The West Arms Hotel
The Hand at Llanarmon(Llanarmon DC)
$122
Chainbridge Hotel(Llangollen)
  • Restaurant
Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstravelzoo offerwillow suitelounge barlog firehoward roomevening mealsingle tracklovely locationshower headberwyn mountainsperfect weekendfour poster bedcountry hotelone night staysuperb foodbeautiful countrysidelovely break
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I booked a two night stay & we ended up staying for a third night as we really didn't want to leave. Our suite was lovely & extremely spacious. We didn't expect so much for the price we paid. The views are stunning even in the rain but when the sun shines you wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The staff were lovely & nothing was to much trouble. We ate in the restaurant on our first night & although the menu is not extensive the choice was well balanced & everything was cooked & presented beautifully. Don't be put off by the smaller restaurant menu but for more choice the bar food was also excellent & good value. Breakfast was also extremely good.
The roads in & out of Llanarmon are interesting to say the least but there are some wonderful places to explore if you can manage the single track roads. No leisure or fitness suite but the hills provide a great workout with some good walks for all fitness levels.
We had a wonderful stay and will definitely return for another stay thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Willow suite was lovely huge sleigh bed great bathroom & even a massage chair in the siting room. Also looked at the four poster room & would be happy to stay there. No mobile phone signal at all & the hotel wifi was intermittent but we actually enjoyed not having constant communication
1  Thank Lesley G
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I celebrated the Millenium here and also spent a Christmas here both a few years ago
but memorable.In the time since we last stayed the owner leased it to the staff and moved to the Hanmer Arms.Well whatever happened he`s now back and the place is running just as well as it was when we were last here.
This visit was a Travel Zoo overnight offer D B B.We brought our Labrador ( Dogs welcome here and very common).The meal in the evening was excellent as was the breakfast.The staff are very good being friendly and helpful.We only had a standard room (2) It is in need of refurburbishment particularly the bathroom but everything worked and we were not expecting a 5 star room.I`m sure that had we paid for an upgrade then we would have had a better room

Room Tip: Go for a superior room if you want a better standard and better view but if you want best value and aren`t too fussy then stick with the cheapest especially if you have a Labrador with you.
1  Thank harveyes
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed here overnight on the 20th of April 2014 as a change from staying at The Hand (across the road) where we've stayed previously and this time we were certainly not disappointed.
As we were only staying the one night we booked into one of the cheaper rate rooms (Sarah's room) and found it both clean and adequate for our needs.
We tried to book our evening meal at the Hand because we've eaten there before and found it excellent but they were fully booked so we decided to give the West Arms a chance and booked there instead. So glad we did! The meals we had were delicious and served with a smile by young, friendly staff.
If I had to find fault with the hotel I would have to point out that the free wi-fi isn't available throughout the hotel and certainly not available in Sarah's room and the shower room is exactly 6'3" high so when I (6'3" tall) stood in the bath to have a shower I had to stoop to get under the water. Small criticisms.
We would certainly consider going here again in the future.

2  Thank Annie D
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Took a two night, midweek break at this hotel. On arrival we were shown to a spotlessly clean,if quite small room, by (I found out later) the owner. We were early but the room was ready. We had a problem with the radiator in the room and were instantly provided with a back up heater, until we resolved the radiator issue. Log fires and comfy seating in the lounges and reception were most welcome before dinner. The standard of food is exceptional and we thoroughly enjoyed the two dinners and breakfast we had - long time since I've had boiled eggs with soldiers! The setting is magnificent, surrounded by hills and rushing streams, lots of sheep, rabbits and pheasants. If using a satnav, some of the roads are "interesting" - narrow, steep with spectacular views!
The staff were, without exception, charming and helpful - we will certainly return.

1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a delightful hotel to stay in. It is a beautiful, historic building yet delivers all mod cons for a comfortable stay. Charming and extremely clean rooms. Every single member of staff was warm, welcoming and efficient. The village is small and beautiful and is perfectly located for touring and especially for walkers. The food at both dinner and breakfast was absolutely delicious and I had a hard time deciding what to eat at dinner as all the dishes were tempting and none of them disappointed. In fact the seafood bisque with poached salmon was so good I could happily have eaten it again and forgone my main course. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it highly.

1  Thank cazzaCheshire