“Slow service, small portions”
Review of Restaurant 20 - CLOSED

Restaurant 20
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Some friends were staying at this hotel for the night, so we joined them for an evening meal in the restaurant. I was never asked if I'd like a drink by the waitress, so stuck to the tap water she brought us in plentiful supply all night. We ordered our meals (10 of us in total) and waited one hour and fifteen minutes for our food to arrive. Not all the meals arrived together, so two of the party were halfway through eating theirs by the time the last ones were served. The only vegetarian option was an uninspiring pasta dish, so the veggie in our party opted for 2 starters as a main, which was not something the waitress herself was able to suggest. I ordered the salmon which came with a tasty sauce (can't remember what it was called on the menu), 6 small halves of saute potatoes, 1 piece of barely cooked broccoli which was impossible to cut and 2 pieces of cauliflower similarly hardly cooked. The salmon fillet was disappointingly small although well cooked. Others ordered the duck (small portions again) and steaks (well cooked but accompanied by Macdonald style frites, not chunky handcooked chips if that's what you prefer with your steak). A few brave people ordered Tiramisu for pudding, which turned out to be a solid, dry piece of gateau. One friend requested some pouring cream to make it more palatable, but the waitress returned from the kitchen to say they had no cream. She was offered ice cream as an alternative. The waitress was polite but did not have good English. My main course cost £15.95 which I considered expensive given the portion size. Overall a very disappointing meal and I will not return.

1  Thank louiseholistic

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food was very tasty and there was plenty of it. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. I would recommend a meal here even if you were a small group.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We would recommend this restaurant for both couples and families, the food was excellent with a good menu selection and efficient service, we had a quiet table overlooking the town. Despite the restaurant being quite busy, we never felt hurried. We would definitely go back again.

1  Thank Jane L
Reviewed June 6, 2012

After a lovely weekend in Aberaeron, with some good and some average meals, my girlfriend and I had our last meal of the holiday here and are very glad we did too. Very welcoming staff and a lovely upstairs room, well laid out and relaxing. Limited menu but well thought out. I had a Pepe Nero Chicken, a large chicken breast served in a piquant, mustardy sauce - delicious! Served with a selection of oven roasted vegetables and a side order of garlic bread. My girlfriend enjoyed a Cajun Salmon steak which was equally delicious. A weekend or indulgence precluded exploring the menu further. Great food at a reasonable price.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed in a cottage locally and had Sunday lunch at Restaurant 20 in the Castle Hotel and really enjoyed it. The service was also very friendly and efficient.