centre there is an advert for Childline, when you leave I'd not be surprised if your children report you for dragging them to this place.

6 Thank Leanne M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
Presthaven Holiday Park
Presthaven Holiday Park
#1 of 7 in Prestatyn
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,735 reviews

Been to Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!