“Delicious food, great service, wonderful staff, cosy and clean atmosphere, but value for money - a little disapointing.”
Review of Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar - CLOSED

Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar Caribbean food has its roots in many cultures and influences, from the indigenous Carib and Arawak Indians to French, Spanish, Dutch, British, African, Indian and Chinese. The cuisine is an amalgam of all these influences and offers a wide range of flavours. Caribbean food is spicy but not necessarily hot. The word spicy should be defined as packed full of flavour! For those of you who like hot food hot pepper sauces are available for you to try. When you visit Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar, known locally as "The Caribbean", you're in for a treat. We are the first Caribbean restaurant in Gwynedd, perhaps the whole of North Wales. Experience our unique take on Caribbean food. Creole-style dishes, jerk meats and fish, curries, vegetarian choices are amongst the mouthwatering dishes we offer. The proprietor was born in Trinidad and Tobago, renowned for its creative combinations of spices and sauces. "Trini" cooking provides the basis for many of our dishes. However we serve many popular dishes from across the Caribbean. Our warm and friendly atmosphere will instantly relax you while you listen to the sounds of jazz, soul, blues, reggae, calypso and R&B. Choose from a selection of spirits, wines, beers, cocktails and soft drinks while our attentive staff take your order for dinner. Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar is the perfect destination for your next night out, whether an intimate dinner for two or a large group celebration. Call or email us to reserve your table.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My girlfriend, my 3 month old son and I were passing through Harlech from Portmeirion that day, we stopped off to eat at Castle Restaurant and Armoury Bar. We were made very welcome by the staff and shown upstairs to a cozy, dimmed dining room. The staff were very helpful and strapped my son into a small baby chair and me and my girlfriend ordered our food. The premise was very clean and comfortable, it overlooked the beautiful Harlech Castle and payed tribute to it - which I admired. When our food came, it was delicious and we had a great time. The only thing I can say against Castle Restaurant and Armoury Bar is the value for money. We were in Wales for a whole week and ate in various places such as Port Meirion, Porthmadog, Conwy, Caenarfon and Llandudno. At roughly £17 which was what I paid for my meal, it was the most expensive meal of my holiday and the portion size left me feeling still a little hungry afterwards. Still, Castle Restaurant and Armoury ranks very high in my books. I would go as far as to say it was the best West Indian restaurant I've ever eaten at.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Harlech is not exactly best served in restaurants but we found this little haven of Caribbean delight right next to the Castle. It's cosy, comfortable and very welcoming, serving a superb range of authentic Caibbean delights. Caters equally well for carnivores and veggies and serves awesome desserts. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Castle Restaurant & Armoury Bar is situated in the centre of Harlech opposite the historic Harlech castle.You could throw a stone from the restaurant steps and hit Harlech castle, it is that close. We were greeted by Steve in the bar area, and received a lovely warm welcome by both Steve and Wayne, where we had drinks and a chat with them before being taken upstairs to the restaurant area.
Comfy seats, a great choice of Caribbean food on the menu, my partner and I were already licking our lips, as we love good quality food with added spice.
We opted for starters which were both divine, then the Curry Goat for myself and Jerk & Lime-Seasoned Pork Belly, for my partner. The food was sublime, and melt in the mouth. We were also give a side of Wayne's home made chilli pepper sauce, which was superb, so naturally we asked for another portion, and I would definitely recommend this sauce if you can handle your heat, as it is made with Scotch bonnet chillies.
All in all, a great evening, with lovely food in a great setting, we will definitely be coming back for more.
Thanks again guys for your hospitality. Ten out of ten from us.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Had fancied going to this restaurant but didn't get round to booking before going on holiday - we were delighted to discover they have just started opening for Sunday lunch. Choice of traditional British or Carribean roast (a la carte also available), both were excellent quality, reasonably priced and very generous portions. Lovely ambience, staff friendly and helpful but not overbearing, and child-friendly too. Stunning views of Harlech castle a few metres away. Would thoroughly recommend!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Geat evening had by me and my friends, the restaurant is beautifuly decorated and the ambience was lovely there. The staff were really friendly but not overbearing as some places can be... just politely helpful and easy to talk to. The food tasted amazing, fresh, authentic and the portions were very generous. Dessert was fantastic too and very more'ish... not to mention the varied choice of cocktails on offer. All in all it was a very enjoyable night and i will certainly be returning there soon to try out some more deliciuos and exciting food :)

1  Thank Buddug P