“Excellent refreshing experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 14 Harlech B&B and Inns
“Excellent refreshing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Simon and I chose this bed and brekfast for our first wedding anniversary, and it was indeed a very pleasant and enjoyable experience! The house is amazing, beautifully presented, with lots of very pleasant paintings on the walls, and stunning views from our bedroom. The room itself was very welcoming, clean and attention to details made the difference all throughout our stay. The breakfast menu was excellent and the Welsh full breafast cooked to perfection! The hosts were welcoming, very knowledgable of the area and of Wales, and they had plenty of character and brilliant sense of humour! They made everybody feel at home and cheerful! We strongly recommend it if youa re planning a trip to this stunning region!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Derek and Bridget are quite possibly the nicest hosts ever. We've never had hosts chat to us like we're old friends within minutes of arriving! Nothing was too much trouble for them, so approachable and they make you feel so important. For example, we said to Derek during our two night stay we were visiting Barmouth and he ran back into the house to get a map for us. We wouldn't of seen half of the town if it wasn't for the map so thank you Derek!
Our room was number 3 which was at the back. Such a cosy room, with so much attention to detail. The bed was comfortable and the ensuite was lovely and clean. The information folder in the room was extremely useful, especially for our walk up the hills and for the restaurants. If possible, we'd like to request that room again when we next come to visit.
The breakfast was superb, we recommend the Maelgwyn Special! We had it both mornings, it was that delicious. Apparently it hasn't always been on the breakfast menu, so we felt privileged to have it.
Thank you so much Derek and Bridget for being so kind and making our stay throughly enjoyable. We will come back here definitely!

Amy and Lee.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ay1989
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I cannot praise the owners Derek and Bridget highly enough. Right from the outset, my partner and I were looked after superbly. We felt welcome and important. Maelgwyn is easy to find, there are plenty of parking spaces in front, and the rooms are just cracking. We were put in a room with sea views, and I couldn't have been happier. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spotless, and the soap / shampoo / towels were changed daily. The room was always warm. And we loved the dvd player in the bedroom - a godsend after a long day climbing mountains to be able to settle down with a film.

Derek and Bridget were incredibly attentive without being overbearing - and both were mines of information about the locale. Derek particularly is very useful to interrogate about local tourist attractions and road works!!! The breakfasts, too, were just gorgeous - a wide range of choices, and all cooked with fresh ingredients, and swiftly, too.

Harlech is a really convenient place to stay in North Wales - it has easy transport links to get to Snowdon, Barmouth, Porthmadog and various other touristy places. Apart from that, it's simply very beautiful. We couldn't have wished for better.

I was not disappointed, or let down at all by my Maelgwyn stay - in fact, I'd highly recommend this wonderful family business. I only live in Manchester, so I'm not too far away at all - and my partner and I have already talked about returning in the summer. Neither of us can wait.

David R, Manchester

Chesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just had a stay at Maelgwyn House and had a lovely experience. I had booked a less costly room but on arrival we were upgraded at no extra charge as a better room was available. The room was spacious and comfortable with the most beautiful view across the dunes and beach. Bridget was extremely welcoming without being overbearing and Derek was warm and friendly and full of local knowledge and advice on where to go and what to do. Both my partner and I enjoyed chatting with Derek over breakfast which was absolutley delicious and cooked to perfection. Just what you need before attempting to climb Snowdon! We are already planning our next visit in the summer.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a most beautiful view
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I took my partner away on a road trip type break for her birthday nothing planned or booked so when we arrived in Harlech and drove round and saw Maelgwyn House B&B with its fantastic sea views I had to try and get a room, and did, Bridget was so welcoming and accommodating making us feel instantly welcome and at home, we had stayed in other hotels and B&B's that week and this was our final one and it made the perfect end to a perfect week. Bridget and Derek were very knowledgeable about the local area and gave us lots of places to check out and explore. A fantastic nights sleep in a wonderful room with stunning views and a gorgeous breakfast, Bridget and Derek were perfect hosts and Derek's paintings were brilliant. I would strongly recommend it to anyone I cant fault it in anyway at all we will definitely be back soon. Mark and Jules

Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

First I will start with the rooms. Wow what can I say,apart from our room being at the back and we having a lovely view of the wall next door it was fantastic. The bed area was we'll set out and in a good area. The TVA are ok but they are a bit small.

Secondly the bathrooms, wow!!! They are huge I mean huge!!! They must be the same size as the bed area. The toilet is next to a book shelf and you have a big area to take one!t the shower is nice,new and well cleaned. The sink is tucked away but is alright to use.

Thirldly the food, what can I say... The best full breakfast you will ever have. We'll cooked and the taste is first class. There is no to much or to little. You can have toast too and it's done just right. I would advise for you to have the full welsh breakfast. It's like a English but better!

Lastly the view. Again, wow!!!!! I would have to say its one of or maybe the best view in all of Harlech. If you get room 2 or 3 they are the best views. You can see all over Harlech and snowdonia national park. If you get another room........unlucky, but it's still a good room.

I hope you find this useful and I would Defo reccomend for any type of stay family,solo etc.

Room Tip: Get room 2 or 3
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed for two nights for some R&R following a few hectic weeks at work .This was our second stay at Maelgwyn this year so we knew what to expect, which was ,a wonderful warm welcome, a beautiful room with a stunning view and the best breakfast in any Hotel or B&B we have stayed in ( I even succumbed to the holiday toast! ask Derek for it when you visit).
Both Bridget and Derek are warm, generous and entertaining hosts and it is a pleasure to share their lovely home for a few nights and forget about all the noise and nonsense that gets in the way of life sometimes. Take in the lovely views, walk the fabulous beach and you will soon relax.
Thanks again for a 5 star stay, will not leave it so long next time .
Nb Mrs T really loved the Maelgwyn Special breakfast

Wyn and Della Thomas

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are wonderfully light and have amazing views of the beach, Snowdonia and the Lleyn pen...
1 Thank wyn t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlech
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 2 in Llanfair
Byrdir House
Byrdir House
#7 of 14 in Harlech

Been to Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!