“Amazing burger!”

The Bison Grill
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Corwen
Cuisines: Contemporary, Welsh
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bison Grill Bistro produces all its meals from scratch using Rhug Organic's own award winning meat and was recently named the "Best on Farm Restaurant" in the UK by the FARMA organisation. The restaurant is headed up by talented head Chef Elliot Knox who insists on using only the best ingredients to produce truly memorable food. The Rhug Bison Grill has for the last 2 years, been included in the Michelin Guide.
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Just came along early afternoon and didn't know the place. We ordered rib eye and bison burgers. Were both really good and tasty! People are nice, the atmosphere a mix of motorway restaurant and farming cafe.

Right in this moment I get my espresso... don't order it... it is brown water.

But ok, I stay with 4 stars, the cookie with the ex was very good :-)

Rhug E, General Manager at The Bison Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

I am very glad to hear you have recently discovered us and enjoyed your food and experience, many thanks for your kind words which will be passed on to the staff.

I am very sorry you were let down by the coffee. I can assure you this is not up to our usual standard. Once the problem of the coffee was brought to our attention, we instantly had the coffee machine engineers called out to rectify the issues. We take our coffee very seriously at Rhug and have developed our own blend of fair trade coffee and compliment this with regular barista training for our staff by an external expert. I hope next time you visit you will find a much improved coffee.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Like so many I knew of the A5 Cafe for many years, a quick and easy feed stop on a long journey home. Having seen the large queue for "take-away" I decided to try the new restaurant. The staff were friendly enough although a "Table for One" seemd to cause some initial bemusement.

Eventually my order was taken, Bison Burger and Triple Cooked Chips with "Salad" and Onion Chutney, my expectations were high. My food eventually arrived almost 30 minutes later, I assume the "thrice cooked" chips being the cause.

Unfortunately, although the burger was nice, the bun was a simple cheapie sized effort barley big enough to hold the burger, the lettuce salad limited to a tiny lump of lettuce and the few chips were served in what was effectively a bean tin, all placed on a scruffy wooden chopping board. Burger and chips regardless of the quality is not supposed to "Master Chef".

Personally I don't want creativity with burger and chips, I want good quality and a hearty portion for the price being charged. This type of food should be very easy and quick to serve, mucking about pretending it is something it is not else is just silly.

Unfortunately sixteen pounds for a coffee and a burger will not see me returning. When I enquired about the price the staff really didn't have any response other than "it's because you ordered the bison burger".

1  Thank Chiana
Rhug E, General Manager at The Bison Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

I am very sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience on your recent visit to the bison grill bistro at the Rhug Estate Farm Shop.
Our bison burgers are hand pressed, all served in a freshly baked brioche and are presented to a high quality which has enabled us to appear in the Michelin guide for the first time this year. We offer an organic burger and fries on the take away which is served in a freshly baked bread roll at a cheaper price, however in the bistro more is expected and therefore delivered.
All of our food in the Bison Grill Bistro is freshly prepared from scratch and cooked to order by our team of talented chefs using the finest organic meat produced on our farm. The 'creativity' and finesse is what has allowed us to have a full restaurant every day for the last 2 weeks with 98% of customers rating their experience as excellent.
I am sorry you found the price to be too high, all our prices are outlined on a menu board outside the entrance and also on the menus given to each customer to order from. The bison burger, served with triple cooked chips, salad and homemade relish, is one of our most popular products priced at £13.50 and this is the first complaint we have received about it in 2 years.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

A really welcome pit stop on route to North Wales from the midlands, hour from Shrewsbury on the A5. This sophisticated farm shop has an excellent restaurant/takeaway. The organic rib eye burgers were superb. You can have bison burgers if you so wish! Snack menu available. Service a little slow but the food is freshly cooked. There is also a good butchers counter, the sausages are great.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Went on the 12th April 2014 and was pleased to see more staff behind the counter than customers. However, after 35 minutes waiting for two burgers I thought I should ask if they could kindly check where my order was. Clearly they didn't think it strange that I was stood at the counter for 35 minutes... Maybe they would have left me there all day. The staff seemed more interested in chatting than serving customers. So it transpired that the kitchen had lost my order. " Ask him for his receipt " (like it was my fault). So 35 minutes of our precious weekend wasted and they hadn't even started preparing our food yet. I don't care about the price. I care about working a gruelling 50/60 hour week and this place wasting my weekend and pleasure time.... I can't comment on the food. It may have been great but I just got a refund and went somewhere where staff are a little more efficient and attentive.

3  Thank kele16v
Reviewed April 13, 2014

As many times before, we called in at Rhug Estate farm shop and café...what a change! We were greeted by a friendly lady and shown to our seats. I wish we had been a bit later so that I could have tried the Bison lasagne! but instead we had tea and a fruit scone with clotted cream and jam, while all the components tasted delicious...it was impossible to spread the cream without smashing the scone...so I ended up eating it with a teaspoon :) (cream far too cold). Had a little look round the farm shop, and while the meats looked fabulous, everything else is standard 'garden centre style' produce. What I really wanted to see was more information in the form of a 'working farm' display area...the history of the estate, how/why they started...why Bison...etc. ..of course I could have missed it...but that would have been because I didn't see any signs. Will definitely call again...at lunchtime! :)