“Another pub with good food”
Review of White Lion Inn

White Lion Inn
Ranked #9 of 84 Restaurants in Colwyn Bay
Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The White Lion is possibly the oldest country Pub and Restaurant in North Wales with parts of the building reputed to date back over 1200 years. We offer a wide selection of food from sandwiches to beautiful home cooked food, fine wines, and cask conditioned real ales, all served up in a friendly relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have been here three or four times over the past year, and have always enjoyed the food.

It's straight-forward pub food, in old-fashioned but comfortable surroundings, so don't go expecting a gastro-pub experience or you may be disappointed.

We like it the way it is - the menu is varied, and the food is good. Service can be a bit haphazard (cutlery forgotten one visit, and no serving spoon for vegetables or mint sauce another time) but it had certainly improved a great deal last time we were there. Waiting staff have improved too, and were friendly and efficient on our last visit. We will definitely be back next month when we are in the area again.

There are newer reviews for White Lion Inn

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Food was lovely service was brilliant atmosphere great the mash potato was excellent with a great steak and kidney pie was gorgeous 10 out of 10

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have been asked by Tripadvisor to re-write two of my previous reviews this week because I mentioned other reviewers which is not allowed under their code. Last week I ate 4 times at the White Lion, including the Steak & Kidney pie which I found delicious. I was assured by the Landlord and his wife that they do not use SMASH and was invited into the kitchen where there was non to be found but there were lots of sacks of real potatoes. Other meals I had included the Gammon steak which always a favourite of mine when I visit the White Lion as I have never tasted better; it is certainly not prepared in a microwave and it came with lots of crisp chips. The prices at the White Lion are not the cheapest but are very competitive for the area when you consider the quality and quantity you receive. One always gets a cross section of reviews of establishments on Tripadvisor but when I plan where my wife and I wish to stay or eat I always put greater weight on the opinions of people who have offered many reviews from many locations around the country or even the world. I strongly recommend the White Lion but please go and judge for yourselves, you won't be disappointed.

NinaCole, Owner at White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

“Thank you, glad you enjoyed coming, it was great to see you again. Simon & Nina”.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Was taken here today 20th sept by my mum to celebrate my birthday as she had been quite a few times and enjoyed the food specially the turkey baguettes which they don't seem to do them no more so we ordered the bacon bri and cranberry and a side of chips by the unfriendly bar staff !! We should of know when we arrived the car park was empty I know it was just after 12 but we thought it might pick up and a few more customers would come but they didn't., I couldn't believe how quick the food came so we knew it was thrown together the bacon was little bits of ham from a catering pack thrown on top we were both expecting slices of bacon cooked freshly and the chips were frozen and to be honest they were not very hot and
neither was the baguette my mum could not eat all hers and I felt sorry for her as she was so looking forward to taking me there but wasn't her fault the standard has gone downhill they need to get back to how it was all previous reviews about being frozen food are right. This is a honest review ,will not be going back not at all welcoming what a disappointment .

5  Thank suzy2011conwy

Dear Suzi

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal. We genuinely value feedback -good or bad! If you would like to call me I will arrange for you and Mum to have Turkey baguettes -or any other filling for which we may have the ingredients with our compliments, free of charge. We appreciate your custom and would ask that if anyone has an issue with our food or service at the White Lion, please raise it on the day and we will always attempt to put it right there and then.

Kind regards

Nina

Reviewed September 18, 2013

After receiving a recommendation from Susan at the Ffarm Country House, we drove through the countryside to find this wonderful pub. The proprietor and the bar customers were very friendly and welcoming to this big Texan and his proper Texas accent. The menu was substantial and the dishes served were well prepared and very tasty although a bit slow out of the kitchen. Good wine selections. Well recommended.

1  Thank Prof Bob