“A real pub as well”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Crackling fire friendly locals and a varied selection of drink. Food not bad either.
The way a pub should be.

1  Thank Abadablum

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Lion is a friendly local pub serving real ales and cheerful pub grub. The landlord and landlady are friendly and welcoming and the food is a broad variety of mainly traditional fayre cooked to a very good standard with a good and timely service. I had the steak and ale pie which was as tasty as any I've ever tried before and there was plenty of it. The atmosphere is lively, bustly and friendly and the log fire very welcoming after a wet walk in the hills behind Harlech. There were a couple of dogs in the bar but this is quite often the norm in a country pub in an area where people come to do hill walking. I must say I fail to see how anyone could call the beautiful Snowdonia coast "shabby" - Harlech is a charming friendly little town with the most stunning coastal and mountain views you could ask for, and the sunsets rival any I have seen anywhere in the world. We will certainly visit the area again and I am already looking forward to the warmth, hospitality and satisfying meal I know I will get in The Lion Hotel.

2  Thank Jayne S
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Pub very unloved and in desperate need of care and attention. My partner ordered a half pint of coke and a small glass of medium white wine which he was charged £8.35. I approached the girl at the bar who had seved my partner and asked her the price of the drinks again as it was her first night working there and I thought she maybe had added it up wrong. No she replied, £ 8.35, there was no sign of a bar manager around to deal with complaints just two young girls. I would not mind paying that price if it had been a quality wine. To top everything the barmaid then starts to tell her other collegue at the top of her voice what I had just approached her about, (not very professional). Pub smelt bad and there were dog hairs all over seating, will not be returning as hygiene and manners is a must when offering a service.

2  Thank karen r
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Pub with decent beer and a friendly welcome but I wouldn't recommend it as a place to stay. Very basic and noisy if you have a room at front. Pay more and go to a traditional B&B.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The landlord and staff of the Lion Hotel were very friendly and helpful. The beers were of a good selection and quality but the food was,at best,indifferent.
The hotel itself,like so much of that coast,was a little shabby and the toilets were a disgrace.
However,I would recommend the pub for a pint on a hot (or indeed wet) summers day.

1  Thank Golani49