“Excellent accommodation at a great price in a stunning location.”
Review of Plas Curig Hostel

Plas Curig Hostel
“Excellent accommodation at a great price in a stunning location.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends for a walking weekend in Feb '13 and was extremely impressed. Lovely accommodation, all areas of the hostel have been totally refurbished. The communal lounge areas are great, really cosy. The rooms themselves are really nice with comfy beds and there are very well fitted shower rooms. Always plenty of hot water too. Kitchen area has everything you need, including complimentary tea & coffee.

The location of the hostel is simply stunning. We had an amazing view of mount Snowdon on a clear day.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hostel to anyone and look forward to hopefully staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want a good night sleep in a new generation hostel this is great. Very up to date, privet bunks and warm. This was our saviour when we got washed off the mountain. The pub just down the road is also good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I must say that I am surprised by the review from simonp820.  I have just returned from my third stay at Plas Curig with my five children and two dogs and have, as on every other occasion, found the whole experience, from booking to checking out, remarkably easy and highly enjoyable.  The online booking system and confirmation is very straightforward: if you don’t show within the cancellation period then they take your money, a system that is used in lots of hostels we have stayed in. I can only presume that simonp820 had some sort of technical glitch?

The thing that always gets me is that the hostel far exceeds expectations.  The welcome from the very friendly team is always warm, nothing appears to be too much trouble and the decor is quite outstanding - not your average hostel here!  My children love the bunk beds with their privacy curtains and enough space on one bed for them all to gather and play cards - we take a 6 bed dorm and there is plenty of room for all our gear and the dogs and what a joy to arrive to ready made beds after a very long drive. The catering facilities are great (I just wish some people would leave it as they found it....) and the Loos and showers are wonderful. We love going and we will definitely be returning. And the beer and food at the Bryn Tyrch next door are always excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AAMac25, Owner at Plas Curig Hostel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your support Robert, It's very much appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you and your lovely family (including the furry kind) again next year.
Have a very Merry Christmas
Best wishes as always
Amy :)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had the most wonderful time staying here with my family in November. We were a group of 6 with 2 small children and our dog Cabbage (Amy he managed the journey fine thanks for your sweet email)
I was shocked to see the negative review just listed on here. This hostel is wonderful, the service from the owner Amy (and her boyfriend who took us on a brilliant guided walk) was faultless, it didn't seem like there was a wrong side of her to get on??
Everything from booking online to leaving after 4 days of heaven was a dream come true and that is all thanks to this wonderful hostel Amy has created. Her dedication and customer service is something she should be proud of. Why don't you come and see for yourself - you wont regret one moment! We have booked again in June next year with a group of 30 and we CANT WAIT! See you then!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 9 - it had amazing vies and was so close to the bathroom it was almost en-suite!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I'll start this review by stating that I've stayed here before and left a 5* review (which you can read below). Sadly, my experience when trying to book a second stay was very, very different.

I emailed the hostel asking if they had availability to which I received a rather curt reply stating yes but that I should book online. I instantly had concerns but chose to given them the benefit of the doubt assuming they were just busy.

No confirmation email was received for my booking so I went back to the booking form only to see the room was still available! I checked my card statement and no attempt had been made to take payment. At this point I had lost all confidence and decided to book instead the Premier Inn in Bangor.

So I was surprised to awake the morning after my visit to Snowdonia to an email saying, as I was a no-show, my card had been charged. I politely replied explaining the booking situation and asked why I would book two different accommodations for the same night - this is where the accusations started flying. No customer service at all just comments such as "We cannot be held responsible for problems at the customers end". I explained that I was a regular visitor to the area and that perhaps they would want to try and retain my future business and that of my friends and colleagues. The owner agreed to speak to her partner about a refund. Three days later, no reply had been received so I sent an email chasing. Six further days later still no reply had been received so I chased again, more firmly, stating if I did not receive a satisfactory reply I would report the issue to my bank and leave appropriate feedback on TripAdvisor.

Following a selection of shocking replies from a business to its customer I stated that I would include them in my TripAdvisor review to which I received "I will recharge your card immediately if you do that." I pointed out that this would, plain and simply, be fraud.

I have been absolutely gobsmacked at the immaturity and lack of business sense shown by the owner here which is why I'm sharing this with the TripAdvisor community.

No doubt the hostel will reply to this review with their take on the situation. Perhaps they will apologise, admit their unprofessionalism and welcome me back. Or perhaps not!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
16 Thank AAMac25
Our booking system - it is a nationwide system used by lots of other accommodation providers and if we receive your booking you are instantly emailed a conformation. The one cannot be received without the other and this is how the booking system works.

Obviously people have problems with typing in their correct emails on the form or their email settings send certain emails to Junk, which will mean they don't think they have received their conformation. On the very rare occasion this has happened people usually call us. How can we be responsible for this if you did not call?

We only take bookings online. This is clearly stated on the website as it is a secure way to store your card details rather than over the phone - this was explained in our automated email to you as you did not email during office hours - again office hours are stated on the website. Our automated email does get sent out to many customers and none have complained about it being curt before. We also don't take payment upon booking, again that is clearly stated on-line hence why you didn't see it on your bank statements.

In summary:
We got your booking, you didn't show, we charged your card, then you got upset so we refunded it.

We are sorry you lost your confidence while using our simple booking system. We were dubious that you would go as far to leave your card details online and then not follow up your booking with a phone call to us if you had a problem with your computer? It would have been very easy for you to pick up the phone...

We refunded you as good customer service, we apologise this took 6 days but as it is against our policy to refund someone who did not turn up to stay. We had to contact our accounts department and our business partners for authorisation and this takes time. This was explained to you via a very pleasant email.

The reason you have been asked never to return to our hostel is because,despite me having explained all of the above to you, you still wrote this review and still continue to send us threatening emails about how you are going to spread the word to other places about our terrible customer service. I feel very strongly that your actions are particularly unkind and it has caused a lot of upset to my family and I as we have worked so hard to create a welcoming and homely hostel.

You stated in your review and we quote "I chased again, more firmly, stating if I did not receive a satisfactory reply I would report the issue to my bank and leave appropriate feedback on TripAdvisor"

We are confused because we emailed you back immediately and refunded your card and are now not sure what more we can do? We refunded you. We will let you keep your review for all to see, rather than get it removed again, in the hope it will put a stop to your animosity.

With another 54 excellent reviews all mentioning how good the customer service is I'm sure other readers will draw their own conclusions.

We will not apologise or welcome you back - in fact we can only be flattered that you wrote this review because you are so upset you can't come back to our hostel.

To any customers who may be put off by this review - We are more than happy to go into more detail with you if you contact us direct.

Kind regards
Amy (one of the owners)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Plas Curig Hostel is the best Hostel I have ever used. I took a group of 16 there and all enjoyed it. I think we were looked after extremly well and even when there was a small proble it was dealt with efficiently and promptly. We would all deffinatly use it again.

Chris Fahy

Room Tip: They are all good rooms with good amenities
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Seafahy
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently stayed here for one night whilst on a very swift two day trip to Snowdonia. Although our time in the hostel was short, we found all areas to be spotlessly clean, warm and very tastefully decorated.

I cannot comment on the kitchen/cooking or lounge facilities, but it must be said the eight bed dorm we resided in was more than adequate with private curtains on each bunk, huge fluffy duvets, crisp sheets and good quality mattresses. Storage was also adequate too. The shower/wash facilities were very good (generally I don’t like ‘push button’ showers the ones I used here during our trip were well maintained, and as so, I had no issues).

In summery: A beautiful building in a stunning and convenient location with clean, well decorated interior spaces and all for more than competitive room tariffs (considering location). Visitors will almost certainly pick up on the passion invested in this establishment with a youthful yet traditional feel that lends itself well to its surroundings. A real gem in the national park’s crown – give it a go, you will not be disappointed. We shall return.

N.B. I was very surprised to see the hostel quiet but I can imagine trade to be extremely seasonal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Plas Curig Hostel? Share your experiences!