“Birthday meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pen-y-Bryn

Pen-y-Bryn
Ranked #3 of 80 Restaurants in Colwyn Bay
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Llandudno
“Birthday meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Sunday 18th August we enjoyed a family meal at Pen-y-Bryn. I was pleased our orders were taken at the table which is a recent change to the previous system of ordering at the bar. Staff were courteous and very friendly. Food was of a good standard. I enjoyed the Beef dinner. The meat was cooked well- succulent, just how it should be! My daughter enjoyed egg, ham and chips and my son devoured the fish in batter with chips. Husbands 8oz burger was tasty . Only gripe would be that the rolls for the burger are bought in and not homemade. All in all a lovely evening.

1 Thank SyracLlandudno

N Wales
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dined here on a Friday evening to celebrate Mother in Laws birthday. Food as expected, good choice and adequate portions. First time that we have been under the new waiter service and Stephen was looking after our table, he did so with exactly the right mix of attentiveness, offers of advice (offering half portion of fish for Mother in Law - perfect) and humour! Definitely a positive addition to the establishment.

Bodelwyddan, United Kingdom
“Unimpressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have been visiting this restaurant for a number of years but sadly we have decided that nice decor and lively atmosphere alone can't justify the high price for below average food and service we have been experiencing over the past three occasions. During our last visit for a family celebration meal 2 portions of fish were very overdone (looked like they had been re-fried) and the vegetables were shrivelled and barely warm. There were only about two and a half strawberries in the so called strawberries and cream dessert which we did point out to the waitress when she asked if everything was all right but no apology or explanation was offered - it's as though the staff are told to ask the question at the end of your meal but without any intention of passing on the comments.

Unfortunately far from being a celebration we encountered such bad service - even when it came to our drinks, after the waitress took our drinks orders at the table and the drinks then being brought to us, half way through drinking she came up and asked for my 20 yr old daughter's identification, which she produced - nothing wrong in asking for ID, but surely this would have been more appropriate at the time she ordered the drink rather than later on - followed by lots of sniggering between the waiting staff thereafter - not sure what was going on there but it didn't look at all professional and made us feel very uncomfortable. Prior to about a year ago, Pen y Bryn was always a pleasurable experience but I certainly won't risk experiencing another expensive disaster there again.

4 Thank Jill P
clwyd
“Smooth Coordination must remain the ethos here !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

The recent mixed reviews of this very good establishment perhaps reflects the need for it to adapt to the current Economic challenges. Also perhaps the high regard locals have for the Manager has resulted in some current comments. The food in quality and choice remains very good and occasionally top rate. Local beer selections and wines add to the care in responding to customer expectations. The coordination from kitchen to service to table however is not what it was - though the courtesy and willingness to please remains. Mixed up orders, late arrivals occur even at slow times with plenty of staff on duty.

Known for its ' mostly ex - public school ' front of house staff - the Pen y Bryn is the place to take your girlfriend, wife or great aunt - but be clear on what you want and don't be afraid to assess progress of order. The recents addition of triarche system rather than counter ordering has complicated the ' food chain ' and added to delays and confusion.

I would urge fans to remain loyal to what must be the best eating place for miles.

Lle da efo bwyd ac acen bendigedig . Prisiau rhesymol iawn.

Prestatyn, United Kingdom
“Truly scrumptious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday treat as it is one of my favourite places to eat locally. The vegetarian selection can be somewhat limited, but what there is, is usually tasty. On this occasion I had the Llanrwst cheddar cheese, leek and sweet potato pie. I have to say it was absolutely beautiful - I relished every mouthful. The only criticism I would make is that considering it cost £11 the piece of pie was rather small and there was only a handful of vegetables - I was so glad I ordered a side order of chips! My husband had sliced duck breast and dauphinoise potatoes which he thoroughly enjoyed, although again the portion was not that large for the £16 that it cost. For pudding we shared a sticky toffee pudding and ice cream - wow was that good!! To sum up, the meal was really lovely and we did enjoy it, and yes we would definitely go there again but I would rate it even more so if the portions were a little more generous considering the prices charged. I would definitely recommend the Pen y Bryn for entertaining family and friends.