“Poor animals!”

Welsh Mountain Zoo
Ranked #2 of 32 things to do in Colwyn Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This conservation zoo has a wide range of rare and endangered animals from around the world.
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I've just got back from a day out in Wales with my partner and our first stop was the welsh mountain zoo. We've been to Chester zoo a couple of time lately so we gave there a go it was cheaper so wasn't expecting the vast array of animals but it was like going back in time all the animals where in cage like enclosures like I remember from trips to zoo's when I was a little boy. We first saw well smelt the penguins which smelt awful and they didn't look much better they were all red and featherless and looked sun burnt! They have a very large alligator there in what I would call a paddling pool and the alligator must be pushing 11feet long.
As well as the poor state of the animals and there enclosures the zoo isn't very well sign posted to where the animals are the zoo is spread over quite a big mountain side and it's sometimes a decent walk before you see anything unless you call 2 ravens in an enclosure anything to look at.
Overall not worth the £10 we paid each to get in when Chester is down the road!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,765)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"ice cream"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Since my last visit 12yr ago, in my opinion very bad, took us 2hrs to walk around, animals enclosures in my opinion weren't large enough, animals looked very sad, visit Chester zoo instead!!

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited the mountain zoo today as a family outing.
Got there for 11am which was the perfect time to get there.
Got to see the chimpanzee show, the bird show and the sea lion show in the first 2 hours of our visit.
Plenty of places to have a relaxed picnic (weather permitting), and nice and leisurely to look around after lunch.
Had a good 4 hours looking round and taking pictures.
Staff were knowledgable and informative.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Took my granddaughter here for her first trip to the zoo, she is only 10 months old but she got really excited looking at the meerkats and monkeys. I think if you want to see a lot of different animals and species then it would be worth your while going to chester zoo instead. It only took a couple of hours to walk around this zoo while Chester can take you all day. The eateries at the welsh mountain zoo were poor whilst at chester seem a lot better. There was a good adventure playground for children. All in all if you are in the Colwyn bay area and don't want to travel very far this zoo is adequate but I think it is worth travelling to Chester Zoo and there is not a huge difference in price as the welsh mountain zoo charge £10.95 an adult to get in.