“A Lovely Warm and Friendly B&B”

Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 14 Harlech B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just had a stay at Maelgwyn House and had a lovely experience. I had booked a less costly room but on arrival we were upgraded at no extra charge as a better room was available. The room was spacious and comfortable with the most beautiful view across the dunes and beach. Bridget was extremely welcoming without being overbearing and Derek was warm and friendly and full of local knowledge and advice on where to go and what to do. Both my partner and I enjoyed chatting with Derek over breakfast which was absolutley delicious and cooked to perfection. Just what you need before attempting to climb Snowdon! We are already planning our next visit in the summer.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a most beautiful view

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I took my partner away on a road trip type break for her birthday nothing planned or booked so when we arrived in Harlech and drove round and saw Maelgwyn House B&B with its fantastic sea views I had to try and get a room, and did, Bridget was so welcoming and accommodating making us feel instantly welcome and at home, we had stayed in other hotels and B&B's that week and this was our final one and it made the perfect end to a perfect week. Bridget and Derek were very knowledgeable about the local area and gave us lots of places to check out and explore. A fantastic nights sleep in a wonderful room with stunning views and a gorgeous breakfast, Bridget and Derek were perfect hosts and Derek's paintings were brilliant. I would strongly recommend it to anyone I cant fault it in anyway at all we will definitely be back soon. Mark and Jules

Reviewed April 15, 2014

First I will start with the rooms. Wow what can I say,apart from our room being at the back and we having a lovely view of the wall next door it was fantastic. The bed area was we'll set out and in a good area. The TVA are ok but they are a bit small.

Secondly the bathrooms, wow!!! They are huge I mean huge!!! They must be the same size as the bed area. The toilet is next to a book shelf and you have a big area to take one!t the shower is nice,new and well cleaned. The sink is tucked away but is alright to use.

Thirldly the food, what can I say... The best full breakfast you will ever have. We'll cooked and the taste is first class. There is no to much or to little. You can have toast too and it's done just right. I would advise for you to have the full welsh breakfast. It's like a English but better!

Lastly the view. Again, wow!!!!! I would have to say its one of or maybe the best view in all of Harlech. If you get room 2 or 3 they are the best views. You can see all over Harlech and snowdonia national park. If you get another room........unlucky, but it's still a good room.

I hope you find this useful and I would Defo reccomend for any type of stay family,solo etc.

Room Tip: Get room 2 or 3
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed for two nights for some R&R following a few hectic weeks at work .This was our second stay at Maelgwyn this year so we knew what to expect, which was ,a wonderful warm welcome, a beautiful room with a stunning view and the best breakfast in any Hotel or B&B we have stayed in ( I even succumbed to the holiday toast! ask Derek for it when you visit).
Both Bridget and Derek are warm, generous and entertaining hosts and it is a pleasure to share their lovely home for a few nights and forget about all the noise and nonsense that gets in the way of life sometimes. Take in the lovely views, walk the fabulous beach and you will soon relax.
Thanks again for a 5 star stay, will not leave it so long next time .
Nb Mrs T really loved the Maelgwyn Special breakfast

Wyn and Della Thomas

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are wonderfully light and have amazing views of the beach, Snowdonia and the Lleyn pen...
1  Thank wyn t
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I booked Maelgwyn as a birthday treat for my wife and then developed man-flu the day before we were due to travel, naturally I assumed I would be fine but took the precaution of emailing Bridget and Derek and asking to swop to a twin bedded room. The weather was predicted to be and turned out to be stunning, while we were there, another reason why I was reluctant to cancel. The room swop turned out to be no problem, which is indicative of the owners attitude. They would have been quite within their rights to lower the proverbial portcullis, raise the drawbridge and send us and our germs away with a flea in our ears but not a bit of it, the ebullient Derek and the charming Bridget were hospitality personified. The breakfasts, which we did scant justice to, were ideal with a comprehensive and well thought out cold table and lavish cooked menu, served on top quality porcelain. This high quality B & B deserves all the plaudits it has garnered. If you are into art take your cheque book, Derek has some superb artwork on display and for sale.

Room Tip: Stunning views at the front of the house
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Just been back for for 3 nights in room 1 which was warm and cosy even during the worst storm.so far this year. Bridget and Derek as warm and welcoming as ever, The new Hearty Maelgwyn Special breakfast is something else and there is now a visitors sitting room to relax in. Couldn't be better!

Room Tip: Room 1 has the best panaromic view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We (husband me son and friend) have frequently stayed B & B at Maelgwyn House since 2006. We can only reiterate what others have said. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in or near Harlech because of the comfort, cleanliness, lovely food, beautiful views, superb décor, easy access to eating venues, fabulous works of art and Bridget and Derek who know how to take all the stress away from your everyday life.

From Reg and Julie

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlech
Hotel Portmeirion
#5 of 14 in Harlech
Frondirion
Frondirion
#1 of 2 in Llanfair

Been to Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!