“Amazing Service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberaeron
Harbourmaster Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely weekend at the Harbourmaster. The biggest asset to this Hotel is the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them. My Partner needs to have a Gluten Free diet and this is by far one of the best places we have been to cater for this. The staff we knowledgeable about the ingredients in the food available and were able to make alterations to dishes so they were suitable. The food here was of a very high standard with a great choice. The views of the harbour from the bar, restaurant and our room was great, you could sit all day and take in the view. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Harbourmaster Hotel

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I recently spent three nights in the Harbourmaster while on a business trip. What a pleasant stay it was! From smooth and quick check-in to being asked if I wanted help with my bags, to being showed the features of the room, my first impression was very good.

The bathroom was well appointed and spacious with a bath and a shower. I'm particular about my showers and this did not disappoint having the capacity to be more powerful and hot than I would expect.

The food in the bar was fantastic and the restaurant food (also available to eat in the bar) was superb, especially for the price. I'd like to make a special mention of Carys, the particularly helpful (and attractive!) staff member who never failed to look after me and my colleagues.

My only gripe is that I could quite clearly hear one side of the phone conversation in the room next door, but I think he was particularly loud as the recent rain and high winds did not make it a sleepless night.

The next time I'm working in the area I'll not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3 (called Oronsa) which was on the first floor and had a great view of the harbour...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband booked a couple of nights at the Harbourmaster for a birthday treat for me after several recommendations from family and friends. This was our first visit. First impressions were rather mixed - the room at the front of the hotel with sea views was very pleasant, well furnished and clean. However when we arrived we had to check in at the desk in the bar area which was a bit strange The receptionist was rather cool and offhand and offered us no assistance with our luggage that we had to carry up two windy steep flights of stairs.
The walls of the rooms seemed quite thin for an old building and we could hear people in other rooms, TV and bathroom notices from several rooms around us.
We decided to eat in the bar on the first night and in the restaurant on the second night. The bar was incredibly noisy, so much so that it was difficult to hold a conversation. A few soft furnishings or wall sound absorbing wall panels would help reduce the noise a lot.
I am vegetarian as well as needing a gluten free diet so we had checked with the hotel before arriving that there would be a range of suitable food available. We ordered a few entrees of olives, humus etc which were horrible. The olives were weird tasting and the humus had no taste at all. It seemed that some chickpeas had just been food processed with no garlic, lemon juice or seasoning. It's actually quite difficult to get a simple recipe so wrong so this did not install confidence for the following courses. The pear and local welsh cheese salad starter was actually very nice. Disappointingly there was only one vegetarian meal on the menu (there were loads of meat and fish options for my husband) which was a vegetable stew with a slice of goats cheese on top. It looked very unappetising and tasted even worse than it looked. It was just a pile of chopped bog standard vegetable like carrots and peas in a very hot tomatoe sauce. It was so spicy that I could not eat it. A waitress and the manager asked if our food was OK after delivering the food to our table. When I told both of them separately that I could not eat it they both just said 'sorry about that' and walked away. There was no attempt to rectify the situation or offer me any alternative food. We waited ages for someone to come and clear the table and in the end we had to ask - were never visited again to be offered a dessert or coffee so we left and went back to our room. It wasn't even that busy so it was hard to overlook us - the staff were just plain rude and completely unattentive. The service at breakfast was no better and when I asked for three slices of gluten free toast ( that was all I asked for - i wasn't having anything else) I was told I could only have two slices as they had run out! We decided not to eat in the restaurant the following evening and went to somewhere a few minutes away and had a fantastic meal and excellent service.
We gave our feedback to the duty manager when we were checking out. She was very pleasant but all she could say was 'sorry about that - I wish I could do something' and then proceeded to do nothing. She said that all the staff have been trained in customer service and waiting at tables but we saw no evidence of that. I suggested that they visit the other restaurant we went to so they could see what good service looked like.
We will definitely not be returning to this hotel. It's such a shame as it is in an excellent location but the people just do not care about their customers and the food was below standard. If you are vegetarian or need any special dietary requirements, if you want value for money and good service I would advise avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StanleyGBeds
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We've holidayed in many 5 star hotels around the globe that have fallen short in comparison to the Harbourmaster. Although our room wasn't in the main building or one of the fanciest for that matter (we could only get a room in one of the cottages due to availability). It nevertheless met, then exceeded, all our expectations. The location is fantastic, the decor is minimal and elegant and the extra touches - water, robes, excellent tea & coffee facilities etc - all added up to a wonderful stay. The icing on the cake however is the breakfast. It's divine. I won't bother boring you with the details, just book and find out for yourself. The place is a treat!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have just returned from a nights stay at the Harbourmaster Hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a relaxing break. The hotel staff were great, the rooms perfect and the food and wine list superb. We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It's said that the most important aspect of a Hotel is location. Well the Harbour Master certainly has that,situated as it is, at the harbour entrance to Aberaeron.A very warm and cheery welcome on arrival with help to our bedroom. The bedroom was well proportioned with excellent furnishings, a bathroom that featured all the latest in showers, baths. etc. There was a delightful balcony that looks out to sea. Shame we visited in Winter. As it was we were there during those tremendous pre-Christmas gales and we had a bit of a sleepless night with the rain lashing at the windows as if someone was drumming on the panes. We keep positive by imaging just how wonderful this would be in the summer, as this is just the perfect base for exploring the delights of Aberaeron and its pretty coloured houses.
The bar area is spacious, well designed the U-shaped bar the serves a wide selection of excellent wines, beers and spirits.
Unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked for a private Christmas party, but not to worry, as a dinner reservation was made for us in the Bar.
The menu includes dishes to suit every palate and with many meals having a Welsh twist. Excellent
Aberaeron is a great place to visit and the Harbour Master just about the best for hospitality. Visit for a meal, or stay for a period. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Came to the harbourmaster for a family meal with a bunch of fussy people!!

1 vegetarian, 1 celiac, 1 lactose intolerant & 1 snob!

I hate going for food with my family but, as far as I'm aware, no one ordered anything that wasn't on the menu. Everyone loved the food. Mine was amazing!

The bar staff & servers were so nice, I couldn't fault anything!

I'd definitely come back & recommend the harbourmaster to everyone!!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank HardtobeatWales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Feathers Royal Hotel
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Y Talbot
Y Talbot
#1 of 1 in Tregaron

Been to Harbourmaster Hotel? Share your experiences!