All reviewslovely atmosphereyorkshire puddingserved by friendly staffhundred yardsappointed roomsmiddle of townsunday lunchnext morningpotatoeswest walesspecials boardan evening mealcooked breakfastset us up for the daycomfortable bedcooked to perfectionthe bank holiday weekend
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were so impressed with the menu, sadly it would appear rather ambitious and beyond the capabilities of the kitchen staff.

We questioned the waiting staff about portion sizes re: ordering for our children. Her response was that she had no idea how much our children eat, so couldn't comment! Would it be wrong to expect staff to know their menu and portion sizes?!

Our starters arrived, and we were asked if we'd like salt & pepper with it??? Surely such condiments would normally be on the table?!

The food was average. The fish options seem to be their strength, although the portion sizes are less than generous. Salad bowls are served with everything, seasonal veggies and boiled potatoes. The basics are there, the more ambitious options need to be scaled down! Stick to what you're good at!!!

Ultimately the icing on the cake was the pudding choices. Very delicious lemon & lime cheesecake and Baileys creme brûlée- both very generous and the best part of our experience. However I have never been offered ice cream or cream with a cream brûlée?!

I really do think this could be a superb place. The menu needs to be carefully considered, the visitors book suggests as much- do the staff read it?? Previous guests had suggested that foid had merely come straight from the freezer, via the microwave to the table!
The cheap paper napkins should be replaced with linen, condiments should be available on tables for guests to use as they please and most importantly the toilet should have the basics hand soap and
towels at least!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Small very clean room above a pub - well decorated and not any noisier than you would expect. Good value but let down by breakfast which was disappointing with one overstretched waitress!! Food was not hot and there was not much choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at the Castle Hotel last Friday, and considering there was eighteen of us in the party, the service was superb. The food was very tasty and superbly presented. Our group varied in ages from mums and dads to kids, but every one had a enjoyed their meals. We will be making a point of going to eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked for Saturday evening in August near Bank Holiday. Although busy, the waitresses were attentive and very helpful and friendly. I had dressed crab with lime dressing (to die for!). And hubby had sea bass with lemon butter sauce, beautiful. Lovely new pots and veg as well. Dessert (vanilla creme brulee) was to be shared but I never did get to try it. My husband said it was the best he had ever tasted. lovely filter coffee strong but not bitter. I understand Frederic chefs Wednesday - Saturday. Don't miss this, we will DEFINATELY be returning regularly as we live locally.
Sorry I can't comment about the rooms but we isn't stay .

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LibbyOWalesuk
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Lunch time food was ok, nothing special but not too bad.
The "Real Ale" beer was the closest I have tasted to vinegar for a long while.
When I told the manager that the beer was not right he stated that there was nothing wrong with it, later saying it may be "a little bit off" and charged me 30 pence extra for a pint of fizzy lager, which I was not too impressed about but I knew should be drinkable.
The barman apologised and said that he would not have charged me the extra money but the manager told him to do so.
The manager did tell me ten minutes later that he had changed the barrel as it had gone, not an apology, just a statement.
Try The Cadwgan just down the road for a really good pint.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank highleyborn
castle05, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

I feel that there has been a misunderstanding the real ale in question had reached the end of the barrel and is never the same as the first pint! when I went down to change over the real ale the customer did not wish to wait and ordered a pint of lager and it was his decision to pay the extra .we were prepared to let the customer have a new pint of the real ale at no extra cost as well as the lager.
However we failed to reach an agreement .We do pride ourselves on our real ale and we continue to change our selection frequently from Doombar to Evan Evans etc We continue to listen to our customers and find there comments very important
We also have the largest range of imported lagers on tap in the vicinity including Leffe Hoegaarden and Peroni