“Small house, large portions”

Ty Hyll - Ugly House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Abertillery, United Kingdom
“Small house, large portions”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Ugly House certainly lives up to its name, but, inside, it's quaint and rustic - and a bit of a tight squeeze. I ordered a very expensive ham sandwich (about £6!), and was dismayed at the size of the portion when it arrived. When is a sandwich not a sandwich? When it comes in doorstep bread, on a dinner plate, surrounded by salad, potato salad, coleslaw and a pot of mustard. No wonder it was so expensive. The portion size put me off, and I only ate one half of the sandwich. The staff kindly wrapped the other half for me to take away, but the rest of the gubbins on the plate was just waste. I wouldn't visit Ugly House again, for that reason, but I will say that the ham inside the sandwich was delicious.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Lots of cheese and very generous portions!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We went to have a look at the Ugly House and then decided to stay for lunch. It was a horrible rainy day but the woodburner was on inside and it was cosy and quirky. I opted for a cheese toasty and the other half for a cheese and pickle sandwich. Both were massive portions, with lots and lots of cheese. It also came with salad, coleslaw and potato salad. Both meals were enjoyed and very filling, and we took half of the sandwich away! Also bought some Sweet Garlic chutney. I did enjoy my meal, but it was a bit on the pricey side but then it was a very large portion. The cakes looked lovely but there was no chance we would have been able to fit some in! Tŷ Hyll is owned by the Snowdonia Society and lovingly maintained and managed by a group of committed volunteers.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Expensive but worth it!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stopped at the Ugly House simply because of the name! We ordered a turkey sandwich, and a ham one.The portions are huge, so if you don't have a big appetite, get one to share!! My turkey sandwich had so much meat it was hanging out the sides of the bread. It came with salad, coleslaw, and potato salad. And it was delicious. I can't remember the last time i ate a sandwich that good... The building is small and quaint, but has lovely gardens. The toilet though is at the top of the garden, but there is a disables one lower down on the flat. I would eat there again... and again... and again!!!! The tea was real tea leaves, with "proper" cups and saucers, and was hot. Fantastic place.

1 Thank milly53
North West
“Incredible home cooked food!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

After camping in Snowdon, we visited The Ugly House on our journey home. I ordered the ham and cheese quiche, my daughter ordered fish cakes and my husband ordered fish platter and fish cakes! Not expecting the portions to be quite so generous!! The food came and we were pleasantly surprised at the portion sizes and requested a doggy bag!
Food,service, price and location was all perfect in every way, we will definitely be visiting again and highly recommend. Forgot to mention, we also took out cakes, they were too hard to resist.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank pht9
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Too expensive for us”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stopped here with the idea of staying for a light lunch. Quickly calculated that it would cost almost £50 for us to have sandwiches, drinks and a cake each (for 5). We decided that we didn't want to be ripped off, so moved on. Also. really struggled with the car parking. A shame.

Visited August 2013